Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 on Optimum 1 gig service only getting 450 Mbps

The_VW
Tutor

CM1100 on Optimum 1 gig service only getting 450 Mbps

Hi, I recently moved and got Optimum 1gig service setup to my residence.  Tech said he saw 950+ speeds from his handheld device, but when I hardwire my PC to the modem I am only getting 450 Mbps.  I have tried using different cables including cat 5e, cat6, and cat8, with the same result.  PC has a gigabyte card in it.  I contacted the ISP and they stated that they see 850+ coming through to me, but since the modem is not theirs they can't troubleshoot it (I'm sure this is because they want you to pay their $10/month fee for their hardware).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1100 on Optimum 1 gig service only getting 450 Mbps

Try a different PC or Laptop? 

The Cm1100 is well capable of near 900Mpbs if you have a good PC or Laptop connected. Be sure to use Ooklas installable speed test app. Web browser and some speed test sites don't accurately give good results. 

Message 2 of 15
The_VW
Tutor

have tried multiple devices, both hardwire and wifi, all results are around the 450 Mbps mark.  Just tried ookla's downloaded app and got up to 550, but still not the gig i'm paying for lol

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

then from the sound if it your options are limited because of optimum saying the signal is fine and they won't do anymore because its a 3rd party device.  Sadly, when they "check the speed" all they're checking is the signal, not if it can actually hit the speed. 

You might have to rent a optimum modem for the $10 a month. If it hits full speeds, the its either the CM1100 or the provisioning on it. 

If you're within warranty, then you have something to go to support about. If its not, then you can check on a different modem. 

Do you actually have a screen snip of the modem's cable connection page and logs? It wouldn't be the first time a tech has said the signal is fine when it wasn't. 

Message 4 of 15
The_VW
Tutor

yep, here you go.img 1.pngimg 2.png

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

photos have to be approved by a moderator. it can take a while. Or you can click on "choose file" and add each individually

Message 6 of 15
The_VW
Tutor

not sure if i'm doing this right.

Message 7 of 15
The_VW
Tutor

part 2

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

Your power levels are technically within spec and you don't have errors. 

Its just they're a little out of balance. Usually you don't see that high of a upstream power unless your downstream is lower value. 

Any splitters, signal attenuators, or amplifiers in line? 

Message 9 of 15
The_VW
Tutor

nope, just cable into modem, then cat8 from modem into PC

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I only see 28 channels being used. channels 30 up to 32 should be locked in? 

Message 11 of 15
The_VW
Tutor

How would I go about doing that? Sorry, bit of a newb here.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

ISP needs to check the channels being used...

Message 13 of 15
The_VW
Tutor

ah ok, didn't know that was something they had to do.  I'm not positive they will, because it's "not their modem" zzzz...stupid scams to get you to pay $10 a month for their hardware.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya and thats something you can try too...demo there modem for a month or two to see if the problem continues, then switch back...

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7