Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 won't upload 5GHZ network

lexneverland
Guide

Re: CAX80 can't upload 5GHZ

As ErnestTheGreat appears to have retired from Netgear, is there anyone else from Netgear that can pick this thread up where he left it? He sent the logs to a CAX80 product engineer and the ODM team, but it all ends there. I really need this issue to be addressed or be forced to buy another non-Netgear router because this upload block on 5GHz is getting really annoying.

We have a few people in this thread that are willing and able (and eager) to help provide you with anything you need so you can improve your product and service, it's free QA for you and we hopefully get a product that works as it should.

Message 51 of 162

I’m sorry but I’ve retired from this issue as well. I since purchased a new modem and router to avoid this nonsense.

Netgear will not fix the issue and they really don’t care.
Message 52 of 162
tdalias
Tutor

CAX80 won't upload 5GHZ network

I cannot upload on the 5ghz network with the cax80 modem.  Browsing websites/small data transfer is fine. But large files (wetransfer, onedrive, google drive) does not work.

Just had a comcast tech out.  No issues with the line.  Modem reprovisioned.  Etc.

Factory resetting modem does not resolve.  Modem has latest firmware.

Message 53 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is Smart Connect enabled? 

What channels are you using?

What devices do you have connected to the 5Ghz radio?

This is a known issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CAX80-can-t-upload-5GHZ/m-p/2158905/highlight/...

Message 54 of 162
lexneverland
Guide

@tdalias 

Is it still an issue for you? There's another thread about this (CAX80 can't upload 5GHZ network) and after providing logs and what not nothing happened. That thread is closed now, and I just bought a new modem router because I gave up on it, but decided to give it one more try and test run uploading on 5GHz on several OS and various browser and I have encountered zero issues now.

My guess is that they have fixed it somehow, I have no other explanation. I am still keeping my new Motorola modem router at end, but think of returning it if I keep a smooth 5GHz upload.

Message 55 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 56 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 57 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 58 of 162
AshleyTQ
Guide

I am having this same exact issue.  Xfinity has been out twice to check all the lines and no issues there.  I have also factory reset my router and nothing changed.  This started happening mid August 2022. I can email attachments, but I can't even upload a small screenshot to Slack unless I use 2.4G or the wire

Message 59 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using? 

NG is aware of the problem. Were hoping that next FW version will resolve this. I tested a beta and it fixed this issue however, presented a different problem on my modem which I had to send in my modem to get it fixed so I don't recommend using the beta version. I don't know when new FW will be forthcoming. 

Just what works best for now. 

@AshleyTQ wrote:

I am having this same exact issue.  Xfinity has been out twice to check all the lines and no issues there.  I have also factory reset my router and nothing changed.  This started happening mid August 2022. I can email attachments, but I can't even upload a small screenshot to Slack unless I use 2.4G or the wire

Message 60 of 162
AshleyTQ
Guide

Yeah I have a workaround so I'm not too fussed, but I work from home so it has caused me a number of issues.

I have v2.1.3.5 and it says there are no updates available

Message 61 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Keep whats loaded for now. Hopefully NG will come out with something. No idea when though. 

Message 62 of 162
AshleyTQ
Guide

Thanks for your help and time! It's just really annoying when I bought my router a little over a year ago and spent a lot of money on it.

Message 63 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Will keep on them about this. From what I know, there is a fix, just needs to get into good working FW. 

Keep an eye on the NG download page or here in this forum. 

Message 64 of 162
AshleyTQ
Guide

Thanks again!  I work in customer service for a software company so I get it 🙂

Message 65 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for understanding. We get the users frustrations as well. 😉

Message 66 of 162
lexneverland
Guide

I returned the Motorolla router/modem and of course afterwards my upload issues started again on 5GHz. Good to know, however, that there will be a fix soon. Is there a way to be automatically notified when a new FW is available?

Message 67 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Not that a I know of. Keep an eye on the NG download page or here in the forums. 

Message 68 of 162
lexneverland
Guide

Thanks, will make a weekly reminder to check.

Message 69 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 70 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru
AshleyTQ
Guide

Thanks so much for sending this over, but it looks like they may have rolled it back.  I can't access the link and my app is still telling me there is no update available.

Message 72 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Link is good. This update has to be manually installed using a PC and web browser. 

Message 73 of 162
AshleyTQ
Guide

So weird, this is what I get.  But I am on a Mac and not a PC if that makes a difference

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 11.58.48 AM.png

I logged into routerlogin.net and tried to update from there and nothing was available

I also downloaded Firmware Version 2.1.4.2 https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=CAX80

and looked for the file ending in either .img or .chk per https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

But I only have Release Notes and CAX80-V2.1.4.2.bin in the zip file

Message 74 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting.

The .bin file is what you use with a web browser when connected to the CAX web page and using the FW update web page to select this .bin file from your PC to upload to the router side of the modem. Do not attempt to open the .bin file. It gets sent thru the modems web page using the web browser. 

@AshleyTQ wrote:

So weird, this is what I get.  But I am on a Mac and not a PC if that makes a difference

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 11.58.48 AM.png

I logged into routerlogin.net and tried to update from there and nothing was available

I also downloaded Firmware Version 2.1.4.2 https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=CAX80

and looked for the file ending in either .img or .chk per https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

But I only have Release Notes and CAX80-V2.1.4.2.bin in the zip file

Message 75 of 162
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7