Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 Dynamic Range Window issues

NoLegs
Tutor

CM1000 Dynamic Range Window issues

Cox is no help, how do I troubleshoot Dynamnic Range Window issues when my power levels are near perfect?  Everything is new from the street to the modem.  

Path from street = NEW RG6Q to dmarc where it hits a NEW 2 way splitter then single run all the way to the modem with a 6db pad (trying to hit 0db power levels) directly to the modem.  All hardware is properly bonded.  Attached are my event log and power levels.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 12
NoLegs
Tutor

Re: CM1000 Dynamic Range Window issues

Message 2 of 12
NoLegs
Tutor

I guess I attached the event log twice.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Are you having problems with your internet? Is it dropping, increased ping/lag, slowed speeds? Whats the actual problem? Because your power levels are indeed pretty close to perfect and you have a single error. 1. that looks like a great connection. 

Message 4 of 12
NoLegs
Tutor

My connection is a roller coaster with Cox.  As of this moment, yes, this is the only error.  Last weekend it was severe packet loss, T3/T4 errors.  Sometimes I'll go days without any errors at all and my power levels are just like you see here.

I guess what I'm really looking for is an explanation on what a Dynamic Range Window error is...because the definition I find does not coorelate to what my power levels are.  So why is the modem reporting this issue when it's obvious that there is not one?

FYI, my neighbor's Arris SB8200 reports similar errors when his window is also not out of range.  We are connected to two sides of the same tap at the street.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

dynamic range window violations occur when there's more than a certain variation in the power levels. Hard part is that when you pull the connections page is that it takes the snapshot at the time you access it. If the error is brief, you'll miss the variation when you pull up the page. 

If both you and your neighbor are getting these errors, I'd have your isp inspect your neighbor hood box/lines. If its a single user it tends to be from the box to the users house but if multiples are getting it, something else is causing the problems. 

Message 6 of 12
NoLegs
Tutor

Out of curiosity, I removed the 6db pad from the line and I haven't had a single DRW error since, but (obviously) my rx levels have increased to ~6-7dBmV and my tx power is now sitting at~37dBmV.  Should I attempt a different brand pad to get my levels at a more optimum level or run the modem as is?

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Your upload power dropped?

Can you just re-do your screen snip of it now? 

it could be that you had a bad attenuator. 

Message 8 of 12
NoLegs
Tutor

Yeah, passive attentuators are bi-directional.  With the pad in, the CMTS is requesting the modem to "yell" louder so it can be heard.  The only way to actively adjust tx power seperately would be programming from the CMTS.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Power levels look good there too. Upsteam is boarderline low. I'd leave the attenuator out of the line. 

Kind of an important detail 🙂 

Message 10 of 12
NoLegs
Tutor

Important detail? You mean the attenuator? It's in my first post...
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

my bad, missed that. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7