Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't update N600 (C3700 100NAS) firmware nor disable IPv6

Huston1976
Aspirant

Can't update N600 (C3700 100NAS) firmware nor disable IPv6

I have a N600 WiFi cable modem Router and I cannot update its firmware. I went to advanced-Administration and there isn't an option. The firmware is way outdated but I cannot update it! How can I update it? Also, I want to disable IPv6 as I understand it will help with a Chrome/Facebook issue where my cpu goes to 100% and the feed won't load. How do I do that?

Message 1 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Huston1976

You can not update the firmware on cable modems this update comes from the ISP automatically.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 15
Huston1976
Aspirant

How do I go about getting them to get off their butts and update me to the latest version? They are way behind.

Message 3 of 15
chiefdn
Guide

And how do we get updates for ISP's that are not listed, for routers purchased from a retail outlet by the end user?  Seems highly inappropriate to sell a product that netgear wont support unless its acquired through an ISP.  

Message 4 of 15

Am unsure whether issue remains unresolved, as original post and comments are somewhat dated, but am sharing my experience that may be of benefit...

Similarly have C3700 unit (originally purchased with OEM firmware V1.01.11) which has been upgraded to current V2.02.08 by Comcast xfinity ISP.

As DarrenM has commented below, Netgear cannot directly upgrade firmware (and does not provide means for customer to upgrade firmware themselves) -- firmware version is controlled entirely by ISP.

That said, for Comcast xfinity ISP, contacting their general technical support line is generally useless, as likely you will be connected to offshore call center whose operators have little to no technical expertise and simply regurgitating call script. Instead, directly contact Comcast Tier 2/3 Advanced Repair Dept in Denver, CO (higher level support that call centers eventually escalate to) -- their direct phone number is: 800-718-7419

True, as has been commented on other related posts, Comcast xfinity ISP cannot manually "force" firmware updates, as firmware updates are automatically controlled by their system infrastructure. Instead, what they can do, specifically have them re-provision your cable modem, which as part of provisioning process of identifying and connecting hardware credentials to your account, it will determine your modem's firmware version and download update if necessary.

Note, as indicated above, as of date, V2.02.08 is current firmware version, however, currently have open Netgear Support ticket (see post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/embedded-web-interface-fails-after-week-runtim...) in which Netgear has identified firmware flaw in that current version as root-cause of failing embedded web interface known issue, and is supposed to release firmware fix sometime.

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 5 of 15
MiamiLoco
Aspirant

Thank you VERY much for the information. I did what you said and now I currently have the latest firmware V2.02.16

Message 6 of 15
RobKat
Initiate

What did you do exactly to update it?

I have C3700 100NAS as well and my ISP is Spectrum - firmware version is V2.02.08

I'm worried about the Krack WPA2 and they dont seem to care about

Message 7 of 15

RobKat --

Am not familiar with Spectrum ISP, but according to Netgear Support's webpage listing current firmware versions for various modems and ISPs, including C3700 and Spectrum ISP (https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...) as of the webpage's 11-Oct-2017 last update date, your stated unit's V2.02.08 appears to already be the current approved version for Spectrum ISP -- the aforementioned V2.02.16 appears to be deployed only for Comcast ISP.

Message 8 of 15
RobKat
Initiate

StartboardBow

Thanks for your reply, but the firmware that Spectrum allows us to have doesn't imply that is safe for our router, or that our router is immune from Krack WPA2 issue. It's old and it's overwhelming not to have the possibility to choose the firmware we should have, the day Netgear will come out with the fix, if that they will ever come for older router like ours.Man Sad

Message 9 of 15
fireman5864
Initiate

netgear n600 c3700 firmware v. 1.01.11

I am needing the latest version of firmware as my modem/router is very slow and losing packets. I have ran speed test when I first got it 8 months ago and I check my speeds every week the past week they dropped drasticly. I got on your site was told the firmware had to be pushed by the isp. I contacted them they got on your site and here is a copy of the reply.

-------- Original message --------

Date: 11/7/17 08:17 (GMT-05:00)

To: Paul Vance <PVance@shepfire.com>

Cc: BCI Support <support@bardstowncable.net>

Subject: RE: netgear cable modem c3700 firmware update

Paul,

Unfortunately we are not able to push firmware updates to modems. After looking into the model of modem you have a bit I was able to find that you have a modem/router combo. Even though we cannot push a firmware update to the modem you should be able to log into the router page and do firmware updates from there. To access the router GUI online you will first need to open up internet explorer or whatever web browser that you use, from there you will want to type in either http://192.168.0.1 or http://routerlogin.net into the url and hit “Enter” on your keyboard. You should be presented with a login page that will ask you for a username and password. By default the username is admin and the password is password. Once logged into your router you should have the option to update your routers firmware. You may be able to find more helpful information on this page https://kb.netgear.com/24580/C3000-C3700-FAQs if you need help doing this you could always bring your modem and router in and out of courtesy we could have a look at it for you.  

