Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1150v plugged into wall phone outlet but no phones in house work

stephenie89
Aspirant

CM1150v plugged into wall phone outlet but no phones in house work

I have the CM1150v modem with voice, have xfinity voice service. If I plug a phone into the back of the modem, phone service works. I need to connect the modem to my wall jack to serve all the phones in the house. When I plug the phone cable into the back of the modem and the other end into my wall jack, none of the phones work. When I had the xfinity equipment, all the phones in the house plugged into their individual wall phone jacks worked. Help!

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If a phone works directly connected to the CM modem, and not with the modem connected to your home phone wall jack, I would presume the problem would be the wall phone jack and cabling in the home needs to be looked in to. Check to see if the CM modem fully supports being connecte to a in wall phone jack system. 

Message 2 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

I know the phone jacks & wiring in the house work. Just switched from traditional landline phone service back to Xfinity voice. I have searched for info and can't find anything that talks about whether this CM1150v modem works with just one phone or the whole house. Not sure why it would just work with one phone, thats kind of pointless considering it is supposed to be the alternative to the xfinity rented equipment. It just seems I must be missing a step or equipment to get the modem to push the dial tone to all the phone jacks
Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the main phone line disconnected from the outside phone line on the pole or main phone switch box that connects to the phone pole or service box out side? Possible that this maybe causing problems. Maybe isolate the phone jack system from the phone pole/service box outside and see. 

@vkdelta 

Message 4 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

Will try that, thanks for the idea!
Message 5 of 20
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

yes, please disconnect any other non-comcast/xfinity lines.

let us know if works after that.

also, please share few pictures of your setup and wall jacks.

If you draw a quick diagram, it would be great.

Message 6 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

Still not working. Disconnected the phone line in the phone box on the outside of the house. I've attached pictures of the back of my modem with the phone wire, and a second picture of that wire plugged in the wall phone jack. We have multiple phone jacks in the house but only have phones connected to 3. I've checked all the wall jacks in the house, no dial tone. I don't know why the dial tone isn't going into our house phone wiring from the modem. If I plug a phone into the modem directly, that phone works. Any tips will be appreciated!
Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a termincation switch box some where in side the home or garage where the wall jacks all go to or do they all go to the outside box? 

Message 8 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

No, just the outside box. Its so frustrating because I didn't even have to mess with the outside bix when I was using the comcast rented equipment. I just can't figure out why this Netgear modem isn't just working. I've even tried using different phone cords, nothing. Ugh.
Message 9 of 20
jjmyers509
Aspirant

Just a word of hope, That modem works in a setup just like you want it to. Mine has been hooked up with that modem for about 4 months now. Sounds like something got disconnected that shouldnt be along the way.

@stephenie89 wrote:
No, just the outside box. Its so frustrating because I didn't even have to mess with the outside bix when I was using the comcast rented equipment. I just can't figure out why this Netgear modem isn't just working. I've even tried using different phone cords, nothing. Ugh.

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You might get a phone line tech out and have them check your phone line cabling in the home to make sure it's configured correctly. 

@stephenie89 wrote:

Message 11 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

I'm trying to avoid that and not sure it should be necessary. My phones were all working fine the morning before the porting completed and when I had xfinity voice in the past, everything worked fine. None of our wiring has changed since our house was built in 2001, nothing has been opened up or messed with.
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I suppose you could try another CM1150v modem unit. Possible the one you have could be faulty...

Message 13 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

Thats what I'm starting to think. Unfortunately, this one is already past the warranty (we've had it a year, just finally pulled the trigger on activating the voice service).
Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact the forum moderator and see what other options are avaialble to you. Wondering if the unit was faulty to begin with and you didn't know untill you activated VoIP. Smiley Frustrated

@vkdelta 

Message 15 of 20
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

do you have any other wall plugs to test with?

what was your previous equipment?

when was it tested last ? couple of months back or long back? do you have access to the main termination point (such as Bedroom closet where everything terminates). Have you checked wether all the wires are connected there? 

Message 16 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

Every phone jack is also a cable jack in our house. That is my next step- pull the modem out of our office, connect it to cable & phone in another room. Will update after I try that.
Previous to this, I had traditional phone landline. Several years back had Comcast voice for about 2 yrs before switching back to landline. I don't have a main termination point in my house, it all appears to be in the garage. Will look again, but everything I've checked looks to be good. And was all working just prior to Xfinity porting my number from the landline phone company. I really do not think its my wiring, I've checked everything I can see. Based on all the feedback here & on Xfinity site, I think its either the voice modem just isn't working right or my office phone jack picked the afternoon of my phone number finally porting over to break.
I appreciate all the attempts to help. Still hoping there is some trick I'm missing before I have to buy a new modem.
Message 17 of 20
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

I thought you had comcast xifnity just 1-2 months but looks like you had DSL type landline phone before this. I am not sure if they have modified the wiring. 

Please make sure wiring in main closet is ok.

1. What voice port connect to wall plug? Port 1 or port 2? Cany ou take photo
  2. What’s the voice LED (line1 / line2) status when eMTA online? Solid on? Flashing? Or?
  3. Can you capture eMTA voice status page, DOCSIS event log page.
  4. How many phones connect to wall plug?
  5. What kind of phone connect to wall plug? Can you take photo of each phone.
  6. Can you just plug one phone on wall plug and offhook, see if there is dial tone. If no, can you capture eMTA event log in GUI. If DUT detect offhook or onhook event, it will record the event in the event log.
  7. Same as step6, but connect phone directly to voice port 1, offhook and check dial tone, capture eMTA event log in GUI.
Message 18 of 20
stephenie89
Aspirant

Nope, never had DSL. We had xfinity years ago, switch back to traditional phone line, just switched back to xfinity voice. Wires are fine, as I've already stated. Phone plugged into line 1 on back of modem works. Line 1 & 2 lights on modem are solid lit. When I plug cord from line 1 into wall, it doesn't power rest of house phones. Finally have some time to do more troubleshooting so will update as I've narrowed it down to 2 things.
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your phone line cable between the modem and the wall jack is good. I recommend the 4 wire/pin cables over any two wire cables. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7