Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 Dropping Connection - Daily

AtHomeTech
Aspirant

CM1000 Dropping Connection - Daily

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone hhere as either seen this before, or is able to help me figure out what is going on. 

I have a CM1000 that I installed over about a year ago or so, coupled with a Linksys ea9500.  My connection to the internet drops daily, and I get kicked off my wifi network at the same time.  My instinct tells me that it's the router, but recently I have been reading posts about how the cm1000 may be causing the problem.  Seeing as many others have been seeing this, and the follow up questions are usually asking for the logs to get posted, here they are...

If someone sees something that may be causing a connection issue, could you please call it out?  If I have to get my provider to come out and fix something, I have no problem getting them on the phone.  I'm tired of trying to chase this problem down, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You first need to isolate the modem from the router and see if the modem alone exhibit this issue or not. IF so, then I would have the ISP check the signal line and quality up the modem from there side. 

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in between the modem and ISP service box. 

Test with a wired PC connected to the modem to see if you notice these drops in connections. You can use pingplotter.com app on your wired PC to see if there are any packet loss during a test run with only the modem. Might let this run late at night when others are not in need of internet.

Hopefully you can narrow down this issue. 

Message 2 of 6
AtHomeTech
Aspirant

Thanks for the ideas, and I appreciate the reply.

I determined that I should try replacing the router first, based on the fact that I would lose my wifi connection to my devices when the service would take a dive on me.  I replaced my Linksys router with a Netgear XR700, and so far I haven't had any more signal loss/drops.  Granted, it's still early so I want to give it a few more days to see if I experience any long term improvement.  

Time will tell, I suppose.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Enjoy the new router. If you need help and support for the XR router, you can find some here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

I recommend not updating FW to anything recent if possible unless it's already done of course. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 4 of 6
AtHomeTech
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply and the link to the router thread.  I'll be sure to check that out later today.

My girlfriend let me know this morning that she had an issue this morning with not getting out to the internet on her iPhone, but it was short lived.  Not sure of the cause, but there were no log entries on the modem around that time, so who knows.   

I'm going to give it another couple of days before I'm convinced that the new router handled the problem, but so far so good.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Sounds good. Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements