Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1150v Availability

walruspete
Guide

CM1150v Availability

Hi,

Does anybody know when the CM1150v cable modem will be available for sale?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Well, don't know if this has been answered but I just received mine today. Must be pretty fresh becasue I can't find much in the way of feedback out there. 

I will say I have Xfinity Gigbit internet service and spent 4 hours going back and forth with different chat agents tonight trying to receive the promised speed. Never could get DOCSIS 3.1 or the proper speed. Xfinity finally gave up and referred me to Netgrear support. BTW, I purchased it from BB and received it quickly. Other sites such as AMZ don't list it as being for sale until the end of January.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be a fantastic modem, but I'm not off to a good start!

Best of luck.

Message 2 of 37
walruspete
Guide

Awesome!  I ordered mine on Amazon and don't mind the delay.  These devices are usually quite buggy at first and it'll take a couple of months for the updates to get them more stable.

Message 3 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Great to hear. I'm sure you're right about the bugs at first 🙂

I did open a ticket with Netgear since Xfinity had no more answers for me. I'll update if I reach any resolution. Otherwise, best of luck to you!

Message 4 of 37
gbly
Tutor

Got mine yesterday, setup was a breeze, not getting gigabit speeds. Modem rebooted itself overnight, no internet this morning, had to reboot the router. then modem rebooted itself again, I think it got a firmware update, but not sure. Working now but not at top speed 😞

Message 5 of 37
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@CPTWingit @gbly

Please PM me details (current speedtest results, CM MAC, Account #, screenshots of the connection page and event log, and confirmation if you have ever seen Close to gigabit  before purchasing CM1150V such as XB6 Comcast gateway)

Message 6 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Great to hear about your setup experience gbly. Mine was the smoothest I've every experienced provisioning a modem as well but sadly, that's where it ended.

As mentioned, many hours wasted with Xfinity chat support until I reached the end of their script and they punted me.  After four hours I couldn't seem to convey to them that I either wasn't getting a DOCSIS 3.1 connection or they were limiting me somehow. When I'd run a speed test, it would bump right up to the 900's and then dive into the 300-400's which is what I was paying for before my upgrade to Gigbit service. Oh, and after I was told I had to replace my Arris SB6190 because it wasn't compatible. Even though it is a 1.4gbs modem. Weeping... 

Message 7 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Will do, thx...

Message 8 of 37
JimSa
Initiate

Please continue to share findings back on this thread.  Like many others I'm looking to purchase this unit, but it sounds like it doesn't work with Comcast at gigabit speed...  Right now, there are only two other options with Comcast.  1.) Lease their modem or 2.) Activate 2 modems, with one being for phone...  Looking forward to a "Working" version of the CM1150v product.

Message 9 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Sure will. Since my last post, I've been working with a Netgear employee and have had a couple more go-arounds with Comcast chat support. My speeds are still half of what they sould be (400-500) and I'm not sure I'm any closer to a resolution. I have learned along the way that Comcast chat support can't "see" your modem logs since you own the modem...funny thing is they never asked for results or indicated as much. I offered the results to them and they said it would be quite helpful...ya think? Anyway, I'll post if I even think I'm on the right track to a successful resolution.

Message 10 of 37
gbly
Tutor

Screenshot_2019-01-19 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.pngScreenshot_2019-01-17 Xfinity Speed Test.png

Message 11 of 37
gbly
Tutor

As you can see by my previous post I tried speedtest.net and get a totally different speed than comcast test. I guess comcast test is wrong? Moden has been running fine last 3 days 🙂

Message 12 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Great to hear! I'm still in Comcast purgatory. No real answers yet. You are right, speedtest.net results are usually less favorable than Comcasts. Strange. Early on the Netgreat employee trying to work with me indicated my line was too "hot". He didn't think that was the issue, but after no resolution and many days, I'm not so sure. I've just ordered the Motoroa SB8600 since people seem to have fewer issues with Comcast Gigabit service.

I want to love the Netgear, but don't know if I can survice another fruitless hours long session with Comcast support. I still have few days before the new modem arrives and will continue to check what I can. I just received an order of high frequency couplers and compression F connectors in case it is signal/cable related. 

Thanks for the update! Happy surfing...

Message 13 of 37
walruspete
Guide

Can you provide a link to the Motorola SB8600?  I can't find it anywhere online.  I only see an MB8600.  I'd like to compare the specs to the CM1150V.  Thanks.

Message 14 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Well, how embarrasing. You are correct sir. I'm so used to having surfboards I typed the wrong model. It is the MB8600. I ordered it from Amaz... but it is available at BB and a couple other places. Honestly, I'm surprised no one stocks it locally. I read an article comparing the top few DOCSIS 3.1 modems and decided I'd take a chance with it. I'll also paste a photo that Comcast chat provided showing the only fully compatible 3.1 modems at the moment. I just thought that since the Netgear was in the same family as the approved modems, that it would be okay.  Article: https://bluegadgettooth.com/best-docsis-3-1-cable-modem/

Note, I've attached a screen shot of the approved modems...

