Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 won't work at all on WOW Internet; firmware update ruined it

FURRYe38
Guru

To FW update the CAX series the unit has to be in "Router" mode. It can't be in modem mode. The FW that is user updateable is ONLY for the router portion of the unit. The modem portion FW still comes from the ISP only. When in router mode, as long as the ISP Coax line IS connected to the CAX, the unit will not auto reboot. The Coax line doesn't have to be associated with the ISP or the modem has to be activated with the ISP, just as long as there a ISP modem signal on the line, the CAX will NOT auto reboot. 

@wziemer 

Message 51 of 137
wziemer
Star

Correct, my point was that in order to update the router firmware, you have to flip it back from modem mode to router mode; doing so make the modem unusable as myself and others have described in this thread. The only way i've found to actually get the CAX80 to work is in modem mode; even after factory resets, it works just long enough for you to speed through the setup and flip it over to modem mode, if you miss that window you have to power cycle and try again or it'll just get into a state where WOW says they see the modem fine on their end and all the LED's on the front of the CAX80 show a successful connection; yet the device does not hand out any IP's and does not work at all when left in router mode. It was perfectly fine about 2 months ago, then 'something' happened as others have reported where router mode no longer works. 

Message 52 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, and after the FW is updated on the router side, then you can change it back to modem mode. 

Is there a differenet cable ISP in your town or is WOW the only on? One thing you can do IF, there is a different cable ISP in town and IF you know someone using that ISP, take the CAX80 to there place. Connected it to there coax line, don't do any association with it with the ISP. If the latest CAX80 FW already on a wired PC there. If you power up the CAX80, the unit should not auto reboot and maintain long enough for you to send the FW file to update the router portion of the CAX80. If you can get the FW loaded then you can factory reset and remove it and take it back to your place. Again this is corner case if this is an option. 

Over all this is a WoW issue that they need to get working. My CAX80 is working fine with my ISP in router mode. I don't have the wifi radios enabled and using a different wifi system currently. 

Message 53 of 137
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

FW 2.1.3.5 was recently released back on November 5th, 2021 however it was only an update for the router side so the DOCSIS part should not be affected. I am not sure how long the users here have been affected but it may be worthwhile to downgrade FW 2.1.2.6 to see if the same issue occurs. Also, Netgear is aware of the issue and they have a product engineer looking into it. For the users affected what are the LEDs on CAX80 doing when this issue happens? Also, it would be good to get a copy of Event Logs posted so that we have a better sense of what's happening from the ISP side?

Message 54 of 137
zanfly
Aspirant

My sons CA80 stopped working. I reset it back to factory and was unable to reinstall it. I went to best buy and bought another one and spent the day making numerous calls to wow trying to install the new one. Wow sent a technician that changed some splitters outside and came inside and showed me on his meter that we had a good signal. He attempted to install both the old CAX80 and the new one to no avail. We installed an older modem router temporarily. 
There is definitely something going on that this router is having a problem with WOW or the routers have turned into expensive boat anchors.

Message 55 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CAX80-won-t-work-at-all-on-WOW-Internet-firmwa...

@zanfly wrote:

My sons CA80 stopped working. I reset it back to factory and was unable to reinstall it. I went to best buy and bought another one and spent the day making numerous calls to wow trying to install the new one. Wow sent a technician that changed some splitters outside and came inside and showed me on his meter that we had a good signal. He attempted to install both the old CAX80 and the new one to no avail. We installed an older modem router temporarily. 
There is definitely something going on that this router is having a problem with WOW or the routers have turned into expensive boat anchors.

Message 56 of 137
zanfly
Aspirant

i had been working with netgear and wow trying to find out why my sons CAX80 failed and no mine is dead. 

Message 57 of 137
Basha94
Guide

Here's a small update for everyone. We have switched providers. We originally were with WOW and then our CAX80 went out due to a firmware update to the modem on WOW's side. We are now with spectrum. The CAX80 is working fine so far. I will let everyone know if we have any issues with spectrum. Right now spectrum is offering 2 years @ $106 for up to 1gbps speed. That is the same price we were paying with WOW, and we were only on WOW's 100mbps speed plan. Now after 2 years on that spectrum plan the price will go up to $156 but that's 2 years so we went with it. We have cancelled our service with WOW and told them that bc of this issue that is why we were canceling. Hopefully for everyone else's sake they will start looking more deeply into it. This has been such a frustrating experience and I hope that Spectrum works way better for us.
Message 58 of 137
Moocow1980
Apprentice

My 1GB plan with WOW is $60/month. That's the reason I didn't switch to Spectrum, because it was more cost-efficient to just buy the step-down unit and stay with WOW. (But I am in Columbus, and our area was sold to another company, so, long-term, whenever they transition things, who knows what happens with the new company.)
Message 59 of 137
ShanCrouch3
Tutor

