Cable Modem Router speed

CaliJG
Aspirant

Cable Modem Router speed

Hi, I recently upgrated to the Cox Gigablast internet service offering 

• Up to 940 Mbps download
  • Up to 35 Mbps upload
  • 1.25 TB (1,280 GB) data plan

My speed tests are reporting 250 download and 20 upload.  

Any idea how to troubleshoot?  

Cox says the model I have is compatiable and should work.  

Thanks in advance.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cable Modem Router speed

Are you speed testing with a wired PC? 

Message 2 of 4
CaliJG
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your help.  No I am not using a wired internet connection on my laptop to perform the test.  It's a wireless connection.

Message 3 of 4
decosse
Apprentice

(I made a lengthy post on this last night and today it's gone!!!!???) 

Try to use Ethernet connection - you say you have laptop, take it to where the Router is located and use a minimum Cat6 Cable to connect it directly 

If you must use WiFi, then ensure that you are at least in same room as the router - 5G gives excellent speed but can be compromised by walls between your device and router. 

Be sure you are connecting to a local server for your speedtest - some apps or websites may use a server that is located far from you; I use Ookla Speedtest - that will use the location with the shortest ping and additionally you can confiigure to select from a lost of other local servers; apps are available from Ookla for direct install for Windows, Android, Mac and IOS 

Be sure that nothing else is connected and hogging bandwidth at same time as you are doing your speed test - if another device is streaming 4K movie for example! Even other devices like security camera, doorbell monitor etc 

How is your router connected to your incoming co-ax? Direct connection or via splitters (for TV boxes). How many splits are in line? For purpose of test, try to elminate any splitters on your co-ax line and connect directly to your router. 

If all that still yields same result, contact your provider to come out and test your line. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7