Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 seeming firmware issues

Archers
Tutor

CAX80 seeming firmware issues

I have been struggling with my Nighthawk CAX80 and driven up the wall with Netgear's technical support that just wants to shove their premium paid support down your throat without considering that there is actually something wrong with their firmware/hardware. 

I suddenly seem to have an issue where every time I connect to my modem/router it is as if its is for the first time. Accepting terms and conditions and setting a password and security questions. It also won't hold any settings I change, it reboots and has me set up credentials again just to find that all settings are back to default. 

Some websites seem to only work some of the time and I found others with seemingly the same issues here https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/cax80-firmware-v2126-issues/6140a996ef553...

I have installed all the firware available on NG website and done multiple factory resets but I still have the same issues seemingly related to IPv4, the boot loop effect and settings that won't hold. 

Does anyone have any advice as NG themself don't seem interested to fix this problem although it seems well documented by others as well

Regards

Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

After loading FW, did you factory reset by using the ERASE button on the CAX web page or the reset button in back? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Be sure the coax line from the ISP IS connected or the CAX will auto reboot on it's own if its not connected or there is no signal on the line. This is something NG intro'd in this model modem. Not sure if I like this feature. Smiley Embarassed

I've loaded v2.1.3.5 on my CAX last week and have been Ok since. Thought I think I saw simiar reset that didn't seem to reset, I was expecting 192.168.1.1 to appear and my normal 192.168.0.1 was still set. I had not set anything else up as from last time I had the CAX in router mode, I hadn't done anything. My CAX80 has beein in modem only mode since last year. 

I confirmed this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CAX80-can-t-upload-5GHZ/td-p/2158905/jump-to/f...

Seems to be some issues with 5Ghz. Causing one of my cameras to constantly disconnect and reconnect. 

Message 2 of 24
Archers
Tutor

Good day, thanks for the prompt response.

What Firmware version is currently loaded? As of this morning I was forced to "upgrade" to V2.1.3.5 again through the Nighthawk app. When this issue started yesterday my modem was auto updated to the latest version, I downgraded to 2.1.1.4, back to 2.1.3.5 (forced), 2.1.2.6, back to 2.1.3.5 (forced), 2.1.1.4 again and then the latest again this morning. Update - back to 2.1.1.4

After loading FW, did you factory reset by using the ERASE button on the CAX web page or the reset button in back? I originally didn't factory reset until I tried everything else I could think of, but then I used the reset button. After seemingly no effect the reset on the software page, after seemingly no effect the 30-30-30 reset, after no effect a 60-60-60 reset.

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Checked again this morning, all good

Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly. Reprovisioned this morning, no change
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. No Splitters
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. Indeed
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON. Did this, also at one point unplugged for 30+ minuetes

Is there any way to get a hold of technical support to resolve or to get an older firmware version

Regards

Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Open up a support ticket and let NG support know whats going on:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

@Archers

What Firmware version is currently loaded? As of this morning I was forced to "upgrade" to V2.1.3.5 again through the Nighthawk app. When this issue started yesterday my modem was auto updated to the latest version, I downgraded to 2.1.1.4, back to 2.1.3.5 (forced), 2.1.2.6, back to 2.1.3.5 (forced), 2.1.1.4 again and then the latest again this morning. Update - back to 2.1.1.4
Im curious, if you revert FW back to something old and do not use the NH App, will the modem remain at the version you installed?

Message 5 of 24
Archers
Tutor

Thank you, I created a ticket with them last night but they won't do a think unless I authorize a payment of I believe $60

Message 6 of 24
Archers
Tutor

I do manage to stay on 2.1.1.4 if I don't open the app. Although it still has all the same issues unfortunately. Among other having you accept terms and conditions and setting up passwords and security questions everytime the modem restarts and also not commiting gateway IP changes.  I have since dug out all my Access Points behind TV's and other areas they were buried to reset all as they have all fixed IP's in the wrong range now since I cant force the modem. 

I was desperately looking to find even older versions but to no avail

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using to setup the router? Does MS Edge, FireFox Or Opera experience same thing when trying to set or configure the modem? 

Message 8 of 24
Archers
Tutor

I have used Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge throughout the day to try and have the modem save the settings. Unfortunately no success

Message 9 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

How long had you had the modem? 

Ya seems like this is a FW/HW issue. You might reach out to a forum moderator and ask for help and information on this. This needs to be reviewed. 

