Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM2000 LED and R8000

Eich8891
Aspirant

CM2000 LED and R8000

As it's probably been fairly established that the R8000 has a firmware issue with handling data packets. i.e. not reaching speeds past 300mbps in my particular case. I am now trying to figure out why the CM2000 multigig light does not flash the blue LED when connected to the router; it will only flash white. If I do a direct connection with modem to computer, the multigig will flash blue indicating the up/down of 2.5.

I'm starting to wonder if the router just refuses to allow the right amount of traffic and how to fix the issue is beyond me until Netgear gives is a working firmware. The problem is clearly what the router takes in and not what it is pushing out.

Any ideas how to fix both issues? One being the modem LED to push the 2.5 to the router and the other to get the router to take the higher speed. I currently have Xfinity/Comcast 800mbps so I expect my speeds to be about 600mbps and not 300mbps.
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats due to the R8000 only supports 1000Mpbs on it's WAN port.

• Blinking blue. The port is sending or receiving traffic at 2.5 Gbps.
• Solid white. A 1 Gbps connection is established.
• Blinking white. The port is sending or receiving traffic at 1 Gbps

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CM2000/CM2000_UM_EN.pdf

To seen Blue MultiGig LED on the CM modem, you need a router that supports 2.5Gb on it's WAN port. Something like Orbi RBR850, RAX200 or RAXE500. Any router with a 2.5Gb WAN port will connect to the CM modem at that rate. 

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 answered the 2.5g port versus the 1gig port. 

in terms of the routers speed, you should be able to hit 800mbps when wired (won't hit that wireless).

1. what firmware version are you on? 

2. have you used qos, access controls, traffic monitoring, or parental controls on your devcie? if so, factory reset it and reinstall it (not from a backup). during the install, make sure to leave those services disabled. 

Message 3 of 9
Eich8891
Aspirant

Yes thank you for answering the LED "issue." Rookie mistake, cannot believe I didn't even think about that. But now to the other issue:

1. Firmware 1.0.4.74
2. I had these disabled and did a factory reset last night. I left all of them disabled after the factory reset but it still was giving me speeds of 250-300mbps off LAN. I know it's not the cables as I got the speeds you would expect when I was directly connected to the CM2000.
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

How are you testing lan speed? 

what pc/laptop and what site? 

Using ipv4 or ipv6? (shouldn't matter but stranger things have happened)

Try downgrading the firmware 1 version. Then after its reset, only set it up with the basics. don't change anything. 

Test its speeds at that point. 

If it hits full speeds, then start changing things 1 at a time and see if anything impacts the speeds. 

Message 5 of 9
Eich8891
Aspirant

I'm testing off my desktop computer (That's the one that has 2.5Gbps port if I did just the modem to desktop). I just use the speedtest.net by ookla in conjunction with Xfinitys speed test but mostly ookla.

I believe it's ipv4.

I'll have to try going down to the 1st firmware version and see. So far the only "fix" is manually setting the QoS to 1000/1000 which QoS should be off for the speeds I'm supposed to get.
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

You don't have to go down to the 1st version. just 1 or 2 versions. 

you get full speeds if qos is enabled and manually set to 1000mbps? 

If so, leave it on. Its usually the reverse but if its giving you full speeds, it shouldn't be hampering anything then. 

Message 7 of 9
Eich8891
Aspirant

Yupp. QoS is set to 1000mbps and speed test was showing 650-700mbps.
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

If its working with the qos manually set, I'd leave it. 

the reason they usually recommend disabling qos at speeds greater than 250mbps is because it disables ctf which allows speeds up to gigabit. Otherwise with ctf disabled, it usually only hits 300mbps. but if its working with it manually set, then I'd leave it. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7