Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 v2 4/5 lights blinking quickly

acfc47
Aspirant

CM1000 v2 4/5 lights blinking quickly

I recently got a new CM1000v2 modem, to replace the modem/router combo I had been renting from Cox. After hooking it up, the power light blinks green and the three lights below it blink amber while the ethernet light is solid amber. I activated it with Cox, reset it, and went through a good deal of troubleshooting with their techs over the phone but they were unable to reach it; it was just offline. The light blinking pattern never changed. I was thinking maybe Cox could push down a firmware update/reinstallation or something, but they can't because the modem shows offline.

I can't find any documentation in the manual on what this blinking pattern means.

It seems to be the same issue as described in these posts, none of which led to solutions:

1. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CM1000-flashing-lights-no-internet/td-p/207416...
  2. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/All-lights-on-front-of-cm1000-version-2-cable-...
  3.  https://www.reddit.com/r/NETGEAR/comments/h81bi2/all_but_ethernet_lights_flashing_rapidly_on_cm1000/

Does anyone have any updates on this problem? The modem is new and I'm the first to use it.

The only potential issue that I can think right now is that at one point I mistakenly had it plugged into a 12v 2.5A power supply, instead of the 12v 1.5A power supply that it came with. Could that have caused a problem?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

If you checked all that and a different modem is working and the CM is not, i would presume the CM modem maybe faulty. Possible the Power adapter tot he CM could be faulty. Something to try with a different same spec power adapter and see. If this still fails, the CM needs to be replaced. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON. 

Work with the ISP to ensure they get the modem connected well to there services.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 8
acfc47
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the response.

I did unplug the modem for a minute while trying different things. I am assuming that the coax line and connection are good because immediately before activating this modem, the Arris TG1682G that I was (and still am) renting from my ISP worked properly on the same line into the hous, also there are no splitters. When I was talking with the ISP tech we ran through the same steps you mentioned, but the modem remained offline (with the lights continuing to blink as always; the lights begin blinking immediately when it is plugged in to power and that has never changed). Eventually I just asked him to reactivate the Arris for now and it worked immediately. So are you suggesting that line/connection up to the modem could potentially work fine for the Arris but not the Netgear hardware?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If you checked all that and a different modem is working and the CM is not, i would presume the CM modem maybe faulty. Possible the Power adapter tot he CM could be faulty. Something to try with a different same spec power adapter and see. If this still fails, the CM needs to be replaced. 

Message 4 of 8
acfc47
Aspirant

Ok, that makes sense. I did try it (mistakenly) with a different brand new power supply that is 12v 2.5A, like I mentioned earlier. Do you think that would be a sufficient test to know whether the problem is the power supply, or would trying a different 12v 1.5A power supply (which is the spec it came with) be the only way to know for sure?

Again, thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

1amp higher isn't going to make a difference, if there power supply doesnt' change the behavior, then the CM needs to be replance. Something to ask NG about to see what your options are. 

Message 6 of 8
acfc47
Aspirant

Ok great, thanks for the confirmation and troubleshooting. I'll get in touch with Netgear directly now.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation