Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 | Switched ISPs and Modem cannot activate because of the firmware version

ng_alex
Tutor

CM1200 | Switched ISPs and Modem cannot activate because of the firmware version

Hi,

I have a CM1200 modem that was originally bought to replace a Spectrum modem.

The current firmware on the device is the latest approved spectrum firmware (v3.02.01).

I recently moved and the only ISP available is not an "approved" ISP but is "compatible".  The new ISP is having trouble activating this modem on their network.

I believe that I need to get the CM1200 back to firmware version v2.02.03, in order for their network to be able to successfully activate my own modem.

However, it seems like the only way for the firmware to be upgraded is by the ISP itself.  Does anyone know how to manually reset the firmware? Or am I totally off base here, and the ISP should still be able to push the correct firmware version.

Appreciate any help or guidance if anyone has gone through a similar situation.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1200 | Switched ISPs and Modem cannot activate because of the firmware version

Optimum is a PITA to deal with. Worse than xfinity and that's saying something. 

You're right in that they still don't support ipv6 and that could be the issue. 

I've seen 1 other case (quite a while ago) where a user was coming from an IPv6 isp to altice and had this issue. 

The prior ISP set their modems firmware to only accept IPv6 and so when optimum tried to provision, they weren't able to because of the prior ISP's firmware. 

If I remember correctly (it was a while ago and I couldn't find the post), the user had to buy a new modem. 

Reason why is you can't push firmware independent of an ISP.  

Are you  still within warranty? Potentially you could see if support would replace it but its doubtful as its not a hardware failure as its an issue between the prior isp and the current. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The firmware is part of the provisioning for the device. when the ISP activates the mac/device on their network and sends the provisioning, that has the firmware and the speed settings. 

So there isn't a way to change the firmware on it. 

Is the ISP able to ping/see the modem on their network? 

Message 2 of 7
ng_alex
Tutor

Currently when trying to attempt to set up with my ISP.

I take out their provided modem, provide them with the MAC of the CM1200.  It boots up properly until it gets the internet light, which never turns solid, only blinks. 

The ISP tells me that they see the modem on their network, however after a period of time the sequence resets back to DS/US acquisition, and then gets back to the blinking internet light.

But basically, on the last phone call they were telling me that they would see the device online and then it would go offline (on their end) every couple of minutes.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

who's your isp? 

Got a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs while thats going on? 

Message 4 of 7
ng_alex
Tutor

The new ISP is optimum/altice who have notoriously bad support.

Unfortunately I do not have screenshots of the logs/or connections. I apologize for this, as I know you basically will have nothing to work off of.

But in the event logs it was showing the modem, there were a bunch of messages about being unable to synchronize the time, so there were not timestamps of the events occurring.

Another message that I recall was "unable to determine IP provisioning mode defaulting to IPV6", which optimum does not support.

One additional message was that the modem sent a DHCP Solicit but did not receive a DHCP advertisement back.  In some of these messages, the part of the message that listed the MAC always had my cm1200's MAC in them, but would switch between having the DHCP advertisement MAC being an actual MAC address and then sometimes it would be 00:00:00:00:00:00.

On the connections page it would cycle through different frequencies and always obtain 1 upstream (ATDMA) and 1 downstream (QAM256) bonded channel.

Depending on which starting frequency the downstream locked channel power levels would range from 4dB-7dB and the SNR ratio ranged from 42dB-52dB.

The locked upstream channel showed a symbol rate of 5120 ksym/sec.  Unfortunately I cannot recall what the power levels on the upstream channel were.

Some additional information. I only have internet service from optimum, no voice or cable service.  There are no splitters in between the cable drop inside my home and the modem.  

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Optimum is a PITA to deal with. Worse than xfinity and that's saying something. 

You're right in that they still don't support ipv6 and that could be the issue. 

I've seen 1 other case (quite a while ago) where a user was coming from an IPv6 isp to altice and had this issue. 

The prior ISP set their modems firmware to only accept IPv6 and so when optimum tried to provision, they weren't able to because of the prior ISP's firmware. 

If I remember correctly (it was a while ago and I couldn't find the post), the user had to buy a new modem. 

Reason why is you can't push firmware independent of an ISP.  

Are you  still within warranty? Potentially you could see if support would replace it but its doubtful as its not a hardware failure as its an issue between the prior isp and the current. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 6 of 7
ng_alex
Tutor

Thanks for the guidance on this one and confirming what I thought was the issue.  But yes optimum has terrible support, and even before I told them anything they said there was an 80% chance of failure, (which i have found is the same script i have found people being told on other sources on the internet.

Again I appreciate the help and will try and reach out to netgear support directly.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7