Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 problem

Ark1284
Tutor

CM1000 problem

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Netgear CM1000 cable modem to pair with my Comcast Xfinity gigabit internet service.  However, I am having trouble with the modem.  Here's what the LED's show when I plug it in and turn it on:

The ethernet light stays on solid amber.

Every other light slowly blinks.

It does this for a long time (I left it go for nearly three hours before I gave up).

I checked the manual but none of the LED statuses listed match this.

Anyone have any ideas?  I think I need to return the modem, but I'd rather not if there's a quick fix.

Thanks,

Ark

Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Did you make sure to contact Comcast and have them add the mac address of the modem to your account?

DarrenM 

Message 2 of 7
Ark1284
Tutor

Hi Darren,

We did do that, yes.  There was a tech present here because they forced me to make an appointment with him since I was upgrading to gigabit.

Thanks for your response!

Message 3 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Ethernet LED - solid Amber - your Router or PC is not 1000BaseT capable. It is just 10/100 capable. or possibily old/bad cable.

other LEDs blinking, 

if ONLINE LED is not solid green, then modem is not online. Most likely you have Line/RF issues which needs to be fixed by the technician visit. 

Message 4 of 7
Ark1284
Tutor

Re: the solid amber ethernet LED.  My router is a D-Link DIR-880L, which accord to the spec sheet, has 4 gigabit ethernet ports.  Additionally, I used 3 different cables and 2 laptops, both with gigabit NIC's, to test.  I don't think this is the problem.

Re:  the ONLINE LED not being solid green.  The tech ran his tester on my line and said all is well with it.  When we got nowhere with the CM1000, he got an Xfinity branded modem from his truck and it worked like a charm.  The problem is, I really don't want to rent a modem, hence my purchase of the CM1000.

I'm going to exchange it for another one and hope for the best.

Thank you everyone.

Message 5 of 7
Beezerbe
Initiate

Hi! Did replacing the modem work? I purchased a CM1000 and have been on the phone with Xfinity all afternoon and they are sending a tech out in a couple of days. This is a new account and the modem downstream light keeps blinking green and the internet light is not lit. Are these modems even compatible with Xfinity?
Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 6 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@Beezerbe if ONLINE LED is not solid, then there may not be any signal coming into your house/apartment. As you say it is new account, Xfinity folks typically come in and disconnect lines when people move out at times. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7