Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM500 Slow download speed

keith78
Aspirant

CM500 Slow download speed

I have the Xfinity 400 Mbps package and when I connect my computer directly to the modem, I'm only getting between 60-90 Mbps download speed.  I called Xfinity customer service last night and they checked everything, ran some tests and said the problem isn't on their end and that I need to contact the maker of the modem.  So, here I am. 

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM500 Slow download speed

What wired device do you have connected to the CM modem that your speed testing with?

What is the mfr and model# of the ethernet adapter in your PC? 

What speed testing apps are you testing with? 

Try a different wired PC to compare? 

Message 2 of 8
keith78
Aspirant

I'm using my laptop.  It's a HP 17-x114dx.

I don't know what my ethernet adapter is.  Not sure how to find that out. 

I used the speed test on the Xfinity website and the speedtest.net. 

I can try my wife's laptop and see if it's any different.  

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Look at the network properties in Windows for the brand and model of the adapter used on the wifi and ethernet adapter. It maybe Intel. Ensure the drivers for these are up to date. 

Message 4 of 8
keith78
Aspirant

It's a "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller".  I went and updated the driver.  No change in speed yet. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What connection rate are you seeing with the PC connected directly to the modem?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Realtek-PCIe-FE-Family-Controller-only-100...

Message 6 of 8
keith78
Aspirant

I'm getting about 90 Mbps.  If I'm reading that post correctly, the most I can get is 100 Mbps? 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok the CM supports a 1000Mpbs rate port. 

Can you try a different adapter or different PC with a different ethernet adapter connected to the CM500? 

Swap LAN cables as well. CAT6 is recommended. If nothign will connect to the modem at 1000Mpbs, possible this modem is faulty. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7