Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 hell on Spectrum

ssherm01
Follower

CM1200 hell on Spectrum

So I really need help from Netgear or someone.  I have a CM1200 that I bought and our cable system was not 3.1 yet.  They could never get upstream channels to lock.  Now they finally are 3.1 in my area and it still will not work right.  I see that there is new firmware that should fix the issue.  But Spectrum says they will never push firmware to update customers modem and Netgear says ISP has to do it.

I have owned Netgear products for over 10 years and have never had such a problem.  I own a IT Consulting firm and I just can't believe I have a 200+ dollar Netgear paper wieght sitting in a box.

Any help would be great.

Thank you 

Scott Sherman

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you have to blame the DOCSIS cable spec for that. They let the ISPs control what FW gets pushed. Some ISP will push FW to user owned modems, some will not. Especially spectrum. 

So your best best is to return the modem, use a Spectrum modem and get your self a external wifi router which you can control the FW updates on. IF there is a different cable ISP, try them, if not, you maybe stuck with spectrum. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 10
AsleepAtTheMeal
Initiate

I have been experiencing the same issue with Spectrum, my CM1200, and old firmware. With my CM1200 I experience between 2% and 20% packet loss, depending on the time of day (it seems to directly correlate to Spectrum network congestion on my local segment), and when I'm not dropping packets, my latency to IP addresses within 100km of me fluctuates wildly (between <10ms and ~900ms).  Spectrum technicians have visited a few times and checked the lines all the way from my cable modem to the first upstream Spectrum device, and found no issues, so it doesn't appear to be a layer 1 problem.

When I initially spoke to Spectrum support, they said that the CM1200 wouldn't work on their network (despite the fact that mine had been working just fine until they made a change on their backend). When I pointed them to this page on the Spectrum site which lists the CM1200 as a modem that Spectrum recommends for Internet speeds up to a Gig, their story changed, and I got escalated to an engineer.

From looking through my network logs this began at the same time that Spectrum enabled OFDMA in my region. This issue has been fixed for a while now in CM1200 firmware, as @ssherm01  points out. Whoever at Spectrum said that they don't update customer modems, though, was misinformed. Spectrum controls the firmware version on cable modems on their network, whether those modems are owned by Spectrum or the customer. I've even heard tales about customers getting test CM1200 modems from Netgear that were running newer 2.x firmware, and these test modems worked great with Spectrum for a bit until they were downgraded by Spectrum to V1.02.01 (at which point they began having the issues that you're experiencing and that I experienced).

The Spectrum engineer with whom I spoke spent some time explaining to me exactly how they rolled out firmware to customer modems (including customer-owned modems), why they wouldn't allow customers to update the firmware on their own (personally-owned) modems, how they kept customer modems "in compliance" (including auto-downgrading firmware), and much more.  In fact, the only thing he didn't seem to have any idea about was when Spectrum was planning to update the CM1200 firmware from V1.02.01 to something newer, or if Spectrum was even in the evaluation/testing process for such firmware. This Netgear page indicates that Spectrum is the only provider still on V1.anything for the CM1200, so I'm not optimistic.

For now, I am temporarily using a Hitron EN2251 that Spectrum sent me as a troubleshooting step, and I'm no longer seeing the constant channel lock errors, packet loss, jitter, and other problems that I was getting with the CM1200 after Spectrum rolled out OFDMA. I'm checking the Netgear page once a week to see if Spectrum has finally updated the firmware, at which point I'll give my CM1200 another shot, but meanwhile at least I can use network services again that are sensitive to jitter and packet loss.

To me it seems like this is entirely in Spectrum's court to fix:

1. Spectrum lists CM1200 as a recommended modem
  2. Spectrum deploys OFDMA, which effectively breaks that recommended modem
  3. Spectrum won't udpate the older firmware with a known fix for the known service issue they caused with that recommended modem (firmware that all other ISPs have already upgraded)

...so Spectrum should provide an acceptable workaround to affected customers until Spectrum has resolved #3.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you'll have to talk with Spectrum about. If you can get escalated support or get someone to listen and understand, however agian, it maybe there policy not to push FW. One issue was that I believe years ago, some ISPs got burned by pushing FW updates to user modems that broke them. So the ISP had to replace the ones that they broke. Now ISPs are supposed to be testing any FW that comes from Modem Mfr BEFORE they push FW to ensure nothing is broke. So if Spectrum is testing NGs FW, and it works, they could push. Would be something to ask someone there to see and if your wiling to let them push and accept full responsbility if something happens, then maybe they might. Again, something to see if they will do. 

Message 4 of 10
ctem81
Star

I know the pain. I actually opened a BBB complaint against both spectrum and netgear. Finally got the right contacts at both netgear and spectrum and they forced a firmware update on my modem. Running 3.02.01 on the spectrum network without any issues on the CM1200. It is very frustrating that they still haven’t pushed it out globally to other customers. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32832397-Netgear-CM1200-is-now-crap-OFDMA-just-enabled-on-upstream
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to ISPs to push FW. It's a DOCSIS Spec. Users need to contact there ISPs about this. Some ISP will not push updates to user owned modems. So be aware of that. 

Message 6 of 10
MisFiTkEv
Guide

I REALLY wish SPECTRUM and NETGEAR would help us out here:

Spectrum has this modem on their list of approved modems, even a TOP TIER speed modem: (https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network/)|

However, looking across the community forums here---I see there are issues for many of us using the cm1200. I suspect HIGHLY because of the lack of firmware updates---that have come to other ISPs, but not Spectrum. Seeing as how the other providers are on v3 of the firmware and Spectrum is still on v1, I think that may have a LOT to do with the issues here.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Ive had 3 techs come out and test signal. Ive rebooted at least 100x---over months--- changed wireless routers--- and still have issues. I REALLY wish I could get some support by the companies involved here. Instead, I bought a "premium" cablem modem and have basically been dismissed by both companies. Unfortunately, Spectrum has the monopoly around here---but im questioning the utility of purchasing NeatGear products in the future without official support ---

Has ANYONE made progress with this?

Message 7 of 10
ctem81
Star

Just sent you a PM with contact info for guys at netgear who should be able to help you out.  

Message 8 of 10
sh0rty
Tutor

I am late to the party, but have a personal CM1200 on SPectrum here in San Antonio, Texas and have been experiencing connection issues for some time. Is there even a work around to update the firmware yourself?  I did not even realize I could not do until reading all these threads about it. 

Message 9 of 10
AsleepAtTheMeal
Initiate

From the techs with whom I spoke at Netgear and also at Spectrum, this is not something that end users can do. Even if they could, apparently Spetrum's systems detect firmware version and automatically downgrade... there was another user who, as a troubleshooting measure, was sent a CM1200 from Netgear that had the latest firmware, and within about 24 hours of it being on the Spectrum network, it had been downgraded by Spectrum to the old version that their system upgrade broke.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7