Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1200 modem not working with R7800 router

M79
Aspirant
Aspirant

CM1200 modem not working with R7800 router

I just increased my internet speed to 800 so I got the CM1200 and my R7800 will not get an internet signal from it, the R7800 is the only thing plugged into the CM1200, it still works fine with other modems, made sure firmware is up to date and even hooked them together with the netgear app to insure proper order, the internet works fine out of the modem if say I plug my ps4 directly into it just seems the router and modem are not communicating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1200 modem not working with R7800 router

Try this. 

1. disconnect everything from the cm1200 and the router. Even coax. Then power them both off. 

2. what 2 minutes.

3. connect coax back to the modem and power it on. wait 2 minutes

4. connect port 1 on cm1200 to wan port on router. 

5. power the router on and wait 2 mintues. 

see if it can be setup. 

Make sure nothing else gets plugged into the cm1200. It has more ports but most ISP's only allow 1 device to be connected to it. 

Message 2 of 17
M79
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the input, I tried exactly as you suggested but there is still no internet coming out of the router either wirelessly or wired.
Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

Tried changing the cable? 

Tried factory resetting the R7800?

Message 4 of 17
M79
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just tried both of those again and they made no difference.
Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you power OFF the CM and R units for 30 seconds and power back ON the CM modem first then R router, does the internet LED turn WHITE on the router? 

Message 6 of 17
plemans
Guru

Have you checked the wan port on the r7800?

WAN or LAN port not working | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Also what are you seeing on the R7800 Basic Tab under the Internet section? Are you seeing "Waiting"?

I'm seeing same on my R7800 connected to ports 2 and 3 on my CM1200. I know Ports 1 and 2 work as I have two different routers connected to these ports before. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the R7800?

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so I got mine working. I had been using Voxels FW and for some reason would not connect to internet in router mode. Did in Bridge mode. I connected the router behind a different router and still no interent access and status was Waiting. 

So I downgraded back to Stock FW v60:

V60WaitingStatusWorkingInternetDblNAT.png

See same Status message of Waiting but I had internet services. I didn't factory reset though I should have to see if this would clear the Waiting message.

Got speeds thru the R7800 and host router fine:

v60SpeedResultsDblNAT.png

After downgrading to stock v60 the setup wizard reported v82 being available for the R7800. So I let it update to v82:

V82Working.png

Status changed to GOOD after the router rebooted. 

Speed test results thru the R7800 and host router:

v82SpeedResultsDblNAT.png

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, I see a few items on this new v82 FW thats concerning:

When I connected the R7800 directly to my CM1200 on port #2, it fails to get any internet and says there is an Error

Factory resetting the R7800 and using Manual (Let me Choose) configuration also caused the R7800 to fail to get internet and reports and Error:

v82CM1200RebootOnly.png

I can connect other NG routers to my CM1200, any port, reboot the CM1200 modem and they will acquire Internet services successfully. 

Also manually setting up other NG routers and not using the setup wizard will connect to the CM1200 modem after it's rebooted, and acquire internet services successfully. 

If I walk thru the setup wizard pre and post Factory Reset on the R7800, the R7800 connects to the CM1200 modem and the status is GOOD:

v82WorkingCM1200AfterSetupWizard.png

Internet services work after this. 

As I was walking thru the setup wizard, as I'm inputting admin and security input values for the Answers, when I select NEXT but, I see the values change to some random text in the input text boxes for the Answers so this causes me to think, is the router changing my input values or is this visually encrypting the values? 

UIAdminAcct_AutoChangeSecAnswersNextButton_v82.png

These are NOT the inputted values I typed in before selecting the NEXT button. Saw this on Opera GX and MS Edge. Browser caches were cleared prior. 

After getting setup from two different factory resets, the QOS Speed test is reporting around 600Mpbs for a 1Gb ISP download service:

v82CM1200SpeedResultsLOW.png

Should be seeing 900Mpbs +-

And actual WIndows 10x64 wired PC  thru the R7800 speed results are terribly low on v82:

v82WindowsWiredLowSpeedResultsCM1200.png

Pre and Post QOS Speed Test results on R7800. Seems like HW NAT Acceleration or Cut-thru isn't working on this version of FW?

