Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM400 Pointed to wrong DNS

bgasper
Aspirant

CM400 Pointed to wrong DNS

Hello, 

I have a CM400 Cable modem and live in the Lancaster PA area. Recently my ISP sent out a notice that they were doing some changes to the internet (very vague discription I know, but that's all I got) and now my modem seems to think we are located in Springfield MA. 

This is manifesting in that when I want to watch my local news channel via HULU, it's showing my local stations in Springfield MA, and not my local station here in Lancaster. This may seem like a first world problem, I know, but it's REALLY annoying as local news is the only news we really watch. 

Anyways.....

After an hour on the phone with Comcast it doesn't seem to be a problem with the internet coming into the house. The best I can tell is that for some reason my CM400 is not pointed at the wrong local DNS server. However, when logged into the modem I see no option to be able to point it to a different DNS. 

Comcast was kind enough to give me the DNS IP that it's supposed to be pointing to (main and backup). 

Am I wrong that this is a modem problem? Should I be looking somewhere else? Any help would be great apprciated. 

To anyone else asking I have no VPN's on the system. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Model: CM400-1AZNAS|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you directly connected to the CM modem or is there a wifi router in between the CM modem and your PC? 

The CM modem doesn't have any router so any DNS issues will be need to looked at by the ISP or at the wifi router thats connected to the CM modem. 

Message 2 of 4
bgasper
Aspirant

Hello @FURRYe38 

Thanks for the reply on a sunday evening!!! 

For starters, my CM400 is connected directly to the incoming coax from the street. Like many out there I bought the CM400 to save some $ renting the equimpment from our evil overlords, Comcast. 

A brief overview of my system: Coax from the street connected to my CM400; the CM400 has a single ethernet out port which is hardwired to an ASUS router. The ASUS has wifi but I don't use it really. The primary purpose of keeping the ASUS is that is has a 5 port switch on the back. Out of one of the ports, I have a hardline that goes to a Google wi-fi mesh system. The first router in the MESH system has a single ethernet port out which I use to connect to an apple TV (latest version) which is how I access my streaming. I have another apple TV in the house which I use the google wifi to connect to streaming. BOTH have the same symptoms of showing local news NOT from where I am. 

I completely understand that this is all pretty convoluted and messy; but it worked up until about 5 days ago. I also completely understand the irony in calling Comcast our evil overlords AND using a google wi-fi mesh.....

Perhaps I should ask a more broad question: I live in Lancaster PA, I'm only seeing news from Springfield MA, how to I get to see my local channels via streaming? 

I will try to hard line connect to the CM in the mean time and see if there are any other settings I can adjust. 

The comcast person I spoke to told me that I needed to point my DNS to 75.75.75.75 as the main with a backup of 75.75.76.73

Thanks @FURRYe38 

Ben

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask your ISP about. 

Also have you have two router systems in place(ASUS and Google), this could cause problems as well. One router is recommended. Try removing the ASUS router and connect just the Google only. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7