Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2000 Nighthawk Router Not Getting Full 1 Gig Speeds

jakeguy74
Follower

CM2000 Nighthawk Router Not Getting Full 1 Gig Speeds

Hello, 

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk CM2000 modem about a year ago to help leverage my 1 gig internet from Spectrum. 

Over the course of a year, I have noticed that my download speeds have been consistantly lower than the internet service that I pay for, which is 1 Gig internet. A handful of people have told me, "that's normal, you don't get the full internet speed that you pay for." I understand that to a point, as I also understand that multiple devices connected to the network will take a share out of the total 1 Gig, and therefore a particular device will only be getting a fraction of the total speed because of this. 

However, even with just my PC, the main device that I use, connected to the internet and all other devices switched off, I still get maybe 100 MBPS vs the total 1 Gig. And I find it very hard to believe that this should be normal.

Steps I've taken to solve the problem:

1. I've contacted Spectrum, my ISP, to ensure everything looks good on their end. They advised the 1 Gig signal is being sent to the modem and that nothing appears to be interrupting it between them and my modem. 
  2. While still on the phone with Spectrum, they recommended that I wire my PC directly to the modem and do a speedtest. I did so, rebooted the modem, and ran a speed test. Best I got was 98 MBPS. 
  3. I attempted to log directly into the modem but did not find any settings available for me to tinker with.

That was all I was able to do. In the meantime, Spectrum is sending a technician to see if everything is fine with the fiber optic wiring that they installed about a year ago.

Things to note: I am using CAT 5E cable, and have a networking card on my PC that is capable of running 2.5 GB internet at most. 

My question to the community:

Is there anything that I can do at home with the modem or anything else in general that would allow me to have access to the full 1 Gig internet that I should be getting? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: CM2000 Nighthawk Router Not Getting Full 1 Gig Speeds

A couple things to check. 

1. while hardwired into your modem, check if you're actually connecting at 1gig speeds. I've seen sketchy cables/port cause it to connect at fast ethernet speeds (10/100). This happens more than we'd like to see. so try different cables and try a different pc/laptop (or even port on it)

2. Got a screen snip of the cable connections page and the event logs?

3. is it consistently 94-98mbps? Or does it fluctuatate? if its consistent, it makes me suspect even more than its not connecting at a gigabit connection

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7