Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM500V Connection issues

Treviart
Tutor

CM500V Connection issues

I have Xfinity, with a reasonble internet connection, and no major issues, but one. I will be surfing on my phone, laptop, etc., and then it will stop for a moment. It will take a moment or two before it's up and running again. I have to either wait for it to pick up again, or I can turn off my wifi from my laptop/phone and turn it back on, which allows me to go back to what I was doing. Any reasons as to why that would occur?

Model: CM500V|Cable Modem for Internet & Voice–DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

so you put that you have the cm500v which is a modem/voice device. Not a router. 

What router are you using? 

What makes you think its the modem thats causing issues?

Message 2 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

I have a linksys. Not at home, so can’t grab the model #. Do some not play well together?
Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

I didn't say that. But usually modems are a set and forget. Unless they're having signal problems, they just work. Usually if its something thats fixed but shutting off your wifi and turning it back on (on your device) it tends to be a router issue thats causing it. Not always which is why I ask "what makes you think its your modem?"

Has there been issues with it before?

If you hardwire into your  modem and run a device for a while, do you get the drops?

If you take a screen snip of your modem connections page, what does it show?

Message 4 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

The issue started when I changed modems from the Xfinity-issued modem to the current modem. The connection will temporarily drop. As for the modem connections page, what would I look for?
Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

take a screen snip of the full page. This helps us to determine if your signal strengths are where they should be. Some modems have a little more leeway than others and you could have been borderline on your strength and the switch was enough to cause issues. 

here's a super basic write up of what to look at.

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cable-modem-signal-levels-are-considered-good-78

What was your old modem?

have you tried removing any splitters/amplifiers/90 degree elbows from your line?

have you checked your cables? Cheap cables, poor connections, damaged (kinked) wires, moisture in the line can all cause intermittent issues. 

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality up to the modem.

Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

@Treviart wrote:

I have Xfinity, with a reasonble internet connection, and no major issues, but one. I will be surfing on my phone, laptop, etc., and then it will stop for a moment. It will take a moment or two before it's up and running again. I have to either wait for it to pick up again, or I can turn off my wifi from my laptop/phone and turn it back on, which allows me to go back to what I was doing. Any reasons as to why that would occur?

Message 7 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

Here are the stats from the modem just a little while ago. 

Message 8 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

Modem pic 2

Message 9 of 17
plemans
Guru

Your modem is technically within spec but it could be a bit better on downstream power levels. You don't have any uncorrectables though. I'd try directly wiring into the modem with a pc and seeing if it drops. If it doesn't, I'd be looking at the router. 

Message 10 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

And out of curiosity, what if it does end up correcting itself?  Would there be ome way to take care of the issue?

Message 11 of 17
plemans
Guru

@Treviart wrote:

And out of curiosity, what if it does end up correcting itself?  Would there be ome way to take care of the issue?

Not sure what you mean by "what if it does end up correcting itself? Would there by ome way to take care of the issue?"

Signal stregth can vary a little based on temperature but for the most part ,it isn't going to correct itself without changes. These changes can be:

1. removing splitters from the line (each splitter reduces signal strength)

2. removing any amplifiers as if you're amplifiying a crappy signal it only makes it worse

3. removing any 90 degree elbows as these can have issues

4. Reducing the length of your coax cable. 50ft of cable can lower the signal quite significantly and 100ft run can drop the signal almost a 3rd. You can try moving the modem to right where it enters the house

5. You can look at a docsis 3.1 upgrade. When your speeds aren't full gigabit, they have the capacity to better provide capability. If you're xfinity modem was 3.1 and the signal is boarderline, it might be why dropping down to docsis 3.0 caused the issues. 

Again, I'd look at both the modem and router. If resetting your wifi on your device (not router) fixes the issue, maybe the linksys did a firmware update around the same time and caused issues. Or maybe someone added in a router in your area thats interfering with your wifi.Thats why I keep recommending you to hardwire something to the modem and run it and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, its the router. If it does, then further investigate the modem. its an easy thing to check to determine which is causing the issue. 

Message 12 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

I have none of these issues (90 degree elbows, splitters, amplifiers, long cable cords). So if I were to buy a new router, should I stick with netgear to match my modem, or what brand should I look at?
Message 13 of 17
plemans
Guru

which linksys do you have?

I'd try troubleshooting first to confirm if it is the router or if its the modem. It might even be the device. 

Message 14 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

I hardwired my laptop to the router to check how it ran. No change. Any other suggestions?
Message 15 of 17
plemans
Guru

Hard wire it to your modem. If the router is the problem, hard wiring to the router doesn't isolate the modem.
Message 16 of 17
Treviart
Tutor

I hard-wired it to the modem.  Pretty much the same stats I had before with the modem.  No major changes.  Any other suggestions?

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7