Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM600 firmware not upgraded by Time Warner Cable

djc6
Luminary

@TonyinCNY wrote:

They have nothing to do with its' design or function.

It has everything to do with the design.  In order for your ISP to allow you use to the Netgear CM600, it has to be DOCSIS certified.  The DOCSIS specification says firmware update cannot come from CPE interface.

Message 26 of 34
TonyinCNY
Star

DOCSIS certification is an engineering standard that makes sure that an electronic device will be compatible with another company's electronics system.  NETGEAR created and designed this CM600 modem AND PUT IN THE INITIAL FIRMWARE PROGRAM.  Therefore, they should be able to UPGRADE THEIR OWN PRODUCT when an ISP is unwilling or unable to do so.

When folks don't get the proper service they need from an auto dealership, THEY GO TO THE MANUFACTURER to complain.  Then, the manufacturer brings pressure to bear on the dealership to get the work done or the manufacturer finds another way to get the job done for the product owner.  

NETGEAR just wants to sell modems which soon become obsolete and outdated and then wash their hands of the matter.  NETGEAR accepts NO RESPONSIBILITY for keeping a customer's product operating at peak performance.  THAT IS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE and the reason why I and those who read these posts will never buy another NETGEAR product and will continue to give them one star ratings to warn others.

Message 27 of 34
djc6
Luminary

@TonyinCNY wrote:

DOCSIS certification is an engineering standard that makes sure that an electronic device will be compatible with another company's electronics system.

Yes, and part of that standard includes software update prodecure.  Since the cable co controls firmware updates, they can test firmware for any compatibility issues prior to pushing it out so make sure there is no harm to the network:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4639#section-3.2.1

@TonyinCNY wrote:

NETGEAR just wants to sell modems which soon become obsolete and outdated and then wash their hands of the matter.  NETGEAR accepts NO RESPONSIBILITY for keeping a customer's product operating at peak performance.

What make/model modem do you recommend?
Message 28 of 34
sokalski
Aspirant

I bought a CM600 a few days ago from Amazon as TWC-Spectrum was installing cable service.  It must be an obselete product because the Firmware is v1.01.05 not v1.01.12 as on the approved list for cable modems and the up to date Firmware.  The Quick Start guide is dated November 2015 which shows this must be an end of life product since neither Netgear or TWC-Spectrum will up date the Firmware to the latest v1.01.12 version.  In addition, the CM600 ethernet led continually flashes green, and when downloading a file the modem starts fast and then about half way through stops with intermitent bursts of a few hundred KB of data, then nearly a minute later it resumes at full speed.  TWC-Spectrum denies that their system is programmed to interrup a download stream. 

If Netgear will not provide me the software to upgrade the Firmware to v1.01.12 via the ethernet port in a week, I will have to return the CM600 to Amazon as an obselete and defective product for a refund.

Message 29 of 34
djc6
Luminary

@sokalski wrote:

If Netgear will not provide me the software to upgrade the Firmware to v1.01.12 via the ethernet port in a week, I will have to return the CM600 to Amazon as an obselete and defective product for a refund.

They're not going to, might as well return it now.

What modem do you plan on buying that won't have this problem?  It doesn't seem Time Warner/Charter updates customer owned modems.  

The CM600 is probably the best DOCSIS 3.0 modem available - its the only one with a Broadcom chipset that does 24 downstream channels - great if you neighborhood's node is congested.  Do yourself a favor and search for 'intel puma 6' to avoid purchasing any modems that use that chipset.  Your only alternatives are to get a modem with a 16 downstream channel broadcom chipset, or move to an expensive DOCSIS 3.1 modem.  Since those are very new, I wouldn't get one with an ISP that doesn't update firmware.  I'm sure they have firmware bugs too.

I am also suspicious that your problems are firmware related.  What are your signal levels (upstream/downstream) and correctable/uncorrectable codeword stats?  May be easiest to post a screenshot of the modem admin page.

Since Charter/Spectrum doesn't have a modem rental fee, why not just use their modem and not worry about firmware updates?

Message 30 of 34
Jryan619
Star

Do t listen to the guy saying they will push it out. You have version 5, that router is up to version 13. It will work up to 1000mbps, and than it turns into toast if you get 300Mbps service. 

Message 31 of 34
yardarttx
Aspirant

Frustrated?  You bet cha.  Same dropped connectivity that I began to experience aboout 11/22/2017.  No matter how many service calls, or upper teir support personnel I deal with, everyone passed the buck, back n forth.  Never in the history of modern computing (been in the industry now for 40 years) have I experienced such a cocophany of bulltihs in my life.  NetGear says to go through the ISP, the ISP tells me that they cannot update my personally owned equipment.  I live out in the sticks in central Texas, and the only ISP here is a little company called SuddenLink (I call them SuddenStink) who've apparently never heard of a concept called "customer service".  Getting the same feeling from NetGear these days, despite owning and maintaining a NetGear ReadyNAS^ Ultra, Arlo home video system, and the CM600 (un-upgradeable) cable modem (stuck in the forever limbo of version .05).

Are we as customers to believe that all involved parties, including US the OWNERS of this equipment, meant to be held hostage by this double speak of actionable issues that we bring up to both our ISP's as well as the company that we've placed our hard earned money into their pockets?  What the lleH is going on here?  All I want (as a paying customer) is a product that can be maintained (as NetGear obviously understands since they develop the FW upgrades to their equipment) to a standard of which I should be entitled to.

Someone in authority at NetGear needs to contact me directly, and get the BS resolved.

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 32 of 34
tonybrady
Aspirant

TO ADD INSULT TO INURY - I bought a NETGEAR wireless router (AC1750).  After a couple weeks, IT CUT MY INTERNET SPEED IN HALF.  I was ready to raise hell with Time Warner until I took the router out and hard-wired everything.  My speed went back to normal.  And, NO, their support offered no solutions for that gear, either.

Fool me once, shame on YOU.  Fool me twice, shame on ME.  That'll be the last NETGEAR item I ever buy.

Message 33 of 34
kjoshj
Tutor

Please Read:

NO CABLE MODEM MANUFACTURER CAN UPDATE FIRMWARE.

This is the biggest reason to not have a Modem/Router Combo! If your ISP refuses to update firmware, they think it will not solve any problem, you should rent a modem or deal with out of date firmware and whatever performance or security issues that entails.

ONLY THE ISP can provide Firmware updates as has been said many times! ISPs will not let untested firmware run on their network, otherwise it would be easy to spoof and steal service or remove speed caps in config files. Most L1 tech support do not know the difference between a modem and a router, the L1 tech I got today said that they did not update firmware on customer owned equipment, I asked to talk to L2 or a supervisor, and the tech said he wasn't lying to me. I replied that I didn't think he was, but that he had bad information. He put me on hold and called L2 support and came back a few minutes later saying that L2 would help me with getting a new firmware pushed to my modem. A few minutes later the update was on it's way.

I was running 1.01.05 out of the box, purchased in March 2018 from Amazon. Netgear support website says that Cox has approved 1.01.14. After the L2 tech pushed the update and the modem came back online I went to the Modem IP and now I am on version 1.01.12. Until Cox decides to push 1.01.14, there is nothing I can do to update. Maybe persistance will let you talk to the right tech to get the updates pushed, you have to talk to the technical expert support, not the guys working with scripts and call quotas.

Any tech who claims that Netgear can update the firmware is lying or misinformed if it is a modem approved by the ISP.

I didn't even need to contact Netgear support becuase I've read threads like this on every modem manufacturer webpage, customers who do not understand that the manufacturer cannot update firmware on Cable modems need to just rent a modem and be done with it.

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7