Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2050V modem upload speed

trialcritic
Guide

CM2050V modem upload speed

All documents of the CM2050V talk of the 2.5 Gbps download speed. I looked at the user manual and the data sheet. However, they don't mention the upload speed. This is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Can you point me to a reference for the upstream speed for this modem? I wish to know if it can handle midsplit speed increase.

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: CM2050V modem upload speed

Download the white paper linked at the bottom.  It is in black and white there.  There is a conflict between the chart and the text relative to maximum upload capacity.  I think you are safe either way.  Remember, the web browser search engine is your friend.  I have not seen a specification sheet on the CM2050V that states anything other than DOCSIS 3.1 compliant.

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/modems/docsis31/ 

Message 2 of 4
trialcritic
Guide

The white paper has the answer for the DOCSIS 3.1, not for CM2050V. If you see the max download speed for DOCSIS3.1, it is 10Gbps. However, CM2050V can do only 2.5Gbps. 

I am curious why the modem documents don't have the download speed.

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

I expect the CM2050V to serve owners well under the upcoming mid-split transition.

DOCSIS 3.1 lays out a maximum download capacity of 10 Gbps and a maximum upload capacity of 2 Gbps.  It is a miserable specification to work your way through.  There was an update released on August 19, 2022.

The hardware in the CM2050V will have a clear limiting down stream capacity with the 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port.  Historically the variety of Ethernet port hardware functions at 94% to 95% efficiency.  Up stream capacity will not be limited by the Ethernet port.  ISP configuration, supporting infrastructure, and what you are willing to pay for will do that.

The numbers are not something marketing can or wants to hype, once you have a DOCSIS 3.1 certified piece of hardware it is generally the same for all manufacturers.

I do not expect Comcast to support increased mid-split tiers with customer owned modems at the start.  They value the revenue stream from rented gateways.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7