Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM600 error counts still zero after three days.

bodosom
Aspirant

CM600 error counts still zero after three days.

I've had a CM600 on-line for 3 days and the downstream error counts are still zero.  Is this a firmware issue or a hardware fault or did my line become amazingly error free for the last few days?

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello bodosom

are you having any type of issues when on the internet?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 15
bodosom
Aspirant

The error counts stayed at zero so I switched to another modem which is reporting errors.  Of course I don't know if that's because the CM600 was better or broken.

Message 3 of 15
Jim769
Luminary

I have had my CM600 for over a month and it has only reported correctable/uncorrectable errors one time this is very unusual for my connection or any connection for that matter. The one time it did report was due to Comcast working near by. Now here is the weird part. It only showed errors on channels 1-16 channels 17-24 showed zero errors. Others and myself have concluded the only way this could happen is if the 600 is locking on all 24 channels but is only using 16 of them. Not sure what to think about this modem. May go back to my 6183. 

Message 4 of 15
VE6CGX
Master

Are complaining about zero error count? You don't like good line qulity. Errors occuring on data network is common thing. If there is any other issues what is the worry? Don't knock the wood!, LOL...

Message 5 of 15
bodosom
Aspirant

@VE6CGX wrote:

Are complaining about zero error count?

You completely miss the point.

Message 6 of 15
Jim769
Luminary

Yes your not understanding of course we all like a clean network the point is the CM-600 does not report errors at all even unplugging the coax from the modem for 10 minutes shows 0 errors this is not right. I would rather have a modem that showed me issues then one that hides them from the user and shows nothing. It appears the system log does work as i have had a few T-3 timeouts that is normal arounf here. But as far as correctable/uncorrectable code words go zip notta only a few one time after a major outage. 

Message 7 of 15
VE6CGX
Master

Please, when you start a thread be sure to make yourself clear what you are talking about. Your original post did not show that.

Too many and much communication problems every where, Sigh!  I am retired now. When I was working miscommunication used to

cause so muchwasted  time. Some times I had to travel overseas, or far out-reach places to find that out upsetting me often. I

worked in high level tech support business for almost half a century....Or error logging(syslog) is disabled?

Message 8 of 15
Jim769
Luminary

Sorry if there was confustion i didn't start the thread i found it doing a search for CM-600 issues.  : - ) 

Message 9 of 15
bodosom
Aspirant

@VE6CGX wrote:

Please, when you start a thread be sure to make yourself clear what you are talking about. Your original post did not show that.

I think I was clear.

A reminder of the content in the first post:

"I've had a CM600 on-line for 3 days and the downstream error counts are still zero.  Is this a firmware issue or a hardware fault or did my line become amazingly error free for the last few days?"

Note the: "did my line become amazingly error free...?"

Only Netgear can provide a definitive answer however I've hear other reports of very low/zero errors with the CM600.  I did have a short interval where I accumulated a few hundred errors but in the 18 days since the last reboot the modem reports exactly one correctable error.

Message 10 of 15
Jim769
Luminary

All i can say is Netgear firmware sucks and they are very slow to fix any thing. This holds true with all there products. From what i have read these modems CM-600 and the 400,500 have a sercurity issue that has still not been patched for close to 6 months or longer. I returned my CM-600 today and put my SB-6183 back in line. The CM-600 was the LAST product i will ever spend my money on if Netgear is on the lable. 

Message 11 of 15
bodosom
Aspirant

@Jim769 wrote:

From what i have read these modems CM-600 and the 400,500 have a sercurity issue that has still not been patched for close to 6 months or longer. I returned my CM-600 today and put my SB-6183 back in line.

The security bulletin is too vague to be useful however most SB models from the last few years (since 2009)  have similar security issues.  Since it's up to the cable operator to push the fix it doesn't matter when Netgear/Arris/Zoom provides a patch to the operator.  If you're with Time Warner Cable the SB-6183 has multiple fixes waiting -- the other operators mostly just have the last security patch to push.

Message 12 of 15
Jim769
Luminary

Arris modems model 6121,6141.6183,6190 have all had new firmware twice in the last year. As of right now there are no security issues with the mentioned Arris modems what so ever. The same can not be said for Netgear. From what i have been told by comcast insiders is Netgear has not even submitted a new firmware at least for the CM-600. So that means if Netgear submitted today it could still take a month or longer before cocmast even strats a soak for it let alone the mass release. Not good folks.. 

Message 13 of 15
Jim769
Luminary

@Jim769 wrote:

Arris modems model 6121,6141.6183,6190 have all had new firmware twice in the last year. As of right now there are no security issues with the mentioned Arris modems what so ever. The same can not be said for Netgear. From what i have been told by comcast insiders is Netgear has not even submitted a new firmware at least for the CM-600. So that means if Netgear submitted today it could still take a month or longer before cocmast even strats a soak for it let alone the mass release. Not good folks.. 

Want to add this is on the Comcast network can't speak for other ISP's and there firmware practices.

Message 14 of 15
bodosom
Aspirant

@Jim769 wrote:

Arris modems model 6121,6141.6183,6190 have all had new firmware twice in the last year. As of right now there are no security issues with the mentioned Arris modems what so ever.

Except of course as you note later updates depend on the operators. So there are outstanding issues "what so ever".

However the proof of concept for the kind "security" problem noted in the Netgear posting requires social engineering to work.  Most devices that require a login like the CM600 or the SB-6190 are not subject the HTML attacks against devices that don't require a login.  In the alert I saw  Netgear did not provide enough information to include devices that come with a changeable password in the alert.  Was there another?

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7