I’ve also been having issues actually on my 3rd router and no one on the Netgear or WOW sides have mentioned this to me. Super pissed off about it. Guess I’m switching to Spectrum.
Message 60 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

I just got WOW internet (highest speed at my location) and I’m not able to setup my cax80. I’ve failed trying to connect via WiFi or Ethernet, I spoke with NETGEAR support and was told to exchange it. I got another new modem but same issue. Is it safe to say if I want to keep WOW, I need to use another modem other than cax80?
Message 61 of 137
ShanCrouch3
Tutor

That would be my assumption but good luck getting a refund for it.
Message 62 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

Does anyone have recommendations for another modem with similar specs to the CAX80 that will work with WOW?
Message 63 of 137
Moocow1980
Apprentice

The step-down model, so to speak, is the CAX30 (which the box also says AX2700, just to reaffirm it is the right one). It caps out at one gig, but the highest offered for some residential ISPs is one gig, so no biggie here. It also has a couple of missing bells and whistles compared to the CAX80, but nothing deal-breaking for most people.

I have the CAX30, and can confirm it is running smoothly on WOW.
Message 64 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

Thanks, I’ll probably try the cax30. WOW’s 1 GB is the highest package available from the ISPs in my location. Hopefully the cax30 doesn’t get any firmware updates.
Message 65 of 137
Basha94
Guide

So on netgears website they say that within the year if anything goes wrong they must replace it with an equivalent product that functions or a refund if they can't replace it. If I were you I would call them and tell them that is what it says on their website. If they can't give you an equivalent function device then they must give you a refund. We have been lucky to get a good deal with spectrum and have switched and CAX80 has worked fine so far. If you aren't wanting to switch from wow then I would advise you to remind them of their own policy.
Message 66 of 137
Moocow1980
Apprentice

The device is functional. It's not a Netgear issue. It's an ISP issue. If Netgear refunds your money, that's on them, but this isn't a situation where they refund. It isn't their responsibility to ensure the device is compatible with your ISP. This case is unique because it used to work, and Netgear probably wants things to be resolved, but ultimately, this shouldn't qualify for a refund.
Message 67 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

I agree but after speaking with several reps from WOW, they all say the CAX80 is compatible which is frustrating. Since I just purchased the modem I'll be able to return it without issue. 

Message 68 of 137
ShanCrouch3
Tutor

For those that switched from wow to spectrum, did you have to restart the modem again or did it just magically start working? I’ve made the switch and tried plugging in the CAX80 but am still getting errors.
Message 69 of 137
Moocow1980
Apprentice

Try the 30-30-30 hard reset.

With the unit on, insert a small pin and press the reset button in for 30 seconds. Once 30 seconds is up, do not release the press on the reset button, but unplug the unit and wait 30 seconds. Then, while still holding in reset, plug the unit in and wait another 30 seconds. Then, release the pressing of the reset button.

I'd advise doing this with your ISP on the phone so they know what steps your taking.
Message 70 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

Unfortunately Spectrum isn't offered in my location, heard they were good. If I wanted to keep my CAX80, would anyone recommend ATT or EarthLink. FYI, ATT only offers their 50Mbps plan at my location.

Message 71 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

ATT requires the use of there modem HW. And there mostly either DSL or Fiber now days so you can't use the CAX modem on there service. I'd contact Earthlink to see if there services support the CAX80. 

@Jinguni wrote:

Unfortunately Spectrum isn't offered in my location, heard they were good. If I wanted to keep my CAX80, would anyone recommend ATT or EarthLink. FYI, ATT only offers their 50Mbps plan at my location.

Message 72 of 137
Lucas_Sz
Aspirant

Long story short, having the same issue as everyone else, but got so busy I took a loaner modem from WOW for the time beeing ... that modem is BS.  ... I need to get this fixed somehow.

How do I contact NG support?  I tried contacting them but got a message that my "complimentary technical support expired"  even if my "product is (still) covered under hardware warranty".  I got like 1 month till warranty expires, so I need to make it work.

Did anyone find an easy fix?

Message 73 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

It’s not a fix technically but I returned my CAX80 and bought the CAX30. I’ve been using the CAX30 for weeks without issue, was able to do the initial setup under 5 minutes. I still haven’t heard anything from WOW or NG regarding a fix for the CAX80.
Message 74 of 137
Lucas_Sz
Aspirant

Is there a NG customer support number I can use to talk to them about it?

Would I return it to NG or the vendor I bought it from (it was almost a year ago and they might not take it)?

@Jinguni wrote:
It’s not a fix technically but I returned my CAX80 and bought the CAX30. I’ve been using the CAX30 for weeks without issue, was able to do the initial setup under 5 minutes. I still haven’t heard anything from WOW or NG regarding a fix for the CAX80.

Message 75 of 137
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7