Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 won't work at all on WOW Internet; firmware update ruined it

ChiFast
Guide

I tried posting the customer support number in a reply last night but it looks like it was deleted… I’m guessing you can’t post phone numbers. Here are instructions on how to get to it:

Search Netgear support on any search engine, click Netgear’s site, scroll down to Contact Support and click it, scroll down to another Contact Support link and click it… Home / Service Provider / Sales should be listed which is the tech support number.

In my experience, they will want you to pre-authorize a service plan if your modem is older than 90 days and will then charge you if they fix it. They didn’t fix it so no charge. They basically had me try to reset it.

In short, Netgear says it’s a WOW problem and WOW says it’s a Netgear problem.

Message 76 of 137
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Users,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. As far as Netgear is concerned, there are no issues with CAX80 for WOW Cable. The issues had been with the WOW changes on the configuration on their side and that some of the user's devices only worked in modem mode only but not in gateway mode. Our Engineering team had already contacted WOW but has not gotten any updates from WOW in terms of what the problem was. We will update you as soon as possible once we got a response from the WOW Cable.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 77 of 137
Pawel-Miga
Aspirant

Just wanted to say this is STILL an issue, and it extends into Asus AX6000 devices as well.
Message 78 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

Has anyone received any feedback from WOW yet? I initially purchased a CAX80 but had to return it. I've been using the CAX30 for couple months without any issues.

Message 79 of 137
Moocow1980
Apprentice

I've never been contacted on this issue since I reported it. But I also sold my CAX80 and recouped some costs. I ended up at a net loss because of the issue and I was mentally drained from fighting it.

The CAX30 is working fine. Had it for two months and no issues whatsoever. So, it's safe to infer that WOW really doesn't care and won't fix it.

Eventually, I will be transitioning off of WOW because Columbus services for WOW were purchased by another company, but even with a new company, there's no need to update my router back to a CAX80. I am staying put.
Message 80 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Ya, seems to be in WOWs ball park. May the new ownership will change things. 

Good Luck. 

Message 81 of 137
wziemer
Star

No clue on ETA but was able to get in touch with somebody to identify the issue, so there is hope for the CAX80 on WOW still!

Message 82 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. I presume hopefully the problem is being looked at by someone there. 

Message 83 of 137
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Netgear is aware of the issue and has a fix for it they need to work with WOW to push the updates to customers. So how many users on this thread are still having issues with CAX80 and have you checked with WOW to see if they reeachout to Netgear about a potential fix?

Message 84 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

I was lucky enough to return my CAX80, within 30 day period. I’ve been using the CAX30, no issues in last 2 months.
Message 85 of 137
wziemer
Star

My experiance has been that WOW will not work with us on this issue from their end; customer service just insists that the issue is with your modem and the only thing they will offer is to send out a tech (who will then use a motorola modem, show you that it works with their modem, and then charge you for the house visit...trust me...i'm well aware of that lol). WOW will do very little troubleshooting of customer-owned modems before they just say "sorry, rent ours". 

Message 86 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

So please reach out to @ErnestTheGreat via PM if you still have your CAX80 and let him know. I sounds like NG maybe driving this from there end and hopefully working with WoW behind the scenes from WoW 1st level tech support and will hopefully get this corrected for CAX80 and WoW users. So please contact Ernest and let him know. 

@wziemer wrote:

My experiance has been that WOW will not work with us on this issue from their end; customer service just insists that the issue is with your modem and the only thing they will offer is to send out a tech (who will then use a motorola modem, show you that it works with their modem, and then charge you for the house visit...trust me...i'm well aware of that lol). WOW will do very little troubleshooting of customer-owned modems before they just say "sorry, rent ours". 

