Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CMD31T Connection Lost

segroves
Aspirant

CMD31T Connection Lost

I'm a retired snowbird with two homes.  I have SmartThings systems in both homes so I leave my Internet on in each home year round.  My northern home has a Netgear CMD31T cable modem.  Last year ( 2015) on Oct. 25th, my modem stopped working and would not reconnect or reset.  I had a friend go to my home and spent almost two hours trying everything we could think of the get the modem to connect with no results.  

We gave up, knowing that I would be returning for the week of Christmas.  I ordered a new modem and had it shipped to my daughter's home, planning to take a day to go to my house and install the new modem.  On Dec. 19th, the day before I was to fly home, the CMD31T came back online.  And worked without flaw until - wait for it - Oct. 25, 2016.

It seems obvious that this is a firmware issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.  I've asked Time Warner to reboot from their end but of course they've disabled the hard reset.  So they can't push a firmware update until it comes back online - hopefully in another month.  

Model: CMD31T|Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: CMD31T Connection Lost

Hello Segroves 

It will be really hard to figure out why the modem is going offline without getting the logs of the modem.  And that is really odd it goes out on the same day of the year do you think someone near that home is messing with the cable?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
segroves
Aspirant

I can't get at the logs as I'm 1500 miles away and the modem won't reboot.  But for the sake of discussion let's say that someone somehow managed to fault out the modem - without getting into the house.  I'm assuming that this could be done by them disconnecting the incoming cable from cable company box on the exterior of the house and then reattaching it or something like that.  And the obvious quesiton is why would someone go to all of that effort?  But again, for the sake of discussion, let's say they did. 

So why won't the modem now reboot?  Last year I asked a friend to go to the house and he spent about 90 minutes, unplugging the modem and restarting it.  Disconnecting it from the coax, disconnecting power and then rebooting it, connecting the coax back and every possible we could think of.  We finally gave up.  And on Dec. 19th, mysteriously, it rebooted, on it's own.  I can't be sure that there wasn't a power bump or something that triggered it, but something happened.  It then worked the rest of the winter, without any problems.

I'm hoping something similar will happen again this year.  If not, on Dec. 23rd, I'll be back in Boston for Christmas and I'll replace it.

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello segroves 

It is really hard to tell if that is the problem it could of been a cable tech doing a repair for someone else and you got disconnected or someone looking to steal cable just some things that come to my mind I worked for a cable company for years and heard things like this happening but it could be the modem to but like you said you are not at that home to see.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7