Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM2050V Provision Status stuck in: Establishing Security

hophead44
Guide

CM2050V Provision Status stuck in: Establishing Security

I had a netgear cable modem with xfinity that had voice and initernet. It worked fine and I just upgraded the cable modem and contacted xfinity support to provistion it. Internet access is working great but the voice/telephone is not: no dial tone. I have contacted them several times and they have tried to re-probision the modem. I'm hoping someone can help explain the MTA Provision Status: Establishing Security.

I understand that that is somewhere in the initializatoin sequence but I"m not sure what this status means.

Can someone explain (briefly of course) and whether it is a modem issue or an xfinity issue? As I've said, I've contacted xfinity and the "escalated". I can push harder of course but I want to make sure I have my own house in order.

Thank you again for any time you can spend on this with me

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
clarkyfun
Initiate

FYI...was able to get this resolved. There was a certain tech team that needed to set the modem up. Although I had gone through the setup previously, and my internet was working fine, the phone side had not been set to the new modem. It was a painful journey working through online chats and being transferred, but once I got connected to the right person it took less than 5 minutes. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
hophead44
Guide

I should have also mentioned that in the MTA Event Log:

TitleStatusEndpointName
2021-08-17 20:04:16DHCP ERROR:OFFER;REQUESTING;Option 122.3 contains invalid FQDN

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 3 of 11
hophead44
Guide

Thank you for the reply. The only think I haven't done is turned it off for >1 minute. I'll try that.

Message 4 of 11
clarkyfun
Initiate

Do you have an upate? I have the same issue. 

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@hophead44 wrote:

Thank you for the reply. The only think I haven't done is turned it off for >1 minute. I'll try that.

Message 6 of 11
hophead44
Guide

To Update:

No progress. The 1 minute full power cycle didn't help. I tried everything else.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is on xfinity/comcast side. Perhaps the setup they are sending do the modem but that is a total guess. I'm going to try 1 more time with xfinity. After that I'm going to discontinue the phone service with them. Long story and I've had many problems with their support online but that is not something for this forum.

I will update here when I try 1 last time. I will need maybe a free 4 hour block free to be on the phone with them as they escalate. No slam intended. That is how long it has sometimes taken me in the past. I just haven't had the free 4 hour block.

Message 7 of 11
clarkyfun
Initiate

FYI...was able to get this resolved. There was a certain tech team that needed to set the modem up. Although I had gone through the setup previously, and my internet was working fine, the phone side had not been set to the new modem. It was a painful journey working through online chats and being transferred, but once I got connected to the right person it took less than 5 minutes. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad its working.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
hophead44
Guide

I wish that has been my experience. I've been getting passed along and have tried multiple channels. Thank you for this response. I'm about to terminate my phone service with xfinity. It has been over a month and hours upon hours of "attempts" and escalations. They have opened another ticket (the third one) and they say they will get back to me but after a couple of weeks...no luck.

Thanks everyone.

I got the answer I think which is that it is a xfinity side setup/provisioning issue. It is not the modem.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope you can get the modem working right. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7