Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 security vulnerabilities

afitz485
Tutor

CAX80 security vulnerabilities

I am considering the CAX80 as my new modem to work with Xfinity's internet access.

I have been unable to find information on whether this modem/router has the Cable Haunt vulnerability or not.

I read CAX80 is one of the few modems that you can upgrade the firmware yourself without relying on the ISP provider.

Did anyone face any problems with the ISP provider regarding firmware upgrades ?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

f you are a NETGEAR customer with a security-related support concern, you can contact NETGEAR customer support at techsupport.security@netgear.com. 

For all other issues, visit http://www.netgear.com/about/security

The user loaded FW is ONLY for the router portion of the modem. ISPs are still responsible for testing and pushing modem FW to user modems. Users can not update the modem FW. Be aware that some ISPs will not update modem FW on user owned modems. You'll need to consult with the ISP regarding this. 

Message 2 of 6
My_Username
Guide

Seems you may have read partial information. You *can* update the router side of this device only. Cable modem firmware is only updateable by the ISP per DOCSIS 3.1.

Message 3 of 6
afitz485
Tutor

I have not been able to find any information on whether the CAX80 is affected by Cable Haunt. This is a pretty serious vulnerability. Has anyone contacted Netgear or their ISP providers regarding this flaw in their cable modems?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact your ISP and see. Might check DSLReports.com as well. Though I haven't see much regarding that there. Only one item was the intel chip set problem found on Intel based modems years ago. This Cable haunt is two years old. Haven't seen much or any activity on it. I've had my CAX80 online for a couple of years. Recently put it back online in modem mode.

Message 5 of 6
afitz485
Tutor

Cable Haunt is 2yrs old - but not that old to have nothing on the web regarding the ISP providers & modem manufacturers response to it. At the very least I expected the companies to address the vulnerability with a firmware version that has the fix. 

Otherwise, sounds like a good piece of hardware.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7