Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1150V dramatic slowdown, please help!

Slatham
Tutor

CM1150V dramatic slowdown, please help!

Two weeks ago I upgraded to Xfinity gigabit speed from 400Mbps, and for about a week I was getting speeds of 700-750Mbps.  Around a week ago,  I began to have disconnects where I would lose my Internet connection completely this was happening every day or every other day. Each time this happened I would unplug the CM1150v and the router (R7000), wait 5-7 minutes and then plug them back in and within a few minutes I’d be back online.  Two days ago I had another disconnect and after I got the modem and router back I noticed my speeds had dropped dramatically to where I can only get 100-120Mbps. 

I’ve tried:

Resetting the modem and router (unplugging them and plugging back in) dozens of times. 

I’ve been on the phone with at least six different Comcast techs, each one would remotely reboot the cable modem and confirm that it’s being reprovisioned and being sent the correct bootfile for my speed tier (1000 Mpbs). I can also confirm the both the  router and cable modem have very good airflow (ruling out any possibility of overheating). 

The CM1150v firmware is 2.02.04 and I bought it in February of this year. 

The R7000 firmware has been 1.0.9.88 and 1.0.9.42 (I was on 88, but I rolled back to 42 just in case that was the reason for the slowdown)

Please help, I have no idea what do at this point. Comcast has given up as well. They keep recommending I call Netgear support, but they are too expensive. 

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1150V dramatic slowdown, please help!

The .42 has been the most stable. However, once you update the firmware, you need to reset the router if you downgrade to the .42. That's had the best results for fixing issues with the R7000

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

First is to find out if its a modem or router issue.

1. hardwire your computer directly into the modem. what speeds do you get. If its still slow, its a modem/line problem. 

2. If the modem pulls full speeds, then its a router problem and we need to work on that.

A screen shot of your connections page from the cm1150v will help. Make sure to get all of the screen so we know upload/download connections. 

A screen snip of the logs can help too.  Post them as a link as the mods have to approve pictures that are posted. 

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the singal line quality up to the modem.

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in between the ISP service box and the modem. 

@Slatham wrote:

Two weeks ago I upgraded to Xfinity gigabit speed from 400Mbps, and for about a week I was getting speeds of 700-750Mbps.  Around a week ago,  I began to have disconnects where I would lose my Internet connection completely this was happening every day or every other day. Each time this happened I would unplug the CM1150v and the router (R7000), wait 5-7 minutes and then plug them back in and within a few minutes I’d be back online.  Two days ago I had another disconnect and after I got the modem and router back I noticed my speeds had dropped dramatically to where I can only get 100-120Mbps. 

I’ve tried:

Resetting the modem and router (unplugging them and plugging back in) dozens of times. 

I’ve been on the phone with at least six different Comcast techs, each one would remotely reboot the cable modem and confirm that it’s being reprovisioned and being sent the correct bootfile for my speed tier (1000 Mpbs). I can also confirm the both the  router and cable modem have very good airflow (ruling out any possibility of overheating). 

The CM1150v firmware is 2.02.04 and I bought it in February of this year. 

The R7000 firmware has been 1.0.9.88 and 1.0.9.42 (I was on 88, but I rolled back to 42 just in case that was the reason for the slowdown)

Please help, I have no idea what do at this point. Comcast has given up as well. They keep recommending I call Netgear support, but they are too expensive. 

Message 3 of 11
Slatham
Tutor

First, thanks for taking the time to help out, I very much appreciate it. 

Ok, so I guess it's not my Cable Modem, I did a direct connection Computer to Modem, and got 905Mbps/41Mbps (download/upload)

I assume it's the router then?

Anyway here are the screen shots of my CM1150v Connections page and of Speednet (my computer direct to the CM)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fUjgu21Ns9u2JPtn7

Question is, what's the best way to troubleshoot the Router (R7000) Firmware 1.0.9.42 ?

FYI, I was have the same slowdown issue with the latest firmware (1.0.9.88)

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

It would be the router. 

The R7000 is a semi-older generation router. It may not support 900Mbps on the WAN to LAN which needs NAT hardware accelleration or Cut-Through technology support to achive those speeds. You may need a more newer generation router. The R7800 I have supports 900Mbps on the WAN to LAN. I presume most models after this and the newer RAX series do this as well. The XR450/500 gaming routers also support 900Mbps. 

Try a factory reset on the R7000 and setup from scratch. Be sure to not enable any QoS, Traffic meter or Acess controls. With 1 wired PC connected to the router, speed test after the setup completes. Be sure no wiress devices are connected here as well. 

If the speed doesn't go up, then the router is probably not supportive of near 900Mbp speeds.

If you have a Gb LAN switch and two wired Windows PC you can test your R7000 out for youself using this tool:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/router-wan-to-lan-throughput-test.html

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

So then its time to look at the R7000. There's a ton of threads about the R7000 issues on the nighthawk router forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

I'd check that. 

If you've been making changes to the firmware, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and reset the router afterwards. If you haven't done so, try doing so. 

Its been known to be a problematic router. The .42 firmware you're on is considered to be the most stable. 

Are you using QoS?

Message 6 of 11
Slatham
Tutor

Furry: I thought the R7000 was fairly new, I bought it and the CM1150v in February and I was told that both had just been released (damn your lying, Best Buy!!). Even still, for the week the router was working I was getting 700-750Mbps, what could’ve happened to cause the router to suddenly fail?  I ask because if possible, I’d much rather just fix my existing router then pay for a new one (albeit faster & newer).  If I could get my R7000 back to 700+ I think I’d be happy. 

Plemans: Back before all this started, I had the R7000’s automatic updates set to Enabled.  Regardless of how all of this gets resolved, going forward I think I’m always going to have it set to Disabled.  When problems first started I was at 1.0.9.88,  when I finally have a large drop in speed I downgraded the firmware to 1.0.9.42 but the issues remain. So I guess the question is what is the best firmware (most stable/fastest) for the R7000?

To Both: I don’t use QOS, access control or traffic monitoring. 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

The .42 has been the most stable. However, once you update the firmware, you need to reset the router if you downgrade to the .42. That's had the best results for fixing issues with the R7000

Message 8 of 11
Slatham
Tutor

You are a life saver!! I just reset everything and for whatever reason, I’m now getting 932/41 !! 

I cant thank you enough!

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it you got it up and working right!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The R7000 came out in 2013. A while ago. 

You might want to post back over on the NG router forum that recent FW seems to slow down the R7000 Gb performaces. Let @DarrenM and @Christian_R know about this discrepancy. 

Glad the FW seems to have helped though. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Slatham wrote:

Furry: I thought the R7000 was fairly new, I bought it and the CM1150v in February and I was told that both had just been released (damn your lying, Best Buy!!). Even still, for the week the router was working I was getting 700-750Mbps, what could’ve happened to cause the router to suddenly fail?  I ask because if possible, I’d much rather just fix my existing router then pay for a new one (albeit faster & newer).  If I could get my R7000 back to 700+ I think I’d be happy. 

Plemans: Back before all this started, I had the R7000’s automatic updates set to Enabled.  Regardless of how all of this gets resolved, going forward I think I’m always going to have it set to Disabled.  When problems first started I was at 1.0.9.88,  when I finally have a large drop in speed I downgraded the firmware to 1.0.9.42 but the issues remain. So I guess the question is what is the best firmware (most stable/fastest) for the R7000?

To Both: I don’t use QOS, access control or traffic monitoring. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7