Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM600 lost speed after replacing decrepit old ubee modem ?? spectrum internet

DocSalvage
Aspirant

CM600 lost speed after replacing decrepit old ubee modem ?? spectrum internet

Hi folks--hoping I may get some response--this is stumping me.  Excited to have a pretty new CM600 and retiring the old Ubee from Spectrum--kept having drops on a regular basis.   Called Spectrum and got them to update the new modem, got online just fine--but speeds have dropped like crazy--rechecked with the modem hooked to my pc only, and still the 30-40 mps--the modem itself has little I can change in the settings--any ideas?  Trying to post log below--thank you

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM600 lost speed after replacing decrepit old ubee modem ?? spectrum internet

Contact your ISP and have them check the line signal and quality up to the modem. 

Also be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in between the modem and ISP service box. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
DocSalvage
Aspirant

Re: CM600 lost speed after replacing decrepit old ubee modem ?? spectrum internet

Event log attached

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

well from your connection page, you're line has issues would be my guess. You have strengths from 3dbmv to -17 dbmv on your downloads. Thats not good. You should be within a couple dbmv range for all of them. ideal range is roughly 8 to -8 dbmv. Most all of your channels are good except for channels 2,3, and kind of 4.  I'd have spectrum check your line for issues. Also try removing any splitter, bad connectors, amplifiers, or any other devices that are in your coax line that could be causing issues 

Message 3 of 9
DocSalvage
Aspirant

Message 4 of 9
DocSalvage
Aspirant

Thank you!   So all that looks normal except for the line issues?   I'm having problems understanding why the other modem ran things faster if the line is the problem.  My apologies, not dissing your help--but why would the old ubee run better?   Are the newer modems more sensitive?   I have figured out that I dern well better get some cat 7 cable and get under the house with it.  Thanks much plemans!   hope you have a good weekend.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

maybe the old ubee was a 8x4 device and the channels it connected on were fine since there wasn't as many? or similar. 

Or maybe during replacment, the coax line was bent and thats giving you the poor connection.

or maybe a connector was messed up during replacment.

there's several different things that could cause the old one to be faster than the new one when the line is showing problems.

I'd start with fixing your connection issue for the modem and then worry about other errors. The other errors/problems could be the connection and its best to have that figured out first before moving on. 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact your ISP and have them check the line signal and quality up to the modem. 

Also be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in between the modem and ISP service box. 

Message 7 of 9
DocSalvage
Aspirant

Hi folks--thanks for the responses--I think you are correct--puzzled me about the other modem being faster until the channel issue was explained.   The extra channels were actually hurting the performance based on y'alls prior reply.  I'm going to take the wires apart at the box and give them a good clean and put some "magic in a bottle" on them (contact enhancer) and see if that helps.  I suspect I will be getting Spectrum out here.   When this setup was originally installed,  the Spectrum guy had the wire hanging so low you could reach up and grab it.   I called several times and no one would come fix it,  so I got my come-along out and ratcheted the cable up myself and secured it.   Probably didn't help any, although I was putting the pressure on the "guide wire" part of the cable.   I'll post an update when I clean the cable ends--Thanks much!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7