@DarrenM 

Message 10 of 24
Archers
Tutor

Thanks for all your help. Its been 5 and a half months that was really smooth sailing. Thanks I'll see if @DarrenM responds here, else I'll send him a message

Message 11 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 24
Jimmyfoxx
Aspirant

I have had a similar issue. Sometime friday I cannot connect to the router at all. Tried power cycling, reset, NG "shock reset". I cant even get to the routers information and setting using 192.168.1.1. Turned off all firewalls and still cannot access it. Contact NG, after 2 hours on hold and another hour of resets, pinging, more resets and more pinging, they finally sent me another CAX80. Still having same issue with the refurbished one they have sent over. I tried using a different laptop to ping the routers, results still ranging from 37%-100% loss. 

It is wierd that the refurbish one has the same exact problem as the original unit. Only thing i can think of is firmware unless their quality assuarance is really that crappy. 

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Kind of hard to believe two different units are experiencing same issue. 

Testing with a different PC? 

You have a friend, neighbor or family member you can take the modem to and see if the problem follows at a different location? 

@Jimmyfoxx wrote:

I have had a similar issue. Sometime friday I cannot connect to the router at all. Tried power cycling, reset, NG "shock reset". I cant even get to the routers information and setting using 192.168.1.1. Turned off all firewalls and still cannot access it. Contact NG, after 2 hours on hold and another hour of resets, pinging, more resets and more pinging, they finally sent me another CAX80. Still having same issue with the refurbished one they have sent over. I tried using a different laptop to ping the routers, results still ranging from 37%-100% loss. 

It is wierd that the refurbish one has the same exact problem as the original unit. Only thing i can think of is firmware unless their quality assuarance is really that crappy. 

Message 14 of 24
Archers
Tutor

Update: Throughout the night my modem decided to update itself to V2.1.3.5. Woke up having to accept terms and conditions and set password and questions again before having access to the internet. 

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So it auto udpated on it's down if not using the NH app. 

I'd power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON. 

Internet still working? 

Message 16 of 24
Archers
Tutor

All by itself at 2 or 3 AM. Powered off and on and had to re- setup again. Internet still working luckily

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep an eye on it. 

You might take a new screen shot back up of the current configuration to file and keep this on hand. 

Message 18 of 24
Archers
Tutor

Update: Gave up and bought another modem. Thanks for the help

Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry it didn't work out. 

👍

Message 20 of 24
angusisok
Aspirant

I'm not sure if this helps you or not but it's worth a shot:

Depending on your ISP, some of them will not allow you to have direct access to your firmware.  You are given that illusion and it shows that you can set it as you like, but you actually have to get in touch with your ISP to perform any meaningful firmware update. Otherwise it is merely overwritten. This is for your "own protection" obviously. Perhaps you aren't affected but NG is acquiescing to the requirements of the ISP's and building their firmware specific for some companies. THis makes sense from their perspective as you don't want to alienate potential customers, but if your ISP is on the list, then perhaps its time for a change? Here is the link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

The CAX series model are the only ones that allow user FW updates, however this is ONLY for the router portion of the modem. The modem portion still comes from the ISP and is NOT user updatable. 

Message 22 of 24
angusisok
Aspirant

@JimmyfoxxI don't want to be an alarmist, nor do I want to suggest to you that you have anything other than some firmware issues, but you might find my struggles informative with my CAX80. I was the victim of a rootkit that I stumbled across due to the inability to log into my modem/router. When I reset it and reconfigured it, I was immediately locked out again. 3 times this happened before I went and purchased my NG CAX80 at a hefty price tag. Upon setting it up and configuring it I was, again, locked out of it. In fact the 2fa on it didn't even slow them down.  This was especially alarming because it could only mean it was coming from INSIDE my network. Much like yourself, I reset it, reinstalled the firmware and thought all was well, later that night I found myself locked out of it. The root kit was brought in from a cracked firestick, which I was able to figure out later but the solution rested in taking absolutely everything off the network.  Anything that was iOT or portable had to be killed at the door as well (it's surprising how many items we accumulate that require network resources), then factory reset, and then before setup, immediately go to access control and change the setting to block all.  Then, and only then, was I allowed time to properly configure the appliance. From there I systematically placed my devices online until I came to the offending unit, which turned out to be a Samsung Smart Tv. That whole process took weeks, along the way I lost 2 desktops, 2 baby monitors, 1 modem router (not netgear) and 1 hard drive. They either were bricked or beyond repair. So for me, the odd events all coalesced around that one root cause, it just doesn't make sense that your new modem has the same issue as your last one.  That can only mean it is existential, not necessarily like mine, but I think you need to look beyond the Modem to solve this puzzle. Just my thoughts and wanted to share my story to hopefully benefit someone. THanks.

Message 23 of 24
lexneverland
Guide

I am gonna do the same. Netgear is utter BS, what a disgrace this company is. The support team is overseas of course, to save some bucks and most don't have a clue. They have only been trained to do one thing, get their hands in your wallet and grab the $135 for a year of unnecessary support.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7