Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM500V - 450+ Mbps download speeds on Xfinity (Philadelphia area)

riggor9999
Aspirant

CM500V - 450+ Mbps download speeds on Xfinity (Philadelphia area)

I just got and tested a CM500V. I have Xfinity 400/10 service.  I am happy to to tell you I am getting 450+ Mbps download speeds in the Philadelphia area. 

I don't understand why ... since Xfinity states it does not support this modem for my speed tier, plus every review I read stated that the CM500V is for 300 Mbps service (though some site sites said it "could" reach 400 Mbps).  

I got it for $90 new off Amazon special.  If it did not work I was going to return it - but it seems to work just fine both for data and voice.

Anyone have insights why the CM500V is getting 450+ Mbps download speeds on Xfinity/ When Xfinity says it won't? and mose reviews says it won't?

I am not complaining.  I just need to understand why I am getting those speeds, and if they will go away?

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

they might have provisioned your device by mistake. It is not supposed to work for 400 Mbps.

Message 2 of 4
riggor9999
Aspirant

Can you elaborate?  The modem is advertised / tech specs for 680 Mbps downloads.  Why would the download speed be limited to 300 Mbps?

I called Netgear tech support before I purchased the modem - tyring to reconcile the 300 Mbps statements from Xfinity and other various review web sites, versus the Netgear published specs.  He told me the modem is capable of 680 Mbps download - period. No concerns.

I don't want to find out 6 months from now - when I can no longer return the modem - that there is a mistake and I get throttled down to 300 Mbps.

Message 3 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

modem is capable for 680 Mbps PHY rate. but that does not mean Comcast will provision it. comcast is the one that will be limiting speeds to 300Mbps. 

you can check compatablity for voice devices for each service tier on this portal.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com

you will see that minimum for 24x8 is required for 400 Mbps service. Thats why I am surprised how they provisioned your device for 400+ Mbps service.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7