Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cable Modems

scorpio012
Tutor

Cable Modems

Hello Everyone, I would like your advice on buying a new modem and a new separate router that would both work well together? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on either and my price range would be about $75 for each unit.  I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice about what would work well together? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes they would work well. 

Please contact your ISP first to ensure they support the CM500 series modem officially. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can look into a CM500 or CM1000. You would first need to see what cable modems are officially supported by your ISP first. Not all ISP support various model modems. Most modems nowdays run about $100 bucks. 

$75 won't get you anything new by todays standards and what is available for wifi routers. You could possible find some used on Amazon for that price that would be like a R6 series router maybe. Wifi routers need to be kind of based on what your needs are and what devices to you have and is there room for growth or expansion. Best price for something new would be starting around maybe $100-150 

@scorpio012 wrote:

Hello Everyone, I would like your advice on buying a new modem and a new separate router that would both work well together? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on either and my price range would be about $75 for each unit.  I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice about what would work well together? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Message 2 of 11
scorpio012
Tutor

Thank you for taking the time to reply and offer your advice which I do appreciate. Could you recommend any more than the two you've already suggested? As I said earlier I would like the modem and router to be separate units, so are there any of those that would work well together? If possible I would prefer them to be able to be wall mounted only because of the tiny apartment I live in and the lack of decent spots to put them both in, but they don't have to be, but I would prefer it. I'm waiting on a call back from my ISP so he can tell me which ones they do support. If I understand you correctly you're saying that I should expect to spend anywhere from $200 to $250 for both units woukld that be a fair assumption? Thanks again and I'd like to hear back from you as soon as you can.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Who is your ISP? 

I presume this is a Cable ISP? Not DSL? 

Yes. New wifi routers usually cost about $170 for the lowest mode. You might find some good used ones on amazon if your interested in something like that where you can sometimes save money on uses routers that do work. I have bought a few off amazon and work well have I get them upgraded and configured. I got a few for under $100. 

You might look thru this list of wifi routers and see what may suite your needs:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/

Gaming or streaming and such, you may need something a bit higher in features. Just general stuff or some streaming, the you could go with something a bit less. 

Message 4 of 11
scorpio012
Tutor

Hello again, Thanks again for your help! I'm considering buying the Netgear cm500 modem and a Netgear AC1750 router and I'd like to ask you if they're a good match?

Message 5 of 11
scorpio012
Tutor

I meant to include the answers to your questions in my other post, but forgot:) My ISP provider is Nittany Media, Inc out of Lewistown, Pa.. They are a medium size business, but they handle nearly all of the internet in a very large area. Yes it's cable modem and not DSL. Thanks again

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes they would work well. 

Please contact your ISP first to ensure they support the CM500 series modem officially. 

Message 7 of 11
scorpio012
Tutor

Hi, I finally did purchase the cm 500 modem and the AC1750 router that you had suggested. I checked with my internet provider and was told that the modem and router would work with them. Then the problems began. I hooked up the modem first, but then couldn't access the internet. When I clicked on the internet icon after hooking up the modem, it said that I had limited access. Please remember that I know next to nothing about compouters and related equipment so I'm not sure what to do next? I'm not sure if you're familiar with the cm500 physical characteristics or not? There are five lights on the front of the modem. The on light was lit but the next two were red and the fourth which I'm assuming is the internet connection light was blinking and the last icon I have no idea what it represents?  It has one dot above the line and two below it. The little pamphlet that came with the modem said it might take up to ten minutes to connect, but I waited nearly twenty minutes and there wasn't any change. I sure could use some help if you can. Thanks

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to contact the ISP and have them associate the modem with there services first. 

@scorpio012 wrote:

Hi, I finally did purchase the cm 500 modem and the AC1750 router that you had suggested. I checked with my internet provider and was told that the modem and router would work with them. Then the problems began. I hooked up the modem first, but then couldn't access the internet. When I clicked on the internet icon after hooking up the modem, it said that I had limited access. Please remember that I know next to nothing about compouters and related equipment so I'm not sure what to do next? I'm not sure if you're familiar with the cm500 physical characteristics or not? There are five lights on the front of the modem. The on light was lit but the next two were red and the fourth which I'm assuming is the internet connection light was blinking and the last icon I have no idea what it represents?  It has one dot above the line and two below it. The little pamphlet that came with the modem said it might take up to ten minutes to connect, but I waited nearly twenty minutes and there wasn't any change. I sure could use some help if you can. Thanks

Message 9 of 11
scorpio012
Tutor

Hello and thanks for your help. I called my ISP and gave him the MAC number off of the modem and everything came to life again, with the exception of the router. When I hooked up the router everything seemed to go back to square one. I couldn't access the internet any more? So I've unhooked the router in order to send you thuis message. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks again

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of the router your using? 

Make contact with the Mfr of the router for help and information regarding this. 

Review any setup user manuals or guides to get the router connected to the modem. 

Power OFF the modem and router for 30 seconds, then back ON with the modem first and let it sync, Then power on the router. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7