Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2000 Capped Download Speeds

Rotationz
Aspirant

CM2000 Capped Download Speeds

Hello,

I recently purchased the Nighthawk CM2000 and I'm having trouble on the download end. I'm paying for 1.2Gbps down and 50mbps up. Upload is fine at 50mpbs every test. However, my download speed varies at 197-200Mbps each test and locks on a number each time.

The modem is connected right where the Coax comes into my home. The modem is then connected via Cat6 to my Amplifi Router (capable of 1Gbps download). I know this because our previous router (CM1200) was in the exact same setup as the CM2000 and gave me 900+ download. It was giving me some latency problems which is why I bought a new one. The latency issue is now gone but the download speed is an issue.  The Amplifi router is set to throughput (it has a latency setting which caps me at 100Mbps but lower ping).

I'll attach snippets for more information. I see some errors in the event logs which I suspect could be telling to my issue, except I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to these things. 

All of our devices are connected to the router (some are connected to a network switch for more ports but my computer I'm testing speeds on via Ookla is directly connected to the router). A computer connected to the network switch (which is connected to the router) has gotten 900+ downloads speeds with the old CM1200 I had (and it even has a MOCA adapter setup and was getting 900+ which still amazes me lol). 

All Cat6 cable terminations were done by me (cause I'm the best hehe). So for now my first thought is to check all terminations and make sure connections are good. My networking link speeds on my PC currently show a 1000/1000 connection - which tells me that the cable connection is fine right? Otherwise it would say something else.

I haven't tried a direct PC connection speed test with the modem. I will test that and see if the grand number of 900+ pops up.

Last bit of info:

CM status: Green

Downstream Status - Green

Downstream Power Level - Green

Downstream SNR - Green

Upstream Status - Green

Upstream Power Level - Green

Please ask for any other info on my setup and I'll try to provide answers. It looks like I'm limited to 1 attachment so I'll provide the cable connections first and if I get a reply - remind me to attach an updated event log!

Thank you!

@plemans 

@michaelkenward 

@CrimpOn 

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: CM2000 Capped Download Speeds

@Rotationz wrote:

My download speed varies at 197-200Mbps each test and locks on a number each time.

The Amplifi router is set to throughput (it has a latency setting which caps me at 100Mbps but lower ping).

First, it appears inefficient to pay for 1.2GB when the Amplifi is capable of only 1GB. The ISP does not offer a "1GB" plan?

Second, download speed of 197-200 appears inconsistent with the latency setting "which caps me at 100Mbps".  Is that on the upload side only?

Does not appear that cable crimps are suspect.  The obvious clue to cable issues is when Ethernet speeds are just under 100Mbps, which indicates that the Ethernet adapters did not successfully auto-negotiate gigabit speed.

Which specific Amplify router is this?

If "just purchased" means "within the past 90 days", you are one of the lucky customers who can contact Netgear support directly.  The rest of us lost our opportunity to contact Netgear years ago.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Like you said, check the actual modem--->pc connection first. Its pointless to troubleshoot the modem if the router is the issue

Message 3 of 5
Rotationz
Aspirant

My ISP bumped my previous plan (I think it was 1Gbps?) to 1.2Gbps at no charge. This occurred after the purchase of the Amplifi Router.

"Second, download speed of 197-200 appears inconsistent with the latency setting "which caps me at 100Mbps".  Is that on the upload side only?"

- Sorry if I confused you. But when my router is set to throughput - which it is right now -  it will support 1Gbps+ internet speeds on all ports as it did with my previous CM1200 modem. I threw in some extra information to clarify that I don't have my router set to Latency as it would cap me at 100Mbps on the download side. Throughput and Latency are separate settings. After switching out the CM1200 with my new CM2000, that's when the download speeds just cap at ~200Mbps. No settings changed at all.

I am using the Amplifi Gamers Edition router. I just checked online and its specs show a 5.25Gbps speed capability? So I must be mistaken in my discussion opener that it only supports up to 1Gbps ethernet speeds.

Yes I purchased the modem within the last 90 days. I'll contact them also and see if I receive any help.

Regards.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The Amplify Gamers Edition specs include a typical Marketing BullS**t concoction of "speed" (i.e. 5.25Gps) which is created by adding up a bunch of theoretical WiFi link speeds as if "somehow" they could all be accomplished at the same time.  All manufacturers do this (including Netgear).  The specs clearly show that the port is a 1GB Ethernet port.

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-wi-fi-system-gamers-edition 

Thanks for explaining that the ISP increased the maximum download rate to 1.2GB at no charge.  Even though the router cannot possibly use 1.2GB, there is certainly no harm in them giving away something that the customer cannot use.

I agree with @plemans .  Connect a PC or laptop directly to the modem and measure the maximum download speed.  If the modem is providing 1Gbps, then the issue is not with the modem.  Something is going on with the router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7