Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM600 and Suddenlink

marshallll
Aspirant

CM600 and Suddenlink

I recently upgraded from an Arris SB6190 afte learning about the puma 6 issues while dealing with some inconsistent connectivity with my cable internet. Those connectivity issues resolved themselves by the time the CM600 showed up, but i gave it a shot to alleviate the latency issues I had with the SB6190. 

Now, my download speeds are stuck at around 20Mbps with the CM600. I pay for 400Mbps. I've checked all connections from the drop to the house. Theres a 4 way splitter from the drop that the cable modem line is connected to. This coax cable is RG6 and relatively recent. 

I DO get the advertised 400Mbps when I swap the CM600 for my older SB6190, but I would ideally like to keep this CM600 since it's got a broadcom chip

I've attached my modem status with signal levels. Seems to me that they're on the low side. I'm really scratching my head with this one. Considering running the cable line off the drop with a two way, then adding a three way to deal with the TV lines and hoping that increases the signal levels enough for the CM600 to work at 400Mbps. But I also don't want to do all of that if my modem is just faulty to begin with. 

I will try running the modem directly off the drop tomorrow to see if that helped. In the mean time, anyone got any ideas?

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
marshallll
Aspirant

Re: CM600 and Suddenlink

turns out the initial Suddenlink rep did not properly provision the CM600 with the 400mbps speed under my plan. 

I am getting 400mbps now. Thanks for your help guys! I've learned a lot

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this modem officially supported by your ISP? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Be sure you test with a wired PC connected directly to the modem, remove any wifi routers in between.

The modem is supporting of near 900Mbps on the down. However some ISPs may not fully support some older modems. 

The CM1000, 1100 and 1200 are all Broadcom. 

@marshallll wrote:

I recently upgraded from an Arris SB6190 afte learning about the puma 6 issues while dealing with some inconsistent connectivity with my cable internet. Those connectivity issues resolved themselves by the time the CM600 showed up, but i gave it a shot to alleviate the latency issues I had with the SB6190. 

Now, my download speeds are stuck at around 20Mbps with the CM600. I pay for 400Mbps. I've checked all connections from the drop to the house. Theres a 4 way splitter from the drop that the cable modem line is connected to. This coax cable is RG6 and relatively recent. 

I DO get the advertised 400Mbps when I swap the CM600 for my older SB6190, but I would ideally like to keep this CM600 since it's got a broadcom chip

I've attached my modem status with signal levels. Seems to me that they're on the low side. I'm really scratching my head with this one. Considering running the cable line off the drop with a two way, then adding a three way to deal with the TV lines and hoping that increases the signal levels enough for the CM600 to work at 400Mbps. But I also don't want to do all of that if my modem is just faulty to begin with. 

I will try running the modem directly off the drop tomorrow to see if that helped. In the mean time, anyone got any ideas?

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

You're power levels are low. The ideal range is -7dbmv to 7dbmv. Minimum acceptable ranges are -8/10 dbmv to +8/10 dbmv. some devices will work up to -15dbmv to +dbmv but can have issues/drops. 

I'd try pulling that 4x splitter out of the line. 

If you have to split, you should do a dual splitter with one line going to the modem and the other going to another splitter if needed for tv's. That way the modem is still getting the signal with only a slight reduction. 

Also check for extended runs, kinked coax, loose connections, etc. this can cause issues to.

if you continue to have issues, have suddenlink check your line as your power levels are to low. 

Message 3 of 11
marshallll
Aspirant

many people use the CM600 with my ISP=suddenlink with no issues whatsoever. In fact, it seems to be the most frequently recommended one. No one has confirmed reliable use with a CM1000 or greater. 

I plugged the modem directly into the drop at the demarc today. This helped the signal levels tremendously. Will be switching the current four way to a two-way into a three-way . BUT this did not help the speeds. If anything, I was getting less than the typical 20mbps i had been getting at the end of the modem's RG6 run.

I'm thinking this confirms that either this particular modem is faulty or my ISP has not properly configured my modem. Will be giving them a call later today. If that does not solve anything, I will be getting a replacement CM600 and CM500 and trying those. 

Below are the signal levels of the CM600 plugged directly into the drop 

https://i.imgur.com/Dq7lSQo.png
https://i.imgur.com/XXQpXpR.png

Here are the signal levels of the Arris SB6190, plugged in where the modem normally lives in the house. 

https://i.imgur.com/i5JlwEw.png
https://i.imgur.com/rpyHzTb.png

Here is the speedtest of the Arris at its normal location, getting exactly 400mbps
https://i.imgur.com/RZRDAu3.png

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the ISP sets the modem correctly and it doesn't work, modem could be faulty. Hopefully the ISP can help check all this.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Like @FURRYe38 said, I'd check with the ISP on provisioning. 

Its also a bit of going from a 32x8 (arris) modem to a 24x8 (netgear) modem.

that being said, you should hit faster than you are on the CM600. 

You said the connectivity issues with the arris had fixed themselves? As much as I like netgear products, arris makes a pretty decent modem. 

since you've got both devices, you could test them using dslreports modem testing. It works pretty well for showing issues. They have a specific puma6 test to check devices and see if firmware fixes helped. 

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

Message 6 of 11
marshallll
Aspirant

The DSL report test confirms this SB6190 has the puma 6 latency issue. we've been having the intermittent connectivity issue with it since we got it. But 400mbps with periodic connectivity issues is almost better than 20mbps. 

What specifically should I be asking suddenlink when I get them on the phone? I want to be as clear with them as possible, since a lot of their phone support staff seem to be not the most proficient at their jobs. 

We also have a bear fence, whose wire I just noticed is run parallel to the coaxial cable. Turning the bear fence off increases the signal level by about .1 dB so it doesn't appear like it's a major issue, but I will also re-run the coax cable at least 12 inches away from that wire just to be safe. The coax cable is quad shielded but better safe than sorry. 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

@marshallll wrote:

What specifically should I be asking suddenlink when I get them on the phone? I want to be as clear with them as possible, since a lot of their phone support staff seem to be not the most proficient at their jobs. 

I would see if they could re-provision it. I've had the wrong provisioning sent to a modem before. if they reprovision and you're still getting the slowed speeds, I'd open a support case/rma case with netgear. maybe it is a bad modem. You get free 90 days of support from purchase date. 

Just don't google the # though, you'll get scam/con sites.

click mynetgear at the top, register an account and your device, and use that route to contact support. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax abling. 

Have them make sure the FW on the CM600 is up to date. Some ISPs won't update FW on user owned modems. Talk to them about this. 

Have them check the signals on the line up to the modem. Might have a tech come onsite if possible. 

Try another CM600 modem to see if this happens with another modem. Possible that currnet modem could be faulty. 

Message 9 of 11
marshallll
Aspirant

turns out the initial Suddenlink rep did not properly provision the CM600 with the 400mbps speed under my plan. 

I am getting 400mbps now. Thanks for your help guys! I've learned a lot

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working properly! Let us know if you have further issues.
If you mark it as solved, it'll help the next person with this issue.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7