Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you add additional routers to a currently currently registered cable internet?

ragnar2099
Follower

Can you add additional routers to a currently currently registered cable internet?

I currently have a vendor supplied modem with a nighthawk wifi.  My son needs to connect with an ethernet cable, so I have a cable running across my livingroom floor to his bedroom.  I am tired of hearing my wife B and moan about it.   My son has a cable connection in his room can I add a modem/router to that connection then hardwire to his PC?

In other words, I already have a internet connection in one room of my house which supplies the whole house.  Can I add another connection with a  new modem/router in a different room of my house?

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can you add additional routers to a currently currently registered cable internet?

Maybe however the ISP would have to check the cable connection to see if it's an option they can do. 

What you should do is either find an alternative route for your LAN cable connection from the router to the other room, like under the home if you in a home if possible. Or another option would be to install a wifi bridge device in the remote room and connect it to the wifi router wirelessly, then wire connect his devices to the back of the wireless bridge. I've done this on occasion and works pretty good. 

Alos might look into a wireless bridge system too:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wbc502.aspx

Another alternative would be a power line system as well. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7