Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM600 and RCN stopped working

wzee
Aspirant

CM600 and RCN stopped working

CM600 cable modem suddenly stopped working with RCN.

downlink light - solid yellow

uplink light - blinking yellow

I looked up the modem logs and says "no ranging response received - T3..."

Wanted to know if I am having an issue with the modem itself or an issue somewhere between modem and RCN?

Thanks in advance.

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CM600 and RCN stopped working

I'd say something is wonky. its a technical term. 🙂 

Reason I say that is that the cm600 is a 24x8 channel modem. You've only got one channel showing but even the one channel's power is way out of spec. You're power is way to low, your snr is low, and its not locking in with your provider. You said your isp is going to come check your line? That's what I'd highly recommend with your connections page. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I would start by checking all your connections. Remove any splitters, amplifiers, 90 degree elbows, cables with kinks, cheap connectors, or extended runs. many times a drop in signal strength causes connections issues. 

do you have a screen shot/snip of your connections page on your modem? that can tell us a lot. 

Also check with your isp. they can/should be able to see the connections to the modem. 

Message 2 of 8
wzee
Aspirant

Wow thanks for the quick reply.

I have no splitters, amplifiers or elbows... I live in an appartment building and the coax runs into the apartment through the walls also in the walls I connected the building in coming coax with a simple f/f coax coupler so that I can run coax to my networking closet. These coax/coupler/coax has not been toched for 10 years, that could be issue but I doubt it.

I am thinking that the modem hardware just failed or something changed with RCN or something change/failed between RCN and up to where it connects to the other end of the coax that goes into my apartment.

Unforunately I am not at home (plus don't have internet) so cannot provide any screen shots at the moment.

Spoke with ISP already, they had me do the standard reboot, unplug power, unplug coax cable. They also said they sent something (signals) to my modem but I believe they could not see my modem and is sending a tech out to investigate further.

I am more curious based on what I have described so far, is it possible that the modem is bad?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its always possible the modem has died/dying.

the only thing that makes me question it is that you're able to log into it to view the modem logs. 

Thats why I usually like to check signal strength. It might have been fine for 10 years and then a tech who was hooking up someone else, disconnected your line, messed with your line, or signal decreased enough to cause yours to drop. 

something else you could check is your power adapter. Maybe it went bad but has enough juice to power it up but not under load. Just make sure if you swap one it that the voltage needs to be the same and at least the same amperage. 

When you described the problem, you put the led's were yellow. So those leds are either amber (red), green, or off.  Could it be amber that you're seeing?

Message 4 of 8
wzee
Aspirant

I said yellow so yeah it could be amber but definitely not red or green.

Also was able to get these snippets...

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd say something is wonky. its a technical term. 🙂 

Reason I say that is that the cm600 is a 24x8 channel modem. You've only got one channel showing but even the one channel's power is way out of spec. You're power is way to low, your snr is low, and its not locking in with your provider. You said your isp is going to come check your line? That's what I'd highly recommend with your connections page. 

Message 6 of 8
wzee
Aspirant

Thanks for your insight.
Yeah, tech is coming out tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out.
Also I was able to pickup an ISP modem to test if issue was with my CM600 and their modem did not work so my CM600 s/b fine.
Message 7 of 8
wzee
Aspirant

Long story short, issue was a failed connector in the building's communication closet.

Uncertain if connector deteriorated and/or another ISP technician distrupted my connection in the closet.

RCN technician replace the connector and all is good.

Thanks for you input.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7