Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cax80 disconnects

BEB7474
Star

Cax80 disconnects

I know you guys are working on this issue, but whatever changes you've recently made has made my wifi a living nightmare. It worked great up until last wk. Now its worse than its ever been. This product shouldve never been released w/all these connection issues. What a waste of time and $.
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Does it work better after a reboot (for a period)?

If so, go to ip ipdress/debug.htm   for example:  192.168.1.1/debug.htm

uncheck the logging/packet capture. 
i've found it enable after rebooting mine and it'll work great for a period and then lockup/drop. With that unchecked, it works fine. 

But for some reason, whenever I reboot, its rechecked. 

Message 2 of 11
tamanaco
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

Does it work better after a reboot (for a period)?

If so, go to ip ipdress/debug.htm   for example:  192.168.1.1/debug.htm

uncheck the logging/packet capture. 
i've found it enable after rebooting mine and it'll work great for a period and then lockup/drop. With that unchecked, it works fine. 

But for some reason, whenever I reboot, its rechecked. 

@plemansGood catch. I've been experiencing slouggish performance and disconnect issues after a few days. Usually, between 4 to 6 days. Rebooting resolves the issues sometimes, but at other times I have to reset and restore the router. See my recent  post  in this thread where I outlined the issues that I've experiencing with the CAX80 connected to Spectrum. I tried contacting one of the Moderators via private message to see if I can get a hold of the beta firmware release (v2.1.0.4), but I have yet to receive a reply. I tried calling Netgear Support, but I have not found the time wait on the phone to get a hold of a 2nd level technician. Hopefully, a firmware update that fixes some of these issues is in the pipeline and will be release soon. I feel like I paid a lot of money for a router that has to be rebooted every few days. Before this router I had a Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) that I purchased in 2011 connected to Spectrum via a Motorola/ARRIS Modem model SB6183 that I purchased in 2014. I only had to reboot this setup may once or twice a year, Including reboots for firmware updates.

My believe is that there's a memory leak in the current 1.1.0.41  firmware that is eating away at the available RAM storage of the CAX80 router. I'm going to disable the LAN/WAN Packet Capture option on that page to see if unchecking this option resolves the issue. Capturing and saving all these packets "could" produce a symptom similar to a memory leak as the router runs out storage to save the captured packets.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

I also noticed when it was enabled the cpu was pegged at 100% for both  cores. That can degrade performance as well. 

Message 4 of 11
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Pls post connection table + Event log + Network logs screenshots for review.

Message 5 of 11
tamanaco
Apprentice

"My believe is that there's a memory leak in the current 1.1.0.41  firmware that is eating away at the available RAM storage of the CAX80 router. I'm going to disable the LAN/WAN Packet Capture option on that page to see if unchecking this option resolves the issue. Capturing and saving all these packets "could" produce a symptom similar to a memory leak as the router runs out storage to save the captured packets."

Well, no matter what I tried I continued to have issues with the router. I sent it back and received a replacement 2 days ago. So far, I have not encounter the issues I mentioned before with the new one. Same 1.01 hardware release and Router + Modem firmware versions. Fingers Crossed.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you had a faulty unit. If you run into this again, "Pls post connection table + Event log + Network logs screenshots for review."

Message 7 of 11
dadabunchie
Aspirant

Hi @plemans,

How do you view the Memory and CPU usage of the CAX80?  I don't see this info on the Admin page of the device.

Thanks

@plemans wrote:

I also noticed when it was enabled the cpu was pegged at 100% for both  cores. That can degrade performance as well. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

modem IP address\debug.htm

Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

did that fix your problem? i'm having a problem with mine rebooting itself and im on spectrum.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

@Retired_Member wrote:

did that fix your problem? i'm having a problem with mine rebooting itself and im on spectrum.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7