Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM600 firmware not upgraded by Time Warner Cable

TonyinCNY
Star

CM600 firmware not upgraded by Time Warner Cable

I wanted to upgrade the existing firmware (V1.01.05) of my cable modem (CM600).  Netgear website says that for Time Warner Cable (TWC)  I should have V1.01.12 and that I cannot upgrade manually.  I have to go to my ISP provider to upgrade the firmware.  So, I went to TWO local TWC offices and both said they don't upgrade the firmware and I should contact Netgear.  I was also given a phone number for TWC technical support (1-877-313-2337) and they said the same thing - they don't upgrade Netgear firmware and I should contact Netgear for firmware updates.  So, what do I do?

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 34
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TonyinCNY

It is pushed out by the ISP I would call tech support and ask for the higher modem support typically they call it L3 they will know more about this.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

I got TWO phone numbers to call for help from the TWO local TWC offices.  I got NO HELP from each of the offices and NO HELP from each of the two phone numbers I called.  So, I don't know what "magic" technical support numbers you may have but the two technical support numbers I called were manned by idiots who wouldn't know a modem from a router.

Message 3 of 34
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TonyinCNY

I do not have a specific number you will have to ask the customer service rep to transfer you to the Internet support experts.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 34
sponger85
Guide

I just spoke with TWC support online and was also told to contact Netgear as well.

TWC told me that they do not upgrade customer owned modems as they cannot accees customer owned modems to update them. Is that true?

To my knowledge, TWC has never offered the CM600 as a leased modem only an approved modem for customers to buy. If that is true, who is the this update for if we can not use it?

If Netgear states to contact the ISP, and the ISP says to contact Netgear what is the solution?  Is it possible for Netgear and TWC to speak to each other and figure out a solution for customers who own their modems?

Message 5 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

Hi Sponger -

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as me.  But, it does give me some satisfaction that I'm not the only one who fell into this Netgear-TWC quagmire.  I don't know why TWC would say they can't update our modems because they can't access them.  If they can't send a signal down the line to update the firmware then I would be more than happy to bring my modem into any TWC office for a hands-on update.  Seems like two companies throwing a lot of B.S.  That's why I say DO NOT BUY.  If Netgear will not update their equipment and their directions to get updated from our ISP doesn't work then why buy or use Netgear equipment?

Message 6 of 34
sponger85
Guide

I did actually talk to "advanced support" on the phone yesterday, a very nice rep I might add. The rep asked the reasons why I wanted to update the modem and I stressed to her the importance of keeping a modem upgraded for security and performance, also offering to give TWC temporary access to my modem's admin page to perform the upgrade if necessary. She asked if I was having issues with the modem and I did mention to her that every once in a while the modem would lose signal and have to be rebooted. At this point I am waiting to hear back, but I figured I would not get a reply until the work week. 

Message 7 of 34
sponger85
Guide

One more point I made to the TWC (now Spectrum I guess) if you call advanced support ... 

I mentioned to the rep that to my knowledge, the Netgear CM600 was never offered as a leased modem (maybe the Netgear Mod can confirm this). If TWC claims the CM600 is a supported modem and Netgear only supplies the firmware to the ISP, then why can they not push the upgraded firmware to a supported modem? There obviously is a reason why firmware is only provided to the ISP and not the end user.

Message 8 of 34
revolultrablue
Aspirant

I'm having similair issues. I called and the teir 3 tech seemed to not be able to help me. I've been reseting my modem often hoping it will update.

Message 9 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

Hi Sponger - you're right about the signal dropping out.  That's what got me started with all this "updating" nonsense.  At first, I updated my Intel, Microsoft and Dell drivers and that helped a lot in stopping the dropouts.  But, I'm still having problems and wanted to finish the project by updating my new store-bought modem.  That's when I found out about the firmware updating nightmare.  Keep posting.  You have a keener mind than I and you expressed yourself and the problem in a concise and clear manner.  You've also made it to Tech Support which no one else has managed to do.

