Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM500 Modem - ISP kicked off due to duplicate MAC

LordPawPaw
Aspirant

CM500 Modem - ISP kicked off due to duplicate MAC

I bought my modem around July and have been using it with no problem. Other day it was momentarily unplugged as we moved furniture (not the first time). Later that day internet stopped working. XFinity says it’s because someone in a different part of the country has the same MAC address.

NetGear told me this is not possible. I 3-way called NetGear and XFinity support. Could not get it fixed. Dealt with ISP for many hours and different people. It is clear they cannot add our modem as the MAC is being used by someone else. Modem bought at Fry’s - legit retailer. They won’t accept return after 30 days.

I need a refund or something from NetGear. Support page seems to just kick me to the forums. Whole support experience is pretty awful. How do I get a refund for this product I can’t use?
Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: CM500 Modem - ISP kicked off due to duplicate MAC

> [...] XFinity says it's because someone in a different part of the
> country has the same MAC address.
>
> NetGear told me this is not possible. [...]

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1664467

Message 2 of 4
LordPawPaw
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, glad to know there’s some way to navigate the maze that is NetGear support and get help. Unfortunately it looks like I can’t do anything while out of the country (this happened day before travel).

Don’t have proof of purchase on me and can’t afford to spend an hour on the phone. Is there any email or chat support? Support experience is really frustrating.
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes there is email support.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos