Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 telephone

jbreslau
Follower

CM1000 telephone

I currently rent my modem from comcast.  If I want to upgrade to the CM1000 and keep my VOIP service, what are my options?

Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jbreslau

you would have to check with comcast if you can run a separate modem from them for phone only.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
lobrien428
Aspirant

I ran into this problem.  My previous rental modem from comcast had a phone jack along with router but was 5 years old (horrible wifi) and had never been connected to the phone. We  had a separate telephony modem in the basement that was connected to the phone line only.  I bought a CM1000 and hooked it up with a new nighthawk router.  Wifi was fantastic, but 3 days later realized my landlines were down.  The tech came out and said Comcast had deactivated BOTH of my modems and reactivated the account with only the new modem.  He said he would replace the Telephony modem in the basement with the one I was replacing as they did not support the telephony modem anymore (granted it was WORKING PERFECTLY before they deactivated it !!!).  I then questioned the tech if we would get the rental fee taken off of our bill.  He told us to call a service agent.  The service agent said we still had to rent the modem that is in the basement being used ONLY for phone service.  Needless to say I am angry (there was no need for them to deactivate the old telephony modem accept to tie me in to the rental fee.  Now looking to buy a second modem that has phone connection to replace the one in the basement.  May be cheaper for you to just buy one that has phone connection in the first place

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

we do offer the c7100v which has a built in phone you may want to look at this.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7100V.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7