Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 and DOCSIS 3.0 "special case" issue?

Jason1123
Follower

CM1100 and DOCSIS 3.0 "special case" issue?

I've been having an issue with excessive internet connection drop-outs and I've had no luck utilizing the NETGEAR support channels (they are oblivious to my "seemingly simple" questions and just keep repeating what I've already told them.... very, very aweful experiance thus far. Step it up NETGEAR!). 

Anyway, here is my issue:

I have xfinity for an ISP with a 250Mbps dl plan. I live in a mountainous area and the current ISP infrastructure does not support DOCSIS 3.1. (I didn't find this out until 2 days ago.) I currently have the CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 modem, but it states that it is backwards compatable to DOCSIS 3.0 ISP networks. So, what I see as the issue is this (and I don't know who to look at for a fix/answer):  

The modem always indicates a good connection (and maybe it is, but sure can't hold a connection).

1. _ For a DOCSIS 3.0 configuration, is the 32nd channel not needed? The modem shows it locked into a downstream OFDM channel that doesn’t have any ISP signal on it (confirmed by Xfinity tech that their current infrastructure does not and will not support those higher frequencies used with 3.1).

1.1 _ I assume it is, but how do we get the modem to stop searching those higher, non functional, frequencies?

2. _ When I look at the event logs, I see that information is trying to be sent/received on that OFDM channel (channel ID 25) and obviously not getting a response. Why would a DOCSIS 3.0 connection even attempt to obtain a OFDM channel?

2.1 _ It also indicates CM-VER=3.1. Isn’t this indicating a DOCSIS 3.1 state or is it simply a number pulled from the modem that just indicates that it is a 3.1 modem...?

2.2 _ Wouldn’t this modem need a working channel to communicate on? Xfinity stated that the provisioning doesn’t have anything to do with whether or not the modem sees a DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1. The service tech that was here did confirm that the downstream OFDM channel that the modem is locking on to, is on a frequency outside of what they provide for service (605600000 Hz). All other downstream channels are between 207000000 & 387000000Hz.

Sometimes, everything will work ok for 1-4 hours, but will suddenly stop all internet traffic until it feels like working again, sometimes hours – sometime not until the next morning… (yes, I reboot everything without luck. Continue to get T3 timeouts or other similar error within the modems event log pointing to this channel that continues to lock into the OFDM state). 

This leads me into the ultimate 2 questions: Could this be the reason I am getting the connection drop-outs? If so, how do I go about resolving it? (ISP says it's the modem. Netgear support can't find it in whatever comicbook they read their replies from.)  -- If anyone from Netgear questions this, please read a few of my many support tickets.

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1100 and DOCSIS 3.0 "special case" issue?

If you've contacted the ISP and they see and issue at the modem then I would try replacing the modem with another CM1000, if not try a CM1000 instead. 

@vkdelta 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7