Thank You,

Johnny

Bardstown Cable Internet Support Technician II

-------------------------------------------------------------

I took it to them they said I needed to contact NETGEAR. So, are you going to say again it is the isp problem. And can we get this resolved.

Message 10 of 15
jtrox
Aspirant

Wow I can't believe there is still so little communication and or understanding between the ISP and modem manufacturers!!

I am having Comcast installation in a couple days, I hope I don't have the same issues I had with WOW and if so I hope I can get through to someone that can get it updated. No one at WOW could. 

If not, I will have to buy a new modem and router, and I know for sure it will not be a Netgear since they are clearly not interested in fixing this disconnect between them and ISPs to improve the customers' experience.

Message 11 of 15
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@fireman5864

thank you for posting the email. 

We are surprised that Spectrum (AKA TimeWarner, AKA Charter) is spreading such mis-information. This case has been escalated to Spectrum's management and we will let them deal with it. 

Spectrum is extremely difficult to communicate with and they are "extremely" slow when it comes to FW upgrades even though NETGEAR pays them thousands of dollars in FW certification fees practically every month. I am sure other vendors have same problem with Spectrum. if you were on Comcast Xfintiy's network, you get FW upgrades pretty much 2-3 weeks within FW certification period (it could be much faster in some cases as well). 

It is very unfortunate you have to live with spectrum.  NTGR will attempt to reach out spectrum again to get confirmation but we are not sure if spectrum's response will be favourable. 

Message 12 of 15

jtrox --

In defense of Netgear, as has been noted in this as well as other post trails on this forum, Netgear (nor any modem manufacturer for that matter) cannot independently update their firmware directly to end-user customer -- firmware updates must first be tested/certified by the ISP to work with their infrastructure who in turn pushes the firmware to the subscriber -- obviously ISPs need to verify incompatible make/mode/version modems are not connected to their infrastructure creating problems for all subscribers.

As noted in my earlier post above dated 04-Aug-2017, contacting Comcast general technical support line is generally useless; instead contact Comcast Tier 2/3 Advanced Repair support in Denver, CO (direct 800 number noted above) True, they may tell you since your modem is customer-supplied (versus rented unit which has custom Comcast firmware allowing them remote troubleshooting capability) they cannot troubleshoot your modem, but specifically have them re-provision your modem. Since from your post, sounds like you would be new Comcast subscriber so provisioning should happen anyway, but for benefit of other existing subscribers, as noted above, part of their provisioning process of identifying and connecting the modem MAC to your account, it determines your modem's firmware version and automatically downloads update if necessary, so re-provisioning your modem "forces" this detection and update process if needed.

Also as noted in my earlier post above dated 18-Oct-2017, link to Netgear Support's webpage listing current firmware versions for various modems and ISPs shows as of date, the current C3700 firmware version certified by Comcast is V2.02.16

Message 13 of 15
fireman5864
Initiate

first I dont have comcast nor spectrum the city i live in has its own cable and internet service. they have said they dont care if the firmware is updated by the consumer. so right now this brick and i do mean brick will not get a firmware update from the manufacturer and programmer of said unit is what i am gathering from you. so, again let me be clear bardstown cable internet is not owned or affiliated with spectrum time warner comcast att. the phone number to reach them is  502 348 5947 24 hours a day. i understand it is unfathomable that spectrum comcast and uverse dont rule the whole internet world but its true they dont. i am wondering why this is such a difficult task i used to get firmware updates from the website. so to say no modem manufacturer will do this is a little false. they just dont want to. its like ford building a car and no one making parts for it.

Message 14 of 15

fireman5864 --

Am not familiar with Bardstown Cable -- simple web search shows them to be holding company of City of Bardstown, KY, offering cable services to 4 zip codes in KY.

Given their small regional size and government affiliation, seriously doubt they are Tier 1 or 2 ISP (access provider that actually owns and operates the physical network infrastructure) instead they likely are Virtual ISP (operator that resells services from another ISP -- similar to cellular MVNOs like Boost Mobile, Cricket Wireless, MetroPCS that resell services on Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile's networks respectively)

You could probably run trace route on your internet connection to see if Bardstown's network hops to another major ISP's network. That said, assuming Bardstown Cable really is VISP, you are probably SOL, and have to pursue other options for your internet service.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7