Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM 600 Disconnects after a week (spectrum)

SMASHMASTR
Tutor

CM 600 Disconnects after a week (spectrum)

I have had the CM600 for about 3-4 months. I bought the product so as to stop renting Spectrum's Modem & Router. It runs well, however after a week of running, it stops working and I have to power off and on the hardware again. I am unsure if this because of the RJ6 cable that my home has (which previous owners had set up with Dish Network), or if it's because of the splitter that a Spectrum technician had set up, as we have both internet and tv with them. If anyone can help with this, that would be awesome, as to be honest my knowledge for troubleshooting network issues like this is minimum.

Hardware used:

Netgear CM600 Cable Modem

Netgear Noghthawk R6700v3 AC1750

ISP - Spectrum 200mbps plan (with tv plan and splitter for both TV box and internet gear).

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM 600 Disconnects after a week (spectrum)

Checking your cable connections picture I saw, the modem is seeing lots of correctables and un-correctables. The ISP needs to look into this. There should be near zero seen here. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

when your internet goes down, are you still able to log into the modem? 

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the event logs? 

Message 2 of 10
SMASHMASTR
Tutor

This is what I get from the Events Log window of my Modem. For the first question, I have not tried that before, so that's on me for not testing that out the very first time I experienced the drop. And as for the first part of the second question (the cable connections page), is that something I can find in the gateway page of the modem?

unknown_2021.11.15-20.32 (2).png

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Your log is indicating line issues but the cable connections page helps in conjunction with it. 

When you first log into the modem, you click on the internet icon. It'll show upstream/downstream data. 

Message 4 of 10
SMASHMASTR
Tutor

So this is what I was able to gather after following the steps you gave me (thanks btw). 

Is there something that I would have to change with the starting frequency?

unknown_2021.11.16-08.35.png

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Checking your cable connections picture I saw, the modem is seeing lots of correctables and un-correctables. The ISP needs to look into this. There should be near zero seen here. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 6 of 10
SMASHMASTR
Tutor

Yes, from the cable connections table (that I was supposed to upload but instead uploaded the wrong snippet, and am not home to upload again) there are 2 frequency channels that I remember seeing HUGE numbers under correctibles and un-correctibels as you mentioned. I will contact my ISP in regards to provisioning the modem more carefully, and maybe have them come and replace the RJ6 cable that my house has (as when I moved into my house, the previous people had it set up from Dish Network if I remember Correctly). I will be coming back (hopefully within a week) to give everyone here a status update on my modem. Thank you guys so much. You have all been of great help to me.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll help ya out:

unknown_2021.11.16-08.31.png

Hopefully the ISP will get this corrected...Have the tech look at these logs while there.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Your power levels are a bit hot to. Meaning a little high. 

Optimal is -7.5dbmv to +7dmbv. 

Message 9 of 10
SMASHMASTR
Tutor

Ok, so it seems that by un-hooking the splitter that the previous technician had used seemed to have mitigated the correctables and such on a HUGE level. Like to the point I no longer have uncorrectables. But my ISP did say that if my original problem still persists, that they can send out a tech worker to inspect everything and maybe even switch out the RJ6 cable for one of their standard ones. So, I would like to thank you guys so much for helping me out with this issue that has been pestering me for the longest now. I'm glad to know that there are pros like you guys that can help people out when they are in need of guidance.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7