Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 -so no internet means no home network as well?

Evilspock
Initiate

CAX80 -so no internet means no home network as well?

So I noticed my cable connection dropped and. Verified by way of the Spectrum app that there is an outage in the neighborhood. Ok no big deal I can work disconnected at home on my home network between my laptop and my NAS where I have file right - NOPE. Since I have no internet connection my CAX80 decides it needs to reboot every 5 minutes. Why the H is this normal and is there a way to stop it.
If this normal who thought this would be a great feature to reboot every 5 minutes which now kills my ability to have a home network that I can use while the issue outside is resolved. Is there a setting I can turn on or off to stop this till the cable is back up?
Message 1 of 4
tamanaco
Apprentice

Re: CAX80 -so no internet means no home network as well?

I complained about this issue a while ago. It makes no sense whatsover. If my Internet service is down; I still want to use the wired switch + wireless LAN features of the CAX80 router. I want to be able to modify (edit /move/copy/delete/rename) files on my LAN attached storage devices and to print. I also want to be able to continue to stream audio and video from my NAS or other local devices. For years I have owned Netgear Routers and Switches, but this CAX80 leaves a lot to be desired. I will be reluctant to buy another router from them or recommend them to anyone.The firmware of the router needs to be updated to fix this and other issues.

Netgear is responsible the router side of the CAX80, but  far, there has only been one "public" firmware update for the "router" side that was done close to the date when it was released. ISPs are supposed to be responsible for the "modem" side. I have not received firmware updates from Spectrum either, but I have no need for one as the modem side is working well. I also have to save the router configuration everytime I make a change (rename a device or add a reservation) because if the router reboots... there's a good chance that the configuration will be lost.  I have to reset the router and restored it from the most recent configuration backups. Both of this issues are VERY ANNOYING!... I have already RMAed this router once as the original one had connection issues. Not a great example of what's supposed to be one of Netgear's Flagship routers. Stay away until these "FUNDAMENTAL" issues are fixed.

Message 2 of 4
Evilspock
Initiate

If I had known that this was a issue I would have not bought this and continued to pay the rent on a spectrum modem.  I can't believe a bunch of Netgear product designers and firmware developers sat around a table and said having the CAX80 reboot itself if you loose internent service was a good feature to have.  This thing is basically a boat acnchor if I decide to move and the cable operator  does not support it or use it as a network switch / wifi ap  without service.  

Message 3 of 4
WuGing
Initiate

I can't believe this is how this device actually functions. This is straight up insane. 

I've used the CAX80 for several months at an apartment I'd been renting. Recently moved, and now I don't need the modem side of things, but I could still use the switch/AP functions, BUT NO! The stupid thing reboots every couple minutes because it has no cable connection. WHAT THE HECK!?!?

This NEEDS to be changed. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7