Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't run Remote Desktop

AustinJerry
Aspirant

Can't run Remote Desktop

New to Netgear routers. Just replaced my linksys with a Netgear C3700. It seems like the ability for two devices on the network to see each other and communicate is being blocked. For example, I can't ping my laptop from my desktop anymore. And I used to be able to run Remote Desktop between two computers on the network, but I can no longer make a connection. Please help me to configure the router to re-enable computer-to-computer connections.

Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Can't run Remote Desktop

What OS are you using.

Most require you to select Home, Work or Public, because people couldn't figure out how to setup a network so they dummied it down. Like the public schools these days.
Message 2 of 7
AustinJerry
Aspirant

Yes, you are correct. After a bit of digging, I see the wireless network was set up as Public by default. Changing it to Home Network has resolved the issues--ping works, and Remote Desktop works as well.

I wish I would have been presented with the option during setup...

Issue closed.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

These pc connected with wireless or wired?

Some model has wireless isolation (To allow computers or wireless devices that join the network to use the Internet but not to access each other or access Ethernet devices on the network).

From changing linksys to netgear it is possible that you have seen network location should have pop up (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/choosing-network-location#1TC=windows-7)
Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

AustinJerry,

Not a netgear issues this time. LOL

You can go in and click on the House Icon and merge or delete previously connected networks. You can also choose treat all future networks connections the same.
Message 5 of 7
jlewter
Guide

The house next to the word "home network"..

I hate how MS did that, the option isn't that "Visible"... Once you know it's there your okay, but most tech people don't tend to randomly click pictures in hopes of changing settings ;P....
Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

or stop to ask directions LOL
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements