Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM500 Modem gets half speed when connected to router but full speed when connected to PC

tonisama
Tutor

CM500 Modem gets half speed when connected to router but full speed when connected to PC

I recently purchased a used CM500 to replace a Mediacom-provided unit that we rented.  We subscribe to 100/10 internet service and have always gotten full speeds.

The CM500 was provisioned and I tested it connected directly to my PC and got the full 100/10 that we pay for.  However, upon connecting it to my existing router, the speed drops to 50/10 across all wired and wireless devices including the same PC.  I double checked all the router settings and even did a factory reset.  There is no bandwidth or QoS enabled.

I then went back to our Mediacom-rented modem was able to get the full 100/10 through this same router.  This leads me to believe that it's the modem that's causing the issue, but I have no idea why the router would kill half the bandwidth but only when using a router.

There have been a few people on the internet who reported similar issues with other brands/products and the solution seemed to always be get a new modem. There are very few settings on the CM500 so there's really nothing I can play to get it working properly.  Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on why this would be the case?

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM500 Modem gets half speed when connected to router but full speed when connected to PC

I'd try a different modem. Maybe a CM600/700 or CM1000 if these are supported by your ISP. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM500 Modem gets half speed when connected to router but full speed when connected to PC

Did you power OFF both CM modem and router for 1 minute then back ON with the modem first then router? 

What is the mfr and model# of the router your using? 

Message 2 of 6
tonisama
Tutor

I just tried and it had no effect. 

The one that I use currently is a TP-Link Archer A6 AC1200.  I also have an old Netgear WNDR3700v2 N600 which I just tried and it also has the same issue.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try a different modem. Maybe a CM600/700 or CM1000 if these are supported by your ISP. 

Message 4 of 6
tonisama
Tutor

Indeed.  I already ordered a replacement.  I'll report back when it's up and running.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7