Message 10 of 34
sponger85
Guide

I will keep you updated once I receive a call from Time Warner ... I guess I am not that confident in a solution at this point based on everyone's response and experiences.

Message 11 of 34
revolultrablue
Aspirant

I did notice that netgear updated their website 3/16/2017 to show charter with the 1.01.12.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Message 12 of 34
sponger85
Guide

Hi DarrenM,

In my initial conversation with that TWC/Spectrum, they all claim they can not support modem that are user owned since they "do not have access to them". I am still waiting to hear back from L3 tech support but would like to have some information on hand prior to the call if possible.

Can you confirm if TWC/Spectrum is able to access the modem remotely to perform the firmware update?

Is this link https://kb.netgear.com/30114/ the only article to highlight the updates included in the firmware or is there anyone article which can provide other information? This seems to be a pretty serious security threat that should be resolved for owners of the unit.

Since it seems Netgear cannot update the firmware for users remotely and if TWC/Spectrum is unable too as well, is there an option to receive a new unit with updated firmware? It is obviously not smart to have a modem that needs obvious security fixes but cannot be updated.

I only purchased my unit almost one year ago and this should be an easy fix. There has to be a solutions for end users who value security of their IT networks.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

TWC argument that they cannot access the personally owned modems is nonsense.  They update THEIR equipment by sending a signal down the line to the gear.  In addition, most people who own their own modem would be more than willing to physically take their modems into a TWC office so they can "have access" to it.  I've never met two companies with such lousey customer service and who spew so much boolsheet.

Message 14 of 34
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello sponger85

With all modems on cable internet none of them can be manually updated the ISP updates all the modems and the manufacturers of the modems all send there FW to the ISP to approve and make changes and the ISP pushes it via there servers when they are ready to. But if you are having disconnect issues you should check your power levels and snr. Another thing to check is the modems logs if you are seeing T4 and T3 timeouts show up when you are losing internet this says there is a line issue of some sort and you should get the ISP to check the lines. Also if you have cable splitters on the modem try to remove them and connect the modem directly to the outlet see if the connection improves.

DarrenM

Message 15 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

Hi Darren -

What you say is the same as the Netgear website - BUT IT ISN'T TRUE.  Read the complaints.  Netgear won't update our modems and Time Warner Cable says they can't update them either.  As for my power levels, about the same time that I bought the modem, I had a TWC technician out to check on another problem.  He replaced all my cable from the street and into my house.  He even installed a 0db amplifier to make sure my levels were strong and consistent.  You cannot escape the fact that Netgear is selling a product that can soon become obsolete as the cable companies update their drivers and the Netgear modem can't keep up.  It's the same as if we were running Windows XP and trying to surf the Internet.  There are too many updates security and otherwise that would make us vulnerable to poor service.

One other point from the Netgear website, I haven't checked specifically but I think SOME modem models CAN be updated by Netgear.  It's just that THIS CM600 model cannot.  They should tell customers upfront which models can and cannot be updated before we waste $100.

Message 16 of 34
djc6
Luminary

@TonyinCNY wrote:

Hi Darren -

What you say is the same as the Netgear website - BUT IT ISN'T TRUE.  

Tony, what Darren said is true. There are zero (modern) cable modems from ANY manufacturer that are user upgradable. All of them require the firmware update to be installed via the cable interface. So, even if you did manage to get the firmware image somehow, you wouldn't be able to install it via the ethernet interface.

Netgear provides the cable company with the firmware, and the cable company will upgrade if they feel the need to. Comcast seems to keep up to date with firmware releases. Other cable companies usually take the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach. They will only push a firmware update if it fixes a specific problem being experienced by the customers.

What problem are you having and why do you think a firmware upgrade would help?

I challenge you to find a single DOCSIS 3.0 compatible modem - from any manufacturer - that is upgradable by the end user.

Message 17 of 34
djc6
Luminary

Also, now that Charter bought TWC there is no more modem rental fee. Have you considered just using their free modem? Then any issues are theirs to resolve and you'd get firmware updates.

My sister did this recently; she had TWC in Cleveland, sold the SB6141 she bought to avoid TWC modem rental fee and picked up free modem from local Charter office.
Message 18 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

My original problem was horrible Internet dropouts.  I would lose connection for 50% of the time that I was surfing.  After some Internet research, I updated my Dell computer, Microsoft Windows and Intel drivers and that cured most of the dropout problem.  But, I still get pages that don't load fully and slow changeover to other websites.  I'm supposed to have the 50 Mbps speed but it has never been better than 37 Mbps.  Most of the time, I can fix the slow page loading and any other problems by unplugging my modem for a minute and then turning it back on.  I think a technician told me that my side of town gets "bad" service and doing the off and on sometimes gets a better "connection".

After I upgraded all my other drivers, I noticed that my NETGEAR modem was not at the most current level as specified on the NETGEAR website for service with TWC-Spectrum.  In fact, I'm about three updates below what I should be.  So, I wanted to be current to eliminate any and all problems that I could.

Message 19 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

Now THAT I haven't heard about.  No monthly charge for using THEIR modem?  I'll get down to the local office on Monday and check that out.  Thanks for the heads-up.  It does seem a shame that I wasted $100 on that NETGEAR modem, though.

Message 20 of 34
djc6
Luminary

@TonyinCNY wrote:

Now THAT I haven't heard about.  No monthly charge for using THEIR modem?

Yes, there are many complaints online that Charter doesn't have a separate rental fee, so there is no savings by having your own modem.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-charter-cable-modems-20151117-story.html

Old FCC chair Tom Wheeler was trying to do something about this, I doubt Ajit Pai will:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/charter-fights-fccs-attempt-to-uncover-hidden...

I think using their modem since you are paying for it anyways will save you some grief. If anything, if you continue to have problems they can't blame it on customer owned equipment.

Message 21 of 34
krazeazn64
Aspirant

You are not alone my friends, I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii.... my cm600 firmware is V1.01.05

I have tried calling as well to technical support and the answer is that they do not upgrade user purchased cable modem firmware and to contact netgear to upgrade the firmware.  Who can I contact in netgear for support?  Thanks in advance!

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

link states latest firwmare for CM600 is V1.01.12

Message 22 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

As stated in the above comments, there is no one to contact at Netgear to get your modem firmware updated.  They just don't do it.  The sell these pieces of crap that quickly become obsolete AND NEVER INFORM THE CUSTOMER ABOUT THE INABILITY TO KEEP THE FIRMWARE UP TO DATE.

Message 23 of 34
djc6
Luminary

@TonyinCNY wrote:

As stated in the above comments, there is no one to contact at Netgear to get your modem firmware updated.  They just don't do it.  The sell these pieces of crap that quickly become obsolete AND NEVER INFORM THE CUSTOMER ABOUT THE INABILITY TO KEEP THE FIRMWARE UP TO DATE.

This has nothing to do with Netgear; it has everything to do with poor support from the ISP.

No cable modem is customer upgradable.

Example, tuesday morning at 8:58AM I emailed Cox saying can you please upgrade my modem to V1.01.12 from V1.01.06 and it was DONE at 9:16AM - so 18 minute turn around?  I just feel like blaming Netgear for your ISP's poor support is misguided. 

Message 24 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

When my television breaks, I don't blame the cable company.  I blame the TV manufacturer.  When my car breaks, I don't blame the road or the car wash or the gas station.  I blame the car manufacturer.  The MANUFACTURER created and designed this product - this modem.  The MOST LOGICAL place to go for firmware upgrading for ANY electronic product IS BACK TO THE MANUFACTURER.  Stop trying to pass the buck and absolve yourselves from blame by saying that some third party has to update the firmware.  THEY ONLY AUTHORIZE THE USE OF THE MODEM.  They have nothing to do with its' design or function.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7