Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can cm1150V support voip connections?

Netup
Aspirant

Can cm1150V support voip connections?

I have a guest house that is connected to the main house with Ethernet and cable.  There is no phone line to the guest house.  

The main house uses a Netgear Nighthawk CM1150V modem to connect to Comcast and provide tv, Ethernet and Voice (phone service).  Can I extend the Comcast Voice to the guest house using the Ethernet connection and another router with VOIP that communicates with the CM1150V?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Can cm1150V support voip connections?

you can install Another VoIP line (such as Vonage, ooma,) in guest house but you cannot extend Comcast-Voice into guest house using Ethernet. 

You can try installing high range wireless cordless phone but not sure how far your guest house is.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. It should work for that. Most modems and routers support VoIP communications. 

Message 2 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

you can install Another VoIP line (such as Vonage, ooma,) in guest house but you cannot extend Comcast-Voice into guest house using Ethernet. 

You can try installing high range wireless cordless phone but not sure how far your guest house is.

Message 3 of 5
Netup
Aspirant

@vkdelta wrote:

Ok, that's what I suspected.  The wireless phone is out of range, so that leaves 3rd party voip or the cable connection if I want to use Comcast Voice.  If I installed an additional cable modem with voice, I probably could get a new phone line, I will check with Comcast.

Message 4 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

I think you can buy second line on your account but they will charge you. Not sure if you get some kind of discount though. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7