I know the R7800 can support near 900Mpbs as I've seen good speeds before on older versions of FW...Other NG routers I have DO support 1Gb download speeds with the CM1200. 

Hope NG will review this please. 

@Christian_R 

Message 10 of 17
M79
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, it starts off as a solid orange then once the 2.4 and 5 ghz lights are white it starts flickering with them (still orange)
Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The Internet LED flashes AMBER (orange)? 

@M79 wrote:
No, it starts off as a solid orange then once the 2.4 and 5 ghz lights are white it starts flickering with them (still orange)

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use a wired PC and web browser and log into the routers web page and select Setup Wizard from the Advanced Tab while the router is connected to the modem? Select the option of "Let Genie app help you configure the router". Walk thru this method. 

Message 13 of 17
M79
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for the great ideas, I have resolved whatever was going on and the router is now working. In case you are interested the firmware was V80 and it said it was up to date, I tried a factory reset again and this time it prompted me to update to V82, after that it seems to work just fine. Thanks again all.😁
Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
Be sure to visit the Nighthawk forum for your model router for support additional information:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Enjoy.

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I need to add to this. 

I found that the Wireless Bridge mode seems broke on the R7800 with v82 loaded. 

I can set it up and input the SSID name and PW for the R7800 to attached to the host SSID broadcast however after the Apply button is selected, I see the R7800 reboot. After serveral seconds, the Power, Internet, both WIFI frequencies, Enable Wifi and WPS LEDs turn ON steady and nothing else happens. My wired PC connected to the LAN port blinks however it fails to get any IP address thru the R7800. I expect the 5Ghz WiFi LED to turn ON and begin to blink and eventually the wired PC to gain an  IP address. I left the router for about 5 minutes and nothing appeared on the wired PC. 

I can't remember last version of FW I had on the R7800, however I believe it was working then. I'll try and revert FW versions and see where what works. 

@DarrenM 

@ChristineT 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, I see a few items on this new v82 FW thats concerning:

When I connected the R7800 directly to my CM1200 on port #2, it fails to get any internet and says there is an Error

Factory resetting the R7800 and using Manual (Let me Choose) configuration also caused the R7800 to fail to get internet and reports and Error:

v82CM1200RebootOnly.png

I can connect other NG routers to my CM1200, any port, reboot the CM1200 modem and they will acquire Internet services successfully. 

Also manually setting up other NG routers and not using the setup wizard will connect to the CM1200 modem after it's rebooted, and acquire internet services successfully. 

If I walk thru the setup wizard pre and post Factory Reset on the R7800, the R7800 connects to the CM1200 modem and the status is GOOD:

v82WorkingCM1200AfterSetupWizard.png

Internet services work after this. 

As I was walking thru the setup wizard, as I'm inputting admin and security input values for the Answers, when I select NEXT but, I see the values change to some random text in the input text boxes for the Answers so this causes me to think, is the router changing my input values or is this visually encrypting the values? 

UIAdminAcct_AutoChangeSecAnswersNextButton_v82.png

These are NOT the inputted values I typed in before selecting the NEXT button. Saw this on Opera GX and MS Edge. Browser caches were cleared prior. 

After getting setup from two different factory resets, the QOS Speed test is reporting around 600Mpbs for a 1Gb ISP download service:

v82CM1200SpeedResultsLOW.png

Should be seeing 900Mpbs +-

And actual WIndows 10x64 wired PC  thru the R7800 speed results are terribly low on v82:

v82WindowsWiredLowSpeedResultsCM1200.png

Pre and Post QOS Speed Test results on R7800. Seems like HW NAT Acceleration or Cut-thru isn't working on this version of FW?

I know the R7800 can support near 900Mpbs as I've seen good speeds before on older versions of FW...Other NG routers I have DO support 1Gb download speeds with the CM1200. 

Hope NG will review this please. 

@Christian_R 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements