Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 slows down after 24-48 hours of uptime when using link aggregation

ThePiston450
Tutor

Having the same problem here. Opened a support ticket when first purchased but got the run around from net gear blaming Comcast for the issue. I have the rax120 router with cm1150 modem with latest firmware on both. I can confirm same findings, modem reset fixes issue after 24 hours of speed decrease. I wish netgear would fix this issue. I can also see that single wan on gigabit shows download of 940 and wan aggregation brings it to 1190. So it does benefit the gigabit connection. Netgear, please fix. All my channels are locked and signals are perfect in cable modem GUI also.
Message 76 of 151
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post in this thread for your model modem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CM1150V-LACP-LAGG-Firmware-Issue-Comcast-V2-02...

This issue only for the CM1200. 

@ThePiston450 wrote:
Having the same problem here. Opened a support ticket when first purchased but got the run around from net gear blaming Comcast for the issue. I have the rax120 router with cm1150 modem with latest firmware on both. I can confirm same findings, modem reset fixes issue after 24 hours of speed decrease. I wish netgear would fix this issue. I can also see that single wan on gigabit shows download of 940 and wan aggregation brings it to 1190. So it does benefit the gigabit connection. Netgear, please fix. All my channels are locked and signals are perfect in cable modem GUI also.

Message 77 of 151

I have a NETGEAR CM1200 (firmware V1.02.02) modem, RAX200 (firmware V1.0.1.10_1.0.40) Router, Ubiquity US-XG-16 (firmware 4.0.69.10871) Managed Switch,  Comcast Xfinity 1gbps in San Francisco, CA, and can confirm I also have this issue.

With LACP-IEEE 802.3ad enabled, I get between 980Mbps-1150Mbps for 12-18hrs, then speeds drop to 28Mbps-32Mbps.

I began hard rebooting my router when it first arrived, and I thought the problem was with Comcast until I got to this thread. I then disabled LACP, et voila, 850Mbps-960Mpbs without reboots every 12hrs.

Rather annoyed, as the one of the primary reasons for purchasing the CM1200 and the RAX200 was the touted agreggation, both for line saturation and redudancy. I would really appreciate a fix here NETGEAR.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 78 of 151
Blake2423
Aspirant

I’m have the same issue. Bought the cm1200 and an ax8 router to leverage link aggregation to support future speed increases. Every 12-24hrs though speed drops to 25mbps. Really hoping there’s a fix for this soon.
Message 79 of 151
FURRYe38
Guru

If users don't want to wait for the ISP fix to come thru, users can try a CM1100. This model modem doesn't have this problem. 

@Blake2423 wrote:
I’m have the same issue. Bought the cm1200 and an ax8 router to leverage link aggregation to support future speed increases. Every 12-24hrs though speed drops to 25mbps. Really hoping there’s a fix for this soon.

Message 80 of 151
blew88
Aspirant

CM1200 modem, AX12-RAX120 router, 1Gbps download Comcast Bay Area setup here. Having the same issues as everyone else with Link Aggregation Control Protocol. Hopeful that Netgear support is working on this and will provide a fix in firmware.

Message 81 of 151
L3XANDR0
Aspirant

I upgraded to a WiFi 6 router with a 2.5 gbps port, and I am no longer seeing a slowdown. I wasn't using link aggregation. The router is the Asus Rapture AX11000.
Message 82 of 151
ray102382
Aspirant

Still no luck? I dont want to have to replace the modem. But at this point its not worth holding out. 

Message 83 of 151

Just disable link aggregation. 

Message 84 of 151
cursixx
Star

Zoom/Motorola is bring a 2.5gb interface modem to market this spring. MB8611 is going to be the model and I'm hold out for it. I would still like to see a sfp+ modem.
Message 85 of 151
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/cax80.aspx

@cursixx wrote:
Zoom/Motorola is bring a 2.5gb interface modem to market this spring. MB8611 is going to be the model and I'm hold out for it. I would still like to see a sfp+ modem.

Message 86 of 151
branchbiker
Apprentice

I replaced it with a CM1100 and noticed that while degradation is gone, when I enable LAG, the speed drops by about 200mbps (from 950 to 650).  Is that normal?  Will that be fixed?

Message 87 of 151
FURRYe38
Guru

@vkdelta 

@branchbiker wrote:

I replaced it with a CM1100 and noticed that while degradation is gone, when I enable LAG, the speed drops by about 200mbps (from 950 to 650).  Is that normal?  Will that be fixed?

Message 88 of 151
Dolvey
Tutor

I have used Netgear for all of my networking needs at home and in my business for more years than I can remember and never had any issues until I got into the CM1200 and RAX80. I went back and forth with tech support to no avail. One suggestion that worked for a while from my losing internet connection on slave devices was to set the DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 on the CM1200. I never could get port aggregation to function for more than 8 hours when the speeds would drop to 26MHZ. Then the 5G radio in the RAX80 started dropping out for reasons unknown, but by that time I was out of warranty and support window. If I ran a diagnostic the 5G would come back, but never stays reliable. I put AX transmitters on all of my computers, hoping that would help and it did greatly help exchange speed, but never solved the 5G problem. I am now running into devices losing contact with the internet on an individual basis randomly. I also noticed that if I had a laptop 6 ft away from the RAX80 the signal quality never got much above 50. But even now wired devices are again losing access to the internet although the internet light on the RAX80 shows connected. This has been the most aggrevating and frustrating journey I think that I have ever experienced with computers. I think NETGEAR is just not the same company with which I had become so reliant over the years and I can no longer trust their equipment and their techs are clueless now as to how to help in crisis. I depend on my computers having reliable access to the internet for my livelyhood and do not have time for this NETGEAR tech dance, so I am researching to find a more reliable setup and say bye bye to what had been a great partner in my computer work over many years. So any suggestions would be appreciated as NETGEAR is all that I have ever used.

Message 89 of 151
StrumerJohn
Tutor

Is this ever going to get fixed or did Netgear just give up on their top tier modem?

Message 90 of 151
shnushnu
Initiate

Holy cow, its end of april 2020 and i just got this and the $1000 wifi6 orbi setup and i'm seeing the exact same link aggregation throttling everyone has...  How is this not fixed as yet?

Message 91 of 151
DirtyPatriot
Guide

Same here this is shocking for a huge company like Netgear. they need to do some PR work here. 

Message 92 of 151
anthonypants
Tutor

I turned off

@anthonypants wrote:

In case people are still looking for hard proof, I've taken the liberty of recording a video of my own experience in ownership of a CM1200. I'm using Comcast Xfinity in Portland, Oregon, my CM1200 is running firmware V1.02.02, and it's connected via 802.3ad (LACP) link aggregation to a Netgate SG-4860 running 2.4.4-RELEASE-p3. My current speed tier is 175/5, but I was paying for Gigabit internet shortly after moving into this apartment and was seeing the same symptoms everyone here's been reporting: after about 24 hours of uptime, bandwidth is throttled to around 20Mbps up/down. Prior to this weekend, I thought that reboots were the best way to get service back, but resetting one of the ports in the LAGG group on my pfSense appliance also works -- I'd like to thank everyone who suggested this.

As you can see in this video, my modem's been online for around 5 days, and though it isn't shown, my pfSense appliance has been online for about 9 days. After bouncing one of the interfaces in the LAGG group, Comcast's own speed test (which you should assume is exaggerating the speed of my connection) reports that my speed increases ten-fold. The last interface reset I'd made to a port in the LAGG group was a little under an hour prior, so to put this another way: it takes less than one hour for speed to degrade by 90%. I believe the bandwidth degradation is caused by utilization, but whether that's raw packet throughput or connections being made, I couldn't tell you without more information, and modems are unfortunately locked down.

After having made this post last year, I spent some time troubleshooting and working on scripting a method of cycling the LACP member ports on my Netgate appliance, but in the end I gave up and turned off link aggregation on the modem. However, this morning, I've just received firmware version V2.02.05 (which isn't even listed on Netgear's own documentation), and because there's zero chance of finding out from Comcast or Netgear if this firmware resolves the LACP issue, I'll have to perform some testing and report back.

Message 93 of 151
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know your results.

Message 94 of 151
DirtyPatriot
Guide

I'm at work but will report back with my findings as well. I made a stink about this on the xfinity forums and others have as well.
Message 95 of 151
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, this seems to have been a on going problem. Hopefully it's fixed. 

Message 96 of 151
donawalt
Virtuoso

@anthonypants or anyone else testing, is there any news about how the test firmware V2.02.05 has worked out, is the link aggregation slowdown gone?

Message 97 of 151
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 98 of 151
StrumerJohn
Tutor

With the latest firmware it doesn't work at all for me now. It used to at least work before but then eventually would slowdown but now if I have it turned on my router can never get an IP Address. I don't think they care at all about this feature.
Message 99 of 151
Topology
Virtuoso

@StrumerJohn, a few questions…

1. What router (brand, model, and firmware version) do you have connected to the CM1200 modem?
  2. What company (e.g., Xfinity) is providing your internet service?
  3. What firmware version is installed on your CM1200 modem?

Thank you.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 100 of 151
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7