Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 Internet stops working

RR6913
Aspirant

CM1000 Internet stops working

The Internet stops working. This happens once every 24 hours.  When I check the cable modem all the lights are on and green. When i plug a laptop into the cable modem it pulls the public ip information but I still cannot access the Internet. The browser says that there are no DNS servers. But that information is seen in the ip information of the laptop. If I leave the laptop plugged into the cable modem and restart the cable modem the ip information that the laptop gets is still the same as before but now the internet works. This just started about two weeks ago and the problem has happened once every day since then. I have had the modem for over two years with out a problem.  There is another none netgear cable modem that is used just for work and supplied by the same ISP and that modem never has a problem. 

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1000 Internet stops working

the problem with your troubleshooting is the the ISP assigns 1 public ip address. When the router is connected, thats whats using that IP address. Unplugging the router and plugging in a computer isn't going to pass that IP address to the next device unless you reboot the modem. So your method of testing the modem, isn't. 

to test it. get the laptop/pc working directly connect and leave it for more than 24 hours (or the period it normally fails during). If it drops, then it could be a modem issue. If it stays connected for longer than the period where you were having drops, then its likely a router issue. 

Message 2 of 5
RR6913
Aspirant

I see that the laptop gets a diffrenet ip address than what my router gets. I have copmpared the ip information between what the laptop gets and what my router gets and they are diffrerent. The laptop then should work when i plug it into the cable modem the first time.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

there's a difference from a public ip address assigned by your isp and the private ip address that the router assigns. 

You can believe what you want but in normal circumstances, when ever you change whats connected to the modem, it needs to be rebooted to reassign that ip address

Message 4 of 5
RR6913
Aspirant

Thanks for the information. I am going to try some more test.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7