Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1150V Critical(3), Warning (5) and Notice(6) ongoing random service drop outs.

CM1150V Critical(3), Warning (5) and Notice(6) ongoing random service drop outs.

I've read a number of articles in the group forum, none exactly like mine with my model (CM1150V) but many that are very smiliar but not a huge understanding of what these errors mean. When I call Comcast - a fight ensues automatically with these people. Its always my cable, my modem, my router, - on and on. Add COVID and they completely exhonerate themselves from any service franchise responsibility.

For the past 3 to 5 months, possibly longer I get notifications that my home automation controller has 'gone off line' only to come back on line a few minutes later. Recently, we started noticing that our Cable TV programming box would error out when the 'Guide' button was pressed indicating 'the internet is not connected'. That box was swapped out, problem still persisted. We requested onsite service and after 'dealing with Comcast' in their usual manner, we had a tech scheduled - 4 days later. Within a day, the problems seemed to go away, we cancel the appointment. Again, the proglems are back the following week. Internet connection drops off - devices hang - we get the notifications - a few minutes later, sometimes longer the systems come back online.

I have brand new RG6 Quad shield through out the house with commercial connections. The main line comes in and splits to the amplifier and the cable modem equally. Each of the 4 amp lines goes to different corners of the house and feeds 1-4 additional connections. Never had a problem with any of the video signal dropping out - ever.

Since this drop out problem has never gone away - I've started looking at the 2 year old cable modem. The event log shows sequential Critical(3), Warning(5) and Notice(6) messages within seconds of each other as shown below;Critical3Warning5Notice6.jpg

These messages were plastered up and down the event log - some as little as an hour appart, grouped by a few seconds appart and always in the same sequence - WHAT DO THESE MESSAGES INDICATE?

How does a an average user translate this information to understand what their problems are? - I did a factory reset and it took less than 30 minutes for this sequenced log events to come up again. Is this my issue to resolve or Comcast? If its mine, what is it? If its Comcast - how do you tell them its theirs to fix when all they do is 'COVID Excuse' everything into doing nothing?

Thanks

B...

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions

Re: CM1150V Critical(3), Warning (5) and Notice(6) ongoing random service drop outs.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

THANK YOU!!

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A screen snip of the modems logs and the cable connections page helps. Not just the error you're seeing but all if it. 

Thanks

FYI, photos have to be approved by a moderator. You can click on "choose file" and add each individually. 

Message 2 of 18

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 3 of 18

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 4 of 18

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

You didn't get much of your logs. 

but your power levels are out of spec. 

Your a bit low on the downstream and high on the upstream. 

Meaning either you're a bit far away from the hub or you have something degrading the signal. 

Check the line for splitters or attenuators. Remove them if you have them. 

Check the cable for kinks, damage, old/bad/corroded/loose connections and remove them if you have them. 

Preferrably, move the modem to right where the coax comes into the home and connect it there. this prevents the wiring in the home from being the issue. 

Message 6 of 18

I did a factory reset on it to see if that would resolve the problem. When I did, that was the next error that only took a few minutes to come back up. It was the same sequence of errors over and over in the list. Sometimes 4 to 7 groups in a single day.

If I move my modem closer to the point where the service comes into the house the problem is likely to get worse since that is where the solar inverters, main panel and the transfer switch are all located - which were just installed 2 weeks ago - so, that isn't likely to be the source of the problem that has been ongoing for the past several months. There is a attenuator/filter/slug installed in the line there that Comcast label explicitey states not to remove it. The line between there and the cable modem is 55 feet and brand new RG6QS. That line has been checked twice already. If I remove the only splitter in the line then we don't have Cable TV in the house but I'm willing to see if the frequency of the problem goes down or away by doing as you suggested for a day and looking at the event logs before/after.

After that, I'll look at having another conversation with Comcast - Thank you for the suggestions, while I still have no idea what I'll be talking to them about since I'm no closer to understanding the nature of these error codes in the event log.

B..

Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

You can try the splitter but I'm betting on the attenuators. 

Message 8 of 18

Just so we're on the same page; we're both talking about the device in the picture attached? Correct?

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

That devices isn't a signal attenuator. Its a moca filter. 

https://www.amazon.com/Antronix-Filter-GLF-1002-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B01EXRMIIC

If its bad though, it could be causing issues. do you use moca adapters in your home? 

Message 10 of 18

I don't know what a moca filter is.

This is core of my issue. I don't know what any of this means other than what you tell me it means. That was the root issue in my original post. I would like to understand what these terms and error codes mean and what the technical reference is. A bonus would be able to cite the technical specifications for both my device and what the 'standard' is supposed to be by these franchise service providers. I call these people on the phone and they want to play reboot my modem games over the phone.

They're holding all the cards - what they say, goes and there isn't crap I can do about it because knowledge is power and they hold all of it. Been puttin up with this garbage for over two months now.

Finally had a technician come to the house yesterday. He put a line monitor on our drop coming into the house and found that it was 'low'. Again, what is 'low'? I use specific terms like -dbi, etc. He went to the neighbors house, knocked the on the door and dammit if they weren't having the same issues too. Turns out the whole damn line on the street needs to be replaced because the signal dropout is 'low' where the line comes in from the street 7 houses down.

So now there is ticket open for a crew to come out 'some day' to replace the whole line on the street. Fiber optic can't get here fast enough to make me happy.

Message 11 of 18

So two more visits from Comcast 'contractors' and a third visit from a real Comcast Technician. Dozens of emails between me and Executive Customer Support and the end result was that the wasp nest in the distribution box on the pole was erradicated, the problems at the neighbors house were cleared up and my drop from the pole to the house was replaced. Signal level at the pole was measured at about +6. Just inside my house from the old drop was about -7db went up to a +1db with the new line. The signal to noise was 'acceptable' at the modem. Thanked the real Comcast Technician for his time and understood what needed to be done next.

After a couple days, different problems started occurring now. After systematically eliminating branches within the home I now have just one digital box (just swapped out 3 weeks ago as being suspected bad of course) and the NetGear Night Hawk CM1150V on the system inside my house. I've turned off the old Comscope Amp as I was informed they're obsoleting them due to 'problems' and I've isolated off any of the other room drops from the line.

The drops are still continuing with a Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW. Happens every couple minutes. Attached is a picture of the Errors, Down and Upstream Levels.

Can anyone direct me to a technical reference of what this means? Thanks.

Message 12 of 18
plemans
Guru

those errors are the power going in and out of spec. 

Message 13 of 18

Ok.. again, what power are we talking about? Is this the 120vac to the modem, is this the Tx side of the modem or the Rx side of the modem and what is the specification that the power level should be at and is that the 'Power' in the Downstream column or the upstream column? 

Message 14 of 18
plemans
Guru

The "power levels' are the upstream/downstream dbmv. 

The downstream is the power the cmts/hub is sending to the modem. 

the upstream is the modem sending ot the cmts/hub. 

When the power is increasing out of the specs, you get the dynamic range window violations. 

Message 15 of 18

That is excellent... sorry to keep asking questions. Can you tell me what the upstream specification is and if there is a cited reference for it?

Again, if I had the technical information to be informed as to what is in spec and what isn't I wouldn't be asking so many questions.

Message 16 of 18
plemans
Guru

Message 17 of 18

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

THANK YOU!!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7