Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2000 modem all lights flashing

Johnnyringo
Aspirant

CM2000 modem all lights flashing

I saw a similar thread for the cm1000, but I haven't seen anything for the cm2000. All lights flashing, unable to connect in any way. I tried unplugging, using the reset button, using other power outlets (it's been connected to a surge protected battery backup kit for months with no issue). Looks like a major malfunction. Anyone else deal with this?
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: CM2000 modem all lights flashing

Only other thing I'd try would be this. 

disconnect the coax cable. 

while the cm2000 is powered on,push and hold reset for 30 seconds. 

shut off cm2000 while still holding reset for 30 seconds

turn the cm2000 back on while still holding reset for 30 seconds. 

Then connect the coax and reboot. 

If that doesn't work, it could be a hardware failure. click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. that should tell you when your warranty is through

Message 2 of 11
Winters86
Tutor

Any fix to this issue or was it just hardware failure, because I just changed plugging it into a new surge protector after an outage happened and this same problem has now occurred to me where no matter what I do in any style or fashion of cable play/resets/waiting/new outlet/disconnect coax/ orientation of all that mixed, it still shows all lights repeatedly flickering super fast.
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

The cm2000 is pretty new. it should still be within warranty. did you check it?

Message 4 of 11
Winters86
Tutor

Yeah I just replaced it as I was under best buy protection plan, new one worked like a charm. Note to self, surge protectors can obliterate your modem when turned on 🤣
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working!

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@Winters86 wrote:
Note to self, surge protectors can obliterate your modem when turned on 🤣

What do you mean by this? Surge protectors should not be causing damage to connected power supplies or devices...

Message 7 of 11
Winters86
Tutor

Well when I had an internet outage in the area, I took the free time to change out my small surge protector for a bigger one, I then plugged in my computer and all accessories into the new surge protector. Once I pressed the big button to turn on the new surge protector, it basically killed my modem but everything else was working perfectly fine so.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume the brand of surge protector you got may have been faulty. Surge protectors should not be causing problems or damage like that. Be sure you look into using good quality surge protectors. Cheaply built ones from China may not work well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 11
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@Winters86 do you still have your old modem? 

Message 10 of 11
Winters86
Tutor

Unfortunately I do not, I returned it to Best Buy and got a new one
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements