Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1100 on Xfinity - worked for a few minutes and then only the two LAN lights are lit amber

hflowers
Aspirant

CM1100 on Xfinity - worked for a few minutes and then only the two LAN lights are lit amber

Had a very difficult time activating because the modem would keep resetting on its own.  Finally got it working and did some speed tests to verify.  It seemed more stable after activation.  Shut down the computer and was going to connect to my WiFI router, but now when I turn it on, the power light may come on briefly or not, then just the two LAN lights come on colored amber and that's it.  No other lights are showing.

I have done the factory reset.  I've powered it off and on (waiting 20 secs between off and on).  All it wants to do now is show the two amber lights for LAN connections, and I don't even have anything plugged into them currently.  I was waiting to get it online again before plugging back in.

It's been a frustrating two days trying to get this working and I'm an IT professional.  I understand networking but I have no idea what this cable modem is doing!

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1100 on Xfinity - worked for a few minutes and then only the two LAN lights are lit amber

Seems like the unit is bad. Get it returned and find another one. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Sounds like a hardware problem. 

Where did you get it? 

I'd probably exchange it if its a new purchase. 

Try disconnecting the coax from the modem, then try factory resetting it while its powered on. 

Are any of the other led's on? color? solid/blinking?

Message 2 of 9
hflowers
Aspirant

No other lights are on, not even the power light.  Just the two LAN indicators lit amber.  That's not something mentioned in the troubleshooting section of the owners manual.  I haven't tried disconnecting the cable while doing a factory reset, guess I'll try that next.  It's a new modem from Costco, so it that doesn't work, I guess I'll try to return it.  It's been a few weeks since I bought it since I had to wait for Xfinity to run a line from the street to my house and then one inside my house.  I've spent hours on the phone and chat sessions just getting the cable installed and now this!  This is one of the Xfinity-recommended cable modems, so I don't know why it's giving me such problems.

Message 3 of 9
hflowers
Aspirant

Okay, unable to get it to reset whether the cable is plugged in or not.  I've got it powered off and will try again tomorrow before deciding about returning it.

Since factory reset isn't even working, I tend to think it's a hardware problem.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the unit is bad. Get it returned and find another one. 

Message 5 of 9
wen0097
Aspirant

I have this CM1100 on Xfinity for a month so far.  We have the network disconnected this morning and I checked the model and saw the two LAN lights were amber. I powered it off and  on, then he network restored but aminutes later, it happened again and again for a few times.

I guess this is the hardwire issue and going to get a new one from Costco to test it.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Be sure that LAG is disabled on the modem. 

@wen0097 wrote:

I have this CM1100 on Xfinity for a month so far.  We have the network disconnected this morning and I checked the model and saw the two LAN lights were amber. I powered it off and  on, then he network restored but aminutes later, it happened again and again for a few times.

I guess this is the hardwire issue and going to get a new one from Costco to test it.

Message 7 of 9
wen0097
Aspirant

I do  have  cable lsplitters between the modem and ISP service box and I have this setting for many years. even the new CM1100 modem has been working well for a month. Today  was the first time I faced this issue.  and I did power it off and on a few times( 3 or 4 I forgot it ) and got the same error each time, and finally it works and so far it has been in good shape this afternoon. I will pay more attention on this and will order another one as backup. as all stay home these days, the internet is essential now.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Splitters can cause noise or lower the signal on the cable line to the modem. These are not recommended if possible. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7