Message 15 of 37
walruspete
Guide

The MB8600 looks like a great product but it doesn't have telephony, so I can't consider it.

Message 16 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Yeah, I didn't even think about the V representing voice! I don't need that component though. I will tell you I switch from Comcast voice to Ooma about 4 years ago and it's been fantastic. I use the top package and pay them $50ish annually and $5 a month becasue of federal, state and local taxes. I never even think about the bill. It comes out as a PayPal deduction.

Anyway, TMI 🙂

BTW, the only things the Netgear guy did tell me was that my downstream power was too high and that my upstream power is a tad low so I just ordered a 6db attenuator. Won't be here til Wednesday but I'll see if it changes anything.

Message 17 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

BTW, I'm getting a kick out of the fact Netgear considers me a guide 🙂 I've elevated about 5 levels in 10 posts. Just think, by my 15th post I'll be a level 100 Zen Master! Smiley LOL

I assure you, I'm just a regular o'l idiot.

Message 18 of 37
walruspete
Guide

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely give Ooma a look but the weird problem is that if I switch from the Comcast Triple play package to double play--just TV and Internet--the available speeds Comcast offers are lower than what I currently have.

Message 19 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

That's strange indeed. I can tell you that I have had the compter show me things that were innacurate. Not sure if you've called them regarding possibilities. When I got the 400mbs package of just internet, it wasn't an option that I could find, and when I switched to the gigabit, I only had internet but they offered me the doubleplay streaming package (no box required but you have to have a certain level of Samsung TV; its called XfinityStream beta). I was paying $79 for just the internet and they offered me a 2 years deal for $69 for the first year and $89 for the second year. They told me to call after the first year and they'd cut the $89 price down. For me it's like getting TV for free and increasing my speed to gigabit. Oddly though, if I look at the online packages, the price is higher; I think $89. Anyway, point being I think they have lots of options and flexibility for what they can give you vs. what is listed online.

Oops left out a major point to this!!!! So sorry. With my 400mbs service and my gigabit service there is a $29 Speed Blast charge in additon. Didn't mean to be disingenous.

Message 20 of 37
TedInCall
Tutor

Got mine today, can't get over 580mbps!

Also sucks to find out the firmare is not available for port aggration with the matching nighthawk router

Message 21 of 37
CPTWingit
Guide

Sorry, very frustrating indeed. I gave up and bought a Motorola MB8600 as it was one of the 3 approved and compatible modems. Still no luck. At lease I can verify that I"m locked onto DOCSIS 3.1 as the lights are all blue. When running speed tests it will jump up to and over 1GBps but then bounce quickly down to under 500 and stay there. Doesn't seem to matter where it test, wired to modem, from wired router using Orbi's speed test, or wirelessly. All about the same. My money is that it's Comcast somehow. I will say also that I purchased an attenuator to tweak my signal strenght a bit. All of my numbers are well within optimal range now so no idea.  The one Netgear guy who was helping abandoned ship on me as well, so there's that then.  Good luck to you.

Message 22 of 37
TedInCall
Tutor

Unfortunately this is the ONLY gig-speed modem with Voice and comcast/xfinity does not offer or support seperate VoIP adapters and I have xfinity voice for my home phone line.

Message 23 of 37
JimSa
Initiate

I gave up waiting...  I decided to use a splitter and use my old modem for phone only and a new Arris DOCSYS 3.1 gBit speed.  No problems so far. 

I did make one interesting discovery in my own testing.  When plugged directly to the router I saw dramatic speed differences from one browser to another, even a after clearing all caches etc.  Chrome was consistently over 900Mbit.   Edge was in 500 Mbit range.  I suspect there is more packet sniffing somehwere in the stack for Edge, but that's just a guess.  Anyway, YMMV but you might want to try another browser for the speed tests.

Message 24 of 37
darkangelic
Aspirant

@JimSa wrote:

I gave up waiting...  I decided to use a splitter and use my old modem for phone only and a new Arris DOCSYS 3.1 gBit speed.  No problems so far. 

I was using a dual modem setup with Comcast (ARRIS SB8200 + ARRIS TM722G) before I got the CM1150v. The SB8200 I bought retail on BestBuy, the TM722G I got cheap used on Amazon, around $25. This worked pretty well for me too. 

Only reason I have the CM1150V is because I was a beta tester for the product prior to launch. 

I did make one interesting discovery in my own testing.  When plugged directly to the router I saw dramatic speed differences from one browser to another, even a after clearing all caches etc.  Chrome was consistently over 900Mbit.   Edge was in 500 Mbit range.  I suspect there is more packet sniffing somehwere in the stack for Edge, but that's just a guess.  Anyway, YMMV but you might want to try another browser for the speed tests.

Browsers themselves, as well as the machine used for testing, will have some overhead due to operating system, hardware, and other limitations. Ideally, one should use a dedicated app such as the OOKLA Speedtest app, which is available on multiple platforms.

Message 25 of 37
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7