Message 87 of 137
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yeah, there seems to be lot of issues among ISPs just pointing the finger to the 3rd party modem/gateway manufacturers rather than taking time to really find out the root cause of the problem their paying customers are having. Also, it's interesting how the ISP modems seem to always magically work when it costs users a monthly fee to rent 😉

Message 88 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh ya...Some ISPs seem to avoid taking responsbility. Smiley Frustrated

Usually this happens at the first level support and not much help sometimes, unless you really get lucky and get a good support agent willing to go deeper. 

Message 89 of 137
ChiFast
Guide

Just called WOW (3/7) to try reactivating my CAX80 and confirmed I’m still having the issue. I’ll PM @ErnestTheGreat 

Message 90 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Let us know how it goes after making contact with NG. 

@ChiFast wrote:

Just called WOW (3/7) to try reactivating my CAX80 and confirmed I’m still having the issue. I’ll PM @ErnestTheGreat 

Message 91 of 137
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Everyone,

Good day!

WOW Cable Engineers are already testing in the lab some fixes to address the issue about the recent CAX80 not working anymore or stops working. Once the fix is out, they will push it out to their customers internet line.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 92 of 137
Baint50
Aspirant

FYI
This is still an issue with WOW. On my second CAX80 that won’t connect. Thought the first had a hardware problem so was able to exchange, but no luck. The second has everyone else’s exact same problem too.
I specifically asked the WOW tech if there were any known issues and he said no.
Message 93 of 137
Baint50
Aspirant

I see posts that the CAX30 seems to work with no issues. Does anyone know if the CAX30S will also work? And what are the differences between the 30 and 30S.
Not knowing when the issues with the 80 will be rectified, I don’t want to lose my return window and not have something I can actually use.
Message 94 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

Obviously the tech you talked to was 1st level support and didn't probably know or have more information which is usually the case. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CAX80-won-t-work-at-all-on-WOW-Internet-firmwa...

Contact @ErnestTheGreat and your CAX80 please. 

@Baint50 wrote:
FYI
This is still an issue with WOW. On my second CAX80 that won’t connect. Thought the first had a hardware problem so was able to exchange, but no luck. The second has everyone else’s exact same problem too.
I specifically asked the WOW tech if there were any known issues and he said no.

Message 95 of 137
Erxhanb
Aspirant

This is still an issue with WOW. I just got 2 devices that I tried to activate. Once it does I’m guessing it’s grabbing the firmware update and causing this issue. It hands out a dummy IP address with no gateway. I’m probably gonna have to switch providers now, since after reading the posts on here it’s been close to 4 months with no solve. Very poor customer experience
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 96 of 137
Jinguni
Guide

The CAX30S does work, I’ve been using it for the past 3 months. It’s same as CAX30 but includes 90 days of NETGEAR Armor for free. Regardless WOW has ignored this issue, I’m switching over to Xfinity soon.
Message 97 of 137
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact @ErnestTheGreat and @olympos1625 about your CAX80 please. 

@Erxhanb wrote:
This is still an issue with WOW. I just got 2 devices that I tried to activate. Once it does I’m guessing it’s grabbing the firmware update and causing this issue. It hands out a dummy IP address with no gateway. I’m probably gonna have to switch providers now, since after reading the posts on here it’s been close to 4 months with no solve. Very poor customer experience

Message 98 of 137
Baint50
Aspirant

So, I returned my CAX80 and purchased a CAX30S. Having the exact same problem. WOW says there is a good signal but getting nothing to the router. Talked to a next level tech support who wasn’t much help but said he would research the issue. And he didn’t argue with me when commented that their firmware push is what screws it up. I agreed to a home tech visit only after I was guaranteed that I wouldn’t have to pay for it. Not expecting much.
Message 99 of 137
Moocow1980
Apprentice

My CAX30S has worked absolutely fine for months now, since I cut my losses on the CAX80 and sold it. Not an issue at all, has worked like a charm, knock on wood.

Have you tried to hook up any modem to your Internet just to ensure it is truly not your connection, before assuming the CAX30S was also borked by the ISP?
Message 100